Horrible FPS with a good laptop?

Hello there, so recently i've gotten myself a new laptop and have installed poe on it. As soon as i start the game, even at the server selection window the fps drops down to 15-18, even after selecting my character it still has the same problem.
I've played poe on my old pc that is with an i3, 550ti and 4gb ram and the game ran smoothly.
my laptop's specs are I7-4710HQ 2.50ghz gtx 850m 2gb and 8gb ram.
Double check that the game is running on your dedicated graphics card.

Sometimes it will default to your integrated one.

Right click on your .exe and select Run With Graphics Processor > High Performance

If that makes a difference, remember to change the default (the option is in the Run With dialogue box).

If it makes no difference, it could be another reason.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Feb 5, 2015, 4:33:35 PM
forgot to mention i'm using steam
"
Double check that the game is running on your dedicated graphics card.

Sometimes it will default to your integrated one.

Right click on your .exe and select Run With Graphics Processor > High Performance

If that makes a difference, remember to change the default (the option is in the Run With dialogue box).

If it makes no difference, it could be another reason.

i just checked that out, the high performance one was already the default :/
Last edited by Bromed on Feb 5, 2015, 5:31:00 PM
Alrighty, can you post a DxDiag and a tell me what graphics settings you are using?

The GTX850M is decent, but if you're using 16x AA, full shadows, 1920x1080, etc. then you're still going to suffer from FPS drops. Heat spikes are still also a big problem for new laptops, especially if you're not locking your FPS to 60 or so.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Feb 5, 2015, 6:16:35 PM
"
Alrighty, can you post a DxDiag and a tell me what graphics settings you are using?

The GTX850M is decent, but if you're using 16x AA, full shadows, 1920x1080, etc. then you're still going to suffer from FPS drops. Heat spikes are still also a big problem for new laptops, especially if you're not locking your FPS to 60 or so.

I Tried setting the graphic options to minimum but it still suffered. And also i've played bf4 on ultra without any problems if that helps..

i'm not sure how to post the dxdiag but oh well, there goes. http://www.mediafire.com/download/e242hw54bl92w9a/DxDiag.txt
bump
Hmmm, well I am not really sure.

Can you let me know what graphics settings you're using?

Install MSi Afterburner and RivaTuner and do a run through, check what your GPU/CPU Load/Temps look like and what kind of FPS spikes you get.

Do a sessions each with -swa (software audio) and -nosound command lines and see what kind of difference it makes.

If you've got GeForce Experience, make sure its not "optimising" the game and forcing all kinds of super high graphics settings.

Most of the other posters here have WAAAAAY more brains than me, so it might be wise to wait for one of them to come along as well.

Hi. The 550 TI (3/2011) is a much better performing GPU than the 850M (3/2014). This is one reason why laptops are never recommended for gaming.

Check the options in PoE, make sure that the display adapter is set to the Nvidia chip. Turn down your graphics settings. Try playing it in windowed-mode and full-screen to find which runs better.

Search for "power options" in Windows Search and make sure you're doing High Performance when the laptop is plugged in, and also make sure your laptop is plugged in.
Last edited by ionface on Feb 9, 2015, 8:34:30 PM
Alright, i've tried everything that you guys suggested, nothing seemed to work.
But one thing changed, i open poe and the framerate is high (like 200) at the login screen. I Login and select my character, go in, i went to the ledge, and ONCE i click the mouse to move the fps drops down to like 20. That's somethin new..

EDIT: Same happened in the town, as soon as i moved the fps dropped. I've been able to walk for like 2-3minutes but as soon as i cast a spell or something happens, the fps drops as well
Last edited by Bromed on Feb 12, 2015, 9:34:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info