How do you join a race...?

I seriously couldn't find this anywhere (it's logically somewhere, but I missed it; 35mins searching).

Questions:
A google search says that a join button appears when a race event starts. Is this true? {Ref: steam question}

Where do you join a race? That is, if I want to start on time, where should I be?
{In game, on the forums, on a previously made account that hasn't been started, do you have to make a new account (and come up with a new name)}

How does a race end? Do you get disconnected?

...I saw a 12 minute race with a reward for killing brutus. You've got to be kidding... Is that possible?

I'm in Australia, can I do races on the Au gateway? Or is it the 500ms ping again? T_T
*I'm ok with pvp on a high ping, but am I allowed to join or are there limits?

Thanks in advance for responses, this is serious (yes my join date is old; though this is actually my first month of playing past hillock...)

The races look fun, great going GGG!
**Update, I was bewildered by the number of forums so I took a wild guess and assumed this was a more correct place to post my question.
At the bottom of the character selection screen there is a list of the next three races. It will show a start time and register time. You can't register until 30 minutes before the race. At that time the Join button will become enabled. Just click join and create a character. The start/register times are rounded. For the exact count look at the race announcement. At the top is a running timer. For example http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1199686

You'll start at Twilight for most races, but a few start someplace else like The Ledge. Once you create the character you can log out until the race starts and the character will still be there like any other league.

The race ends when time runs out. The screen will just freeze and you can't move. However mobs will finish their current attack - for example if a rhoa is charging you, it will finish the charge after the race ends and still kill you.

After a while you will automatically be kicked out to the log in screen. You can also log out at any time during or after the race. If you live, your character will get moved to the regular hard core league. Most people delete the character after the race. But do **NOT** delete it until after you check that you got your race points. Check in your profile page under events.

Anything you had in stash will get moved to the hard core league in a remove only tab. Race prizes will also show up there. Race prizes are also available in the other leagues.

Thanks! This is really handy advice, I hope other new players see this too.

:)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info