Tell me the reason: Scold's Bridle and Stun

"
ecya wrote:
imo the problem which lead to infinite loops is the gem"cws"
No the problem is with the player stunning themselves with damage, thus interrupting their own action. The loop has nothing to do with cws, and predates it by years.
Wow I didn't actually expect any more insight on this. Im realy glad you explained the situation. I know its not many details given. Guess I can understand that potentially harmful loops have to be eleminated right on the spot and thus the change mid league. Unfortunately either way..

Maybe you can keep it on your list and check if this might be something fixable in some of the promised engine upgrades? I would really love to play a CWS toon again in the future. I played all the Fun builds there are, CoC Dual wield Ungil's, Fakener, Crazy Flickers and boring Tornado Shot but the most fun I EVER had in this game was proccing spells while casting curses. CWS was awesome while it lasted...

well I finally got a reason I can accept. thx Mark!

Last edited by chazin on Feb 25, 2015, 6:45:04 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
ecya wrote:
No the problem is with the player stunning themselves with damage, thus interrupting their own action. The loop has nothing to do with cws, and predates it by years.

well issent there a way to make it work anyways? it seeems such a pitty to not have thies builds in game also for me and many others investing sitting with "less" now feal sad... this cud be so awsome... remove infinit loop hole with like make shure the mana was cost was consumed, when the spell was interrupted, or something the spell will still use full cast time but wont trigger, and u cant cast agein in the time untill the original cast time was expelled.. so if u use the "portal senario" u cast portal u get stunned.. however ure toon will be static untill the cast time of a non interrupted portal cast was over, that shud fix the loophole
IGN jauertemplar
Jauershadow
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Stunning yourself is not a valid action in the game engine, because under normal circumstances it can lead to infinite loops. There are explicit warnings that occur if it happens, so we can fix it. Scold's Bridle happened to avoid the infinite loop until crash because of a timing technicality, that doesn't mean it's safe to leave in long term.

On of the base rules we have to have as a consequence of how damage works is that players are unable to stun themselves with damage.

I'm not qualified to comment on balance concerns (there may have been some as well), but any time I'm told something can stun itself, I know something needs fixed.

So that all makes sense, but it seems like the obviously better solution is to add what code you need to in order to make Scold's stuns safe. I don't know your engine of course and acknowledge the cost of adding this as a feature could be prohibitive.

But, allowing something cool and then taking it away for this reason makes you guys seem a little lazy. From the players perspective, it's definitely the wrong way to resolve an infinite loop bug.
"
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Stunning yourself is not a valid action in the game engine, because under normal circumstances it can lead to infinite loops. There are explicit warnings that occur if it happens, so we can fix it. Scold's Bridle happened to avoid the infinite loop until crash because of a timing technicality, that doesn't mean it's safe to leave in long term.

On of the base rules we have to have as a consequence of how damage works is that players are unable to stun themselves with damage.

I'm not qualified to comment on balance concerns (there may have been some as well), but any time I'm told something can stun itself, I know something needs fixed.

So that all makes sense, but it seems like the obviously better solution is to add what code you need to in order to make Scold's stuns safe. I don't know your engine of course and acknowledge the cost of adding this as a feature could be prohibitive.

But, allowing something cool and then taking it away for this reason makes you guys seem a little lazy. From the players perspective, it's definitely the wrong way to resolve an infinite loop bug.

Well if they left it in, they'd forever have to say, "Can we add this feature? What about Scold's Bridle?" I don't think it's worth it personally. They may want a unique that heals you when u get stunned. Or makes you invisible to enemy aggro when ur stunned (that's what I want to see xD). But they'd have to change their mind just because of one unique putting a strangle hold on stun mechanics even for the people who will never get a Scold's Bridle.

Personally I'm against the whole Cast while X stuff altogether. It's a razor's edge. A RAZOR'S EDGE!!! So everyone gets hurt one way or another =p
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
ecya wrote:

Super old thread, but does this limitation still exist? All the new stun stuff made me go down this rabbit hole. Can you stun yourself yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info