Tell me the reason: Scold's Bridle and Stun

I have a suggestion for something else you could try with your scold's. I've been wondering about a build based on the following:
* Romira's banquet
* level 1 cwdt linked to various low level damage spells (two sets of this)
* discharge
* scold's

The idea is that every discharge triggers a bunch of other spells that give you back your power charges when they hit so you can immediately cast discharge again.
"
I have a suggestion for something else you could try with your scold's. I've been wondering about a build based on the following:
* Romira's banquet
* level 1 cwdt linked to various low level damage spells (two sets of this)
* discharge
* scold's

The idea is that every discharge triggers a bunch of other spells that give you back your power charges when they hit so you can immediately cast discharge again.

That sounds fun. Maybe run Blood Dance too.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Stunning yourself is not a valid action in the game engine, because under normal circumstances it can lead to infinite loops. There are explicit warnings that occur if it happens, so we can fix it. Scold's Bridle happened to avoid the infinite loop until crash because of a timing technicality, that doesn't mean it's safe to leave in long term.

On of the base rules we have to have as a consequence of how damage works is that players are unable to stun themselves with damage.

I'm not qualified to comment on balance concerns (there may have been some as well), but any time I'm told something can stun itself, I know something needs fixed.

Something like you cast a spell, which stuns you, which triggers cast when stunned, which stuns you, etc?

Actually makes a lot of sense for this reason alone, balance issues aside.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Stunning yourself is not a valid action in the game engine, because under normal circumstances it can lead to infinite loops. There are explicit warnings that occur if it happens, so we can fix it. Scold's Bridle happened to avoid the infinite loop until crash because of a timing technicality, that doesn't mean it's safe to leave in long term.

On of the base rules we have to have as a consequence of how damage works is that players are unable to stun themselves with damage.

I'm not qualified to comment on balance concerns (there may have been some as well), but any time I'm told something can stun itself, I know something needs fixed.

I've never got on the scold's bridle hype train so I'm genuinely just curious about this. If there are explicit warnings programmed into your system when things stun itself - wouldnt this have been quickly picked up during QA?
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
"
Jerle wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

I've never got on the scold's bridle hype train so I'm genuinely just curious about this. If there are explicit warnings programmed into your system when things stun itself - wouldnt this have been quickly picked up during QA?
He said about infinite loops warnings, not self-stun warnings. So it seems they just overlooked it (how this was even possible is another question).
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Path of Nerfs and 'Bug fixes' *yaaaawn*
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Stunning yourself is not a valid action in the game engine, because under normal circumstances it can lead to infinite loops.

There are explicit warnings that occur if it happens, so we can fix it. Scold's Bridle happened to avoid the infinite loop until crash because of a timing technicality, that doesn't mean it's safe to leave in long term.

Why not just put a short cool down timer on self-stun, or for that matter on all the trigger effects, and maybe a mana cost?
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Stunning yourself is not a valid action in the game engine, because under normal circumstances it can lead to infinite loops.

There are explicit warnings that occur if it happens, so we can fix it. Scold's Bridle happened to avoid the infinite loop until crash because of a timing technicality, that doesn't mean it's safe to leave in long term.

Why not just put a short cool down timer on self-stun, or for that matter on all the trigger effects, and maybe a mana cost?

Indeed :3
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

So it's not just a balance issue but there are technical issues behind it aswell.

I just wonder how often you guys find yourselves limited by the current engine.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
"
zSavage wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Something like you cast a spell, which stuns you, which triggers cast when stunned, which stuns you, etc?

Actually makes a lot of sense for this reason alone, balance issues aside.

In order to trigger the effect of the gem "Cast when Stunned", I can spend mana to take damage to stun myself according as the effect of "Scold's Bridle". In this moment I already spent mana and got damaged and stunned no matter the spell was interrupted or not. (there might be 15%~55% to cast spell from stuns if choose the passive "avoid interruption from stuns while casting")

In another situation the gem "Cast when Stunned" can also be triggered by take damage form mobs and get stunned. I didn't notice if the mana was spent or not while casting was interrupted.

I think there is no difference between stun yourself or get stunned from mobs, if the mana was already spent while casting was interrupted.

No matter damage taken is form yourself or mobs, both can stun you to trigger the gem "Cast when Stunned" to cast spells.

If that is the case, imo the problem which lead to infinite loops is the gem"cws" not Scold's Bridle.

Maybe GGG should fix the gem"cws", not Scold's Bridle.

forgive my poor English, Not native english

Last edited by ecya on Feb 19, 2015, 7:31:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info