[1.3] Static Strike - 2H - Reduced Duration... whaa?

So I've seen a crapload of Static Strike builds that stack attack speed and crit. This is all well and good, but when you see the videos you notice that mobs die before the aoe goes off. So why use SS in that case?

The focus of this build is to capitalize on the aoe and use it as part of my dps. Because of this, we really don't need very much attack speed. Maybe enough to bring a 2H attack to .45... but I'm just guessing. The problem with this is that the tooltip won't take the aoe damage into consideration, I'm completely assuming that I can squeeze two explosions within 1 second with a 20/20 Reduced Duration gem. This would give me about 20231 + (20231 * .7) * 2 = 48554 dps... but that's only if my math is right.

So, to show you what kind of clear speed we've got I've got some video showing it in action ^_^ When I feel brave enough, I'll give Atziri a try, but that might be around 89-90. In the meantime, I'll keep FRAPSing map runs.

My Gear

The majority of my gear is used for its life, but I'd like to replace the Carnage Heart when I find something with life, phys damage, and weapon elem dmg and stats to support my gear.

Flasks

Sometimes I feel like I'm chopping through packs to get to the other side so I use the Quartz Flask to make it easier to get to the center of big packs. It maximizes the effect of the aoe and helps my clear speed. The armour on it helps me survive when I'm diving into a pack.

The heat flask is for chests that freeze when opened. I usually don't have a problem with chests so I usually don't run. However there was this one time on a fracture map with a crapton of corpses and an onslaught reanimation chest... I wish I had FRAPS running.. it was an amazing death.

Defence Stats

Static Strike Stats

Passive Tree
PoE Builder

I'm still tweaking this, but I think I want to work towards Celestial Punishment and Discipline and Training. If I take this past 90 I'll probably add more damage from the sword groups.

My main goals were to get Resolute Technique, Unwavering Stance, and Iron Reflexes since I was going to use the Carcass Jack. I wanted to boost my armour since it would help me dive into packs.

Everything else was added on an as needed basis, split between life and damage.

Bandits = Help Oak in Normal and Cruel. Merciless is up to you whether you want the Endurance charge or Passive Point.

Main Links

Static Strike
4L SS is the set that will give you the main dps for SS
Static Strike -> Melee Physical Damage -> Added Fire Damage -> Weapon Eleemntal Damage

5L SS adds Reduced Duration and when I 6L my Doomsower I'll add either Physical to Lightning or Concentrated Effect. Whichever will be better dps after I figure out the math.

By reducing the wait time of the SS explosion from .75 to .43 currently, I can effectively create a double strike effect. When I can get RD to 20/20 it should be reduced to .35. This means the dps you see in the tooltip can be applied to the explosion at 70% as part of our dps. Very different from the super fast attacks that don't use the aoe of other builds right?

Herald of Ash
4L Herald of Ash -> Reduced Mana -> Increased Area of Effect -> Increased Burning Damage

This setup makes the mobs explode in fire which is extremely satisfying to see. Because we're really only hitting a few times, the overkill burn damage becomes very significant.

The total main hand damage is 7024 - 12523, so the average comes to 9774. This means the overkill burn damage can be anywhere from 1 - 9773 going through the 154% filter on HoA and the 57% filter on Increased Burning Damage. What would the math on the burn be?

Hatred
2L Hatred -> Reduced Mana

Vengeance
4L Vengeance -> Melee Physical Damage -> Endurance Charge on Melee Stun -> Life Leech

This setup gives you a crapload of endurance charges when you dive into a pack, and allows quick use of Immortal Call. It can also refill life very effectively since you're hitting several mobs with a high damage weapon. The interesting thing about this also is that Devourers are less of a problem since they often trigger Vengeance and I gain enough life to give myself time to hit a flask if I need it.

Cast When Damage Taken
3L Cast When Damage Taken -> Immortal Call -> Warlord's Mark

Warlord's Mark solved my mana problem, but it also provides a decent chance to get Endurance charges which, with the Vengeance setup, helps IC last more than 1 second whenever it goes off.

There are quite a few spare links so I think I'll be experimenting with them when I'm satisfied with my gear. I might add more damage and possibly mana leech to my Vengeance setup

Videos

I don't add music in my videos. I personally think it can be annoying. I suggest you put on some rocking music you'll enjoy ;)
75 Necropolis Map + Beyond
Last edited by PenPen79 on Feb 13, 2015, 6:51:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info