Questions about 6-linked items

Hi everyone !
I have been playing POE for two months now, mostly in standard. I gathered some currency, traded some items with poe.trade and I am wondering about 6-linked items. I want one but they seem soooo expensive to buy :(.
I bought The Searing Touch and Carcass Jack with decent rolls and I tried to 6 link them myself for my builds. I 6 socket-ed them both fairly soon and started to link them. However as soon as I hit the 5 link (in around 100 fusings each item)I stopped since I was afraid to go broke. I figure I can sell them later if I need the currency.
My questions are:
Is this smart or should I go all in until I get the 6 link ?
Is it better to gather currency and buy the 6 link from the start?
Do you prefer master crafting 6 link for 1500 fusings?
Are these unique items worth of 6 linking in the first place :D ?
When 6 linking items how many fusings should I have ?
Should I use Blacksmith's Whetstone/Armourer's Scrap when trying to 6-link ?

Sorry for so many questions but I am wondering :D
Thank you and GL !
most people use the craft masters to link important gear to 6l or they jsut buy the 6l.

the 1500 fusing price tag has pretty much set the price in stone. but it is worth it to eliminate the horror stories ( some never link not even in 5000)
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Feb 13, 2015, 7:06:34 AM
this will be just from my point of view:
> never use a master for linking unless its a corrupted (since its the only way)
>> 6linking with bench costs 1.5k fusing which is 1500/40 exalteds...
> 6linking can take x-xxxx fuses if u do it manually and there wont be any guaranty.
>> iam at like 500-600 avg fusing needed for 6Ls (done over 40times) thats slightly 12-15Ex invest in avg.
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
Last edited by Doe on Feb 13, 2015, 7:18:59 AM
lol clearly you have not met the fellas that didnt fuse his armor in 8000 fusing

we arent talking about a stupidly rich fella who can beat out the rng by sheer volume we are talking about 1 6l that if it fails will probably cause the guy to give up on 6ls
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Feb 13, 2015, 7:22:07 AM
I play since closed beta and the only 6link Item I ever had is a Tabula Rasa that I even had to buy, didn't even find that myself.
That's why he said it's his PoV. All PoV matter to help the OP.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
true , still gotta mention how bad the variation can be if you are going to also mention a number as low as 600 otherwise the guy might go insane if his next linking attempt goes bad
The Carcass Jack is a universally useful armor for many different builds and definitely worth getting a 6L on if you can. That being said, a 5L is usually the end of it for most players. If you are into heavy trading then you could eventually save up the 1500 Fusings but from a mostly self found perspective, that is pretty much out of the question.
What you could do is saving up to around 200 fusings then use them on your 5L. Stop at the next 5L or luck out and get a 6L before that. I only ever 6-linked one item this way but it is relatively safe since it will only take you some 50-100 fusings usually for a 5L.
You could also buy another 6s Carcass Jack so you don't have to worry about bricking your main one and simply throw on all fusings you get. Sell it for +1ex when you hit a 5L and buy another 6s and restart the fusing and so on. From a budget perspective that is probably one of the most economical approaches but personally i hate every minute i have to deal with what often comes down to mostly afk traders.

Regarding Quality when linking: The chance to 6L an item is higher the lower the number of links it currently has since it cannot roll the exact same combination twice in a row. I usually put on 1-3 Scraps but up to 10 if it has very few links. I don't remember the exact numbers beind this but if you are interested, i can look up and link the thread about that (confirmed by GGG btw) later when i get back home.
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
Thank you for your reply everyone , you are really helpful :) I guess i will gather some currency and see than .I might try to re 5-link the items again and maybe I get lucky.
avg price in Standard for fusing orb is 40fusing = 1 ex
1500 fusing = 37.5 ex

Which still very expensive for normal player. I will suggest people to go and buy a 6L item if the price is lower than 37.5ex...The reason is as above mentioned, you may end up with spend more currency than using the Master's service.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1119850
Selling Crit Bow ilvl 68-75 (Mostly White)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info