New Skill Development - Part 2

"
kongyuyu wrote:
Isnt "-26% reduced" means 26% increased?

I agree with that, it is confusing to see both negative and reduced in the same statement.
nvm
Last edited by PureRhymes on Feb 16, 2015, 9:10:16 PM
"
Uvne wrote:
Yes, kill IC/EC/CwDT. I think we all know that it's far better for the game in the long run. Saying that the reason it might not happen is that it affects existing characters is effectively admitting that you're allowing the game to be held back by prior mistakes. Address the resulting issues, like physical reflect, in their own right; don't let the mandatory 4L bandaid hold the rest of the game hostage. Moreover, all the "cast" and "spell" tag support gems are clearly balanced with offensive destruction magic-style abilities in mind, with the support stuff as an afterthought. CwDT and Echo both directly penalize damage as their primary way of balancing their different improvements to temp. If you implement Warcries as "cast" now, you will only create headaches for yourself down the road, because you'll be forced to balance them around the superior abusive cases resulting from the "cast" tag being far too general.

On the other hand, imagine a "Warcry Improve on Damage Taken" support that allows for a double-effectiveness Warcry, but locks it like a Vaal gem until a certain damage threshold is reached. This would further push warcries as a reward for frontlines melee builds. Removing the "cast" tag makes space for far better options that fit the combat role of these new skills more.

In a game like PoE, being able to specialize further is nearly always a good thing. This opens up powerful warcry radius/effectiveness/speed options. This is the unique, exclusive kind of buff that melee needs, and there's no sense in tying them to a caster stat because "spell" has historically been the catch-all bin for "skill that isn't a direct damage attack." Make the change you know you need to make. The minor cost of player education isn't worth the uncountable cost of the 5+year future of the game, and melee specifically.

Also consider making warcries grant additional pseudotargets for magic/rare/unique monsters.

I agree with this post 100%
And in response to this change monsters now deal significantly less physical damage (down ~75% in extreme examples but generally more around 25-50% reduction)

Right?

Because otherwise melee is fucked even more than it already is. Ignoring IC for a moment, the lack of damage reduction granted by endurance charges from not being able to react to massive spike damage will be extremely destructive.
"
Uvne wrote:
Yes, kill IC/EC/CwDT. I think we all know that it's far better for the game in the long run. Saying that the reason it might not happen is that it affects existing characters is effectively admitting that you're allowing the game to be held back by prior mistakes. Address the resulting issues, like physical reflect, in their own right; don't let the mandatory 4L bandaid hold the rest of the game hostage. Moreover, all the "cast" and "spell" tag support gems are clearly balanced with offensive destruction magic-style abilities in mind, with the support stuff as an afterthought. CwDT and Echo both directly penalize damage as their primary way of balancing their different improvements to temp. If you implement Warcries as "cast" now, you will only create headaches for yourself down the road, because you'll be forced to balance them around the superior abusive cases resulting from the "cast" tag being far too general.

On the other hand, imagine a "Warcry Improve on Damage Taken" support that allows for a double-effectiveness Warcry, but locks it like a Vaal gem until a certain damage threshold is reached. This would further push warcries as a reward for frontlines melee builds. Removing the "cast" tag makes space for far better options that fit the combat role of these new skills more.

In a game like PoE, being able to specialize further is nearly always a good thing. This opens up powerful warcry radius/effectiveness/speed options. This is the unique, exclusive kind of buff that melee needs, and there's no sense in tying them to a caster stat because "spell" has historically been the catch-all bin for "skill that isn't a direct damage attack." Make the change you know you need to make. The minor cost of player education isn't worth the uncountable cost of the 5+year future of the game, and melee specifically.

Also consider making warcries grant additional pseudotargets for magic/rare/unique monsters.

VERY well put. /agree
Undoing mistakes is almost the same as making them. The perceived "risk" is different.

And I'd like to see banners on warcries because it would make me feel nostalgic.

There's nothing wrong with self cast Enduring Cry, Immortal Call, I've just got hang ups on Immortal Call be too good.
"
Gotta love how stable the metagame is in PoE.

LOL.

I hope everyone's ready to completely start over, not just in terms of character but in terms of build philosophy, ideas of 'good' items and the usual BS of 'relearning' skills.

The trigger gems were a mistake to begin with.

It'll be interesting to see what mistakes they make this time around.

This is explicitly a pushback against trigger gems, especially if they go for the new tag approach. It also attempts to rectify melee problems by giving them buffs/debuffs that synergize with melee-range combat. What exactly is your criticism here?
why would abyssal cry be any better than temporal chains?
Lol i love the banner idea, would love it if my character does "war-cry" and places a banner in the ground from which the aoe radiates lel.

It would be cool actually if these could act like static aura banners would give melee a "space to fight in" that could be utilized strategically.

But it's all good, HYPU.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Gotta love how stable the metagame is in PoE.

LOL.

I hope everyone's ready to completely start over, not just in terms of character but in terms of build philosophy, ideas of 'good' items and the usual BS of 'relearning' skills.

The trigger gems were a mistake to begin with.

It'll be interesting to see what mistakes they make this time around.

You need to find a new hobby my friend. Relax with POE... Just because you donated 15,000+ doesn't mean you should be addicted to the game you're overthinking. Relax......

I know it's hard with that much money invested, but seriously.
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Feb 16, 2015, 9:39:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info