Will this build work? Cwdt build

Update:
Thx for the input so far. So I skilled my scion now this way:
Build

I will use a 5L Quillrain with: Split arrow+EK+CoC+Fork+LgoH.
I will curse myself with punishment, and the EK - once it triggers - on the Quill should then damag myself enough to trigger the cwdt's in the helmet, 5L armour and shoes. With the Cwdts having different level (for example lvl 2, 3 and 4) each Ek triggered should then retrigger the 2nd or 4rd Ek, which is connected to cwdt. I dont think I can loop it, but we will see. Quill + the LgOH might give another nice bonus healthwise.

Downside here is, that I have to get close into the pack to get the first EK going and reflect enough damage on myself. Therefor it makes sense that the 4L setup will be this:

EK+Cwdt+LL+LMP(+? on 5L).

Another Downside here might be the clearing speed against single targets, unless I get some good damag input, by not dying.

What do you guys think, any suggestions?

Amulet will be eye of Chayula. Quiver...dunno about that yet. Blood rage will be cast in the beginning obviously.

--------------------------
Oldpost:

Hi guys,
skill tree here: Build

The idea is very analogue to the last build, shown in the showcase: By using Scold's Bridle you trigger Cwdt, and thus be able to spam skills. And I would like to have a ranged version, of this kind of build. Why Scion: I thought it has the easiest access too crit+spelldmg + life.

Keyitems:
Scolds Bridle (to trigger Cwdt)
Quill Rain (for the high aps)
Gear with -x mancost for skills

My thought was I would go with frenzy+gmp+Life on Hit+reduced Mana (the skillcost needs to be at 1 mana).
I am not sure if I can cast with different Cwdt the same spell (of another skll gem. Like Icespear in the Chest and Icespear in the Bow)
5L Chest: Ice Spear + Lmp + CwdT + crit Chance + Life Leech/Crit Multiplier
5L Quill: Ice Spear + Lmp + CwdT + crit Chance + Life Leech/Crit Multiplier (does this work with icespear, or will I not gain anything with this setup?)
4l Helmet: Perhaps Enduring cry+immortal call.
4L Gloves:
4L Shoes:

So that is the basic idea, will it work, or fail? I choose life would be the best option with my gear, so I would not be perma stunned or frozen. Too little armour? Or would you recommend ES with CI and the unique amulet with prevents me from being stunned? Or doesn't it matter too much, because I am ranged?

Thx lads.

Last edited by WUlf1337 on Feb 5, 2015, 6:05:53 AM
Hi

I theory craft a lot aroud scold bridle with self damage, some advice after experiment :

Ice Spear & co are bad because they don't aim anything.

Good CWDT spell :

Disharge/ice nova/shock nova/molten shell/VMS
ARC because of auto aim
EK it spread in star

For quill rain, the hard thing is to sustain mana, while you want the highest mana cost, usualy with blood magic to cast CWDT, so you have to use something like :

Tornado shot/barrage GMP LMP/chain BM/fork LFGOH + thief torment

It's the only way to shotgun thousand of life to cast LV+10-20 CWDT

For the moment i give up with attack base scold

I use a Freezing pulse, i deal myself 600hp/sec and leech back with vaal pact.
Last edited by snakesolidx on Feb 2, 2015, 6:42:56 PM
"
snakesolidx wrote:
Hi

I theory craft a lot aroud scold bridle with self damage, some advice after experiment :

Ice Spear & co are bad because they don't aim anything.

Good CWDT spell :

Disharge/ice nova/shock nova/molten shell/VMS
ARC because of auto aim
EK it spread in star

For quill rain, the hard thing is to sustain mana, while you want the highest mana cost, usualy with blood magic to cast CWDT, so you have to use something like :

Tornado shot/barrage GMP LMP/chain BM/fork LFGOH + thief torment

It's the only way to shotgun thousand of life to cast LV+10-20 CWDT

For the moment i give up with attack base scold

I use a Freezing pulse, i deal myself 600hp/sec and leech back with vaal pact.

Hello and thank you for your input. I did not take the "auto aim" thing in account. I thought if its cast, it will head towards the enemy and not in any random direction. Thx for that.

Regarding the mana: Why is it difficult to sustain it? The cwdt casting does not cost mana, doest it? And the main skill to trigger cwdt cost only 1 mana.

Would this new one then be better: 2nd build - blood magic

I would also use EK then, as my main spell. Does a CoC make then also sense in this build? Then I would have a coc in a 5L quill and a Cwdt in a 5L armour.

Last edited by WUlf1337 on Feb 3, 2015, 6:09:36 AM
This build is better to go melee.
Discharge ice nova and such will hit easier if you're close.

Projectile are not the best, but they still hurt a lot while shotgunning and hit decently if you're in middle of packs.

I don't really like EK because that's a build with elemental damage that will go to waste on EK. But it might not be worse than other projectiles.

Leech is very important, LGOH is not the only way to go though. I have 2 life leech gem, a LGOH on my cyclone and cast warlord with curse on hit on my cyclone and got a catalyst.

If you reduce the mana cost you will not hurt yourself for much and you won't trigger stuff. Best way to go is to hurt yourself a lot and leech a lot. Elreon rings/amy are not great, immortal call totally breaks the build for the same reason.

Molten shell seemed a bit weird to me cause if it overcast on itself you loose the damage and it screws up with the vaal version. So I prefered to not use it and just keep VMS.

Current gear
Spoiler

Immortal call will be out this evening. 1.3.1 buff ^^, no need to cast it to avoid VMS interruption.
But bloodmagic and Bridle work, right?

i never test ?
Blood magic works, yes but it's a bit harder on life.

Blood magic cost is considered as mana cost, it triggers the scolds self damage.
However, I don't think that the health cost is counted as damage.

So my guess is that to trigger a 1k CWDT:
- you need to spend 250 mana and hurt yourself for 1k without blood magic
- you need to spend 250 health and hurt yourself for 1k, which means to trigger the same CWDT you lost 1250 health
If you have some armor it's maybe even 1k vs 1.4k or something like that.

I prefer to keep it on mana so far, as there's not so many efficient auras for the build, and it allows me to keep LGOH in my red slot. I also have EB as ES is always empty. If you have high ES you could go hybrid + reaver + discipline + blood magic.

If you can afford the health loss or use something less mana hungry, yeah blood magic level 1 is a great way to increase your mana cost by a ton.
See first post.

You need to put more thoughts in this.

1) CWDT puts a cooldown on every spell (250ms). Spells with the same name share cooldown, spells on cooldown do not count damage taken. So if you put 3 EK, you will just have all them proc once every 750ms at best. You can see that if you put them in your skillbar, you see everything that goes on cooldown. For the same reason cold snap is just awful in this kind of build, it gets on cooldown for 4s, doesn't accumulate damage then, so doesn't try to expend a charge to retrigger and wait for the full 4s.
That's why you see a shitload of different spells in my setup and not just discharges all over the place.

2) CWDT has a pretty heavy malus on damage at low levels AND a limit in level. For example with a level 4 CWDT, your 33 EK will do an average of 28 damage. That's just bad. And at best you get 4cast/s. So we're looking at a 120dps prebuff. That's why leveling CWDT for damage is important.

So cooldowns + better damage done/damage taken ratio:
---> high CWDT, and different spells

Honestly I'd give up the idea to stay far from mobs, from what i remember from my quill thief coc, the life gain is sick even more with fork/chain. With good es you can just facetank stuff and unload all the aoe spells with your cwdt.
Ok, so no self cursing, no CoC Ek to trigger it, just run in, spamm quill, with forc, chain,gmp,LOH und wait for the cwdt to trigger?

Also I thought, that Cwdt puts a cooldown on spells, but only when its linked with the cwdt. Another cwdt, another free trigger. I did not know, that spells are then being set on a global cooldown. Thank you.

Btw If I link two spells two one Cwdt, will only the frist be triggered or both (I think both, just asking to be sure).

Last edited by WUlf1337 on Feb 5, 2015, 10:42:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info