rebalancing crit

"
Antnee wrote:
"
But how do you resolves that certain bow skills need their elemental status effects to be worth using?
(LA comes to mind)

You could completely divorce the crit/status effect relationship by just treating status effects like stun. If your spell/attack does a certain percentage of the monsters life as cold damage, you chill. Increase the percentage, it freezes. Same with shocks and ignites.

The cool thing is that this would change essentially nothing for crit builds, as they reach the highest DPS anyway. Non-crit would benefit hugely, and I think most people want that.

Since stuns already work this way, Boem's idea and yours could work together to fix the issue, but my suggestion for the implicit mod already does this without reworking mechanics.

To that end, I mean to say that both ways are valid, and I think both should be tried/tested to see which works better--not just which one sounds better on paper.
The way this operates in the games setting is as following.

1) reflect

Splitting damage sources is a benefit in this situation, thus provides diversity and choice as well as
"hard-counters" against certain scenario's.

2) true damage potential

Splitting your source of damage has the capability of yielding better results then a single source because of how resistances act as MORE/LESS multipliers in this case.

Again choice enabling

3) passive tree orientation

In the old LA builds that didn't go crit, an effective passive tree incorporated the all so valuable %chance to shock nodes at the top of the templar, this provided a choice when building these sort of characters, either you get the benefit of the ailment and rush for it/incorporate it in your design, or you disregarded it and get more overall dps potential by giving up the ailment.

Just stating this, as this is how i see it currently. The tree also provides a lot more %status ailment then it used to have so it's quite legit to build around it.

Antnee's suggestion would make sense and work, but would invalidate a lot of the tree changes currently made that provide a choice to players.

Instead of the "do i want more damage and forgo ailments" it would be blended in a "dps or get rekt" single option.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:

Antnee's suggestion would make sense and work, but would invalidate a lot of the tree changes currently made that provide a choice to players.

Instead of the "do i want more damage and forgo ailments" it would be blended in a "dps or get rekt" single option.

The tree could easily accommodate this; instead of a flat percentage chance to inflict status, it would change to a threshold percentage reduction, like stun. All those nodes stay in the same spot, and provide the same function. Only the wording changes.

To your latter point, this isn't already the case?
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Antnee wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

The tree could easily accommodate this; instead of a flat percentage chance to inflict status, it would change to a threshold percentage reduction, like stun. All those nodes stay in the same spot, and provide the same function. Only the wording changes.

To your latter point, this isn't already the case?

Excellent idea Antnee, i sort of just "threw it out there".

Agreed, %reductions could function the same.

About your other point, yeah it boils down to that "currently" i am an optimist man :).

Peace,

-Boem-
This is the point where GGG needs to add their input. We have lots of good information to consider, and some good ideas about how to "place the puzzle pieces" as well. I wonder what it takes to get their attention.
"
This is the point where GGG needs to add their input. We have lots of good information to consider, and some good ideas about how to "place the puzzle pieces" as well. I wonder what it takes to get their attention.

What makes you think they are not viewing or following this thread like so many others?

Just like we don't know what act4 will bring, this might all be redundant drivel for them in light of a core game change.

Keep an open mind :).

Peace,

-Boem-
I hope it's that, and not just ignoring it because they don't want to hear it (or admit to it/deal with it). Still, they could at least say something along the lines of, "We are considering the issue," or "We have a plan in motion to resolve this." They don't have to get into the specifics. I just want to know they are listening.
Last edited by AlbinosaurusRex on Feb 18, 2015, 2:56:13 PM
Almost ANY shitty bow user can kill Uber w/o any problem and ANY map with any roll, where the F**K melee with cheap build that kill Uber with shitty weapons?

So crits must have cap:
Crit chance = 40-45%
Chance to hit = 80-85%
Crit multi = 400-450%
"
Helpmegod wrote:
Almost ANY shitty bow user can kill Uber w/o any problem and ANY map with any roll, where the F**K melee with cheap build that kill Uber with shitty weapons?

So crits must have cap:
Crit chance = 40-45%
Chance to hit = 80-85%
Crit multi = 400-450%

Caps are the dumbest and laziest game design options available.

Fun fact first 2 parts the the uber atziri fight was done by a melee character, then later used a specific character to fight atziri herself in invasion. Of course you don't possibly know this or you would not have made such comments.

In addition uber atziri is not PoE, uber atziri is a part of PoE, you don't balance the WHOLE game around something not even .1% of players will even attempt to do.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
Helpmegod wrote:

So crits must have cap:
Crit chance = 40-45%
Chance to hit = 80-85%
Crit multi = 400-450%

Caps are the dumbest and laziest game design options available.

Fun fact first 2 parts the the uber atziri fight was done by a melee character, then later used a specific character to fight atziri herself in invasion. Of course you don't possibly know this or you would not have made such comments.

In addition uber atziri is not PoE, uber atziri is a part of PoE, you don't balance the WHOLE game around something not even .1% of players will even attempt to do.

Couldn't agree more.

(Edit: Bolded part I am agreeing with.)
Last edited by AlbinosaurusRex on Feb 18, 2015, 11:16:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info