Dual Shockwave Totem - Fire + Chaos

The basic Idea of the build is to take the basic damage of the shockwave totem and to convert as much of is as possible into chaos + fire damage.

We'll Achieve that through the use of 3 uniques:

Pyre
Ming's heart
Infernal Mantle

A 5L is more or less required to use the following links:

SWT - Added Fire - Area of effect - Conc Effect - Faster Casting

We'll also be running HoA (+15% of Physical as Fire damage) and Hatred (+35% of Physical as Cold)
The Pyre will Convert all the Cold damage into Fire damage, which will then again Fuel our Infernal Mantles Conversion into Chaos Damage.
Lastly, our Ming's Heart will convert 25% of the Fire damage into Chaos damage.

The Passive Tree I came up with for now is this.
The Infernal mantle will be somewhat offset by the dodge nodes, however this build is far from HC viable.

As for the weapons, I am thinking double Divinarius, however there are probably better rares that can be picked up instead. Another option would be to grab Saffell's Frame for the increased resistances and minute chance to block spells :P

Our main defense will be a standard CWDT Setup, using Immortal Call and Enduring Cry as well as curses.

Last edited by ragbasti on Feb 2, 2015, 1:16:14 PM
i dont see what kind of benefit you get with converting alot of damage into fire damage - is this an iginite build?

plus, you should watch out for the downside of infernal mantle. totems are really mana costly, and without EB or alot of manaregen you will be at low mana most of the time.
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625

My Lootfilter: view-thread/1696052
The main reason for converting most of my damage into fire is to take advantage of Infernal Mantle's Chaos conversion.
Also it leaves me the option of picking up a Three Dragons and spreading some shock.
As for the Infernal mantle downside, I'm currently looking into picking up Spell Dodge, although I am not sure where to make cuts for it yet.
three dragons could be nice, but then you'd probably have to pick up static blows also.

btw, you dont spec into ancestral bond?

Oh wow... I posted the wrong link, i'll update the post with this tree:
here

It also includes the dodge nodes, trading off some damage

Three dragons would also be interesting because I could still include another element besides Fire, most likely Lightning. Having the white mobs frozen every now and then would be quite nice.
I have yet to experiment with Physical to lightning though, it might hurt the other two elements' damage
Last edited by ragbasti on Feb 2, 2015, 1:18:12 PM
how do you plan to sustain the insane mana cost? with your links, a level 18 totem will cost you 196 mana. So placing 2 totems needs at least 400 unreserved mana. I guess you also want to run clarity? A mana regen of 200 or more would help the clearspeed alot.

What if you spec into Eldritch Battery instead of the dodge to get more mana? Even with your aura nodes, hatred, HoA and clarity reserve a huge part of your mana.

hmm, good point.

I'd rather not take eldritch battery because of the long way there, it might require starting a different character.
However if I shift my life nodes a little bit and maybe not pick up the inc. AOE near the scion start I can pick up Righteous Decree and Unrelenting, that'll drop the costs to ~140.

just did a small calculation:
https://poe.mikelat.com/#8bmpgy/wO_EPc

you need about 1250 total mana to be able to cast 2 totems. This can be hard to achieve with just 24%increased max. mana from the tree. You only have about 400 base mana without EB or bonus from intelligence ( which wont be that much, your tree has about 100int). Bare in mind that 1200mana is the lower end, and you'll be low mana basicly all the time.

I think using dual totems is not viable without EB or going bloodmagic, the mana costs are just extremely high, its almost ridiculous.

Okay, damn, it seems that Witch turns out the be the best for this.

Instead of picking up the Dodge and other nodes near the shadow, I'll probably be better not spreading out so farand maybe pick a few nearby Block nodes, with Saffel + Rainbowstride I could hit ~ 40% spell block.
Now the question is:
Should I scrap the infernal mantle altogether and go for additional lightning instead?

I know that Physical to Lightning converts the damage after effect such as Added fire damage are applied, I could therefore probably get a pretty decent lightning portion on my totem without speccing specifically into it.
I think shockwave totem shines most if you spec into crit..
crit? Yes! with phys to lightning and hatred, you will shockfreeze all the time. Focus on crit chance, crit multi, and cast speed, get EB and life. You'll get to about 40% chance to crit with dual daggers, and considering a castspeed of 3+ per second, you'll crit very often - and a crit oneshots.
I am currently level 74 with a witch on torment, and its really good. I use a tabula ATM, but a CoD is more defensive - you dont need much though, the knockback from well placed totems saves you most of the time anyways.
There are some guides on crit shockwave totems already, you might want to check them out. Patch 1.3 nerfed some crit builds, but not this one, and crit is still the way to go if you want to go to endgame with very high damage.

going noncrit works too of course, but there is no reason to go noncrit. If you still plan to, just focus on cast speed, life, mana regeneration and spell/physical damage nodes. Since all your elemental damage is based off of physical, you dont need any elemental damage node, in fact they are less effective than spell/phys damage nodes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info