Worst patch for build diversity?

"
BossOfThisGym wrote:
1.3 nerfed crit, and put more elemental status effects on the tree. Added a slew of new uniques that are for the most part vendor trash, except for a 2h sword on par with koams primacy, but who is even using swords this patch? Axes are king for RT, and staves are the go to for crit build thanks to the new staff nodes in Templar and hegemoneys new staff.

There is almost no reason as a melee to not go cyclone. It allows you to run BM and LGOH so your entire mana pool can be reserved for auras, meaning no investment in mana/regen in the tree or on gear. Reflect is a non factor with any CWDT EC IC setup. The regen is insane as long as you are hitting something, and to top it off you deal damage WHILE MOVING. The only other melee skill I have even seen being used in BL is ground slam, and the handful of jokers who thought static strike might be good during the 1st week of the league.

Fire damage is king for spells, every lighting damage spec (99% arc) that I knew did terrible dps in comparison and ended up rerolling, cold damage has ONE skill that is even close to being on par with incinerate/flameblast/SRS and that's glacial cascade.

1h builds are pigeon holed into used daggers as the dps is awful in comparison to 2h unless you have high crit/mul, and further you confined to ST. Only other melee builds I see using shields are FB+Abysus+LC cycloners.

Bow builds? Crit baby shot. There literally doesn't exist a bow spec that can even come close. This gets compounded further with the +1 arrow corruptions.

I think the only spec that made it in the top 10 BL ladder that wasn't one of those builds was some weird cleave scion? Someone mentioned it in guild chat, and like clockwork he died 5 minutes later.

With charan possibly hinting at the fact the next patch is nothing but trash uniques, and no new skill gems being added things are looking pretty bad until 1.4.

You're really bad at this game eh? There's tons of viable builds and every weapon type has its place. PvM is so easy even on crap gear that you can literally succeed with anything. 1h weapons don't need crit, 2h don't need cyclone, bows don't need tornado shot, fire spells do not own all other spell types free. There are enough fast hard hitting aoe options for melee that are all still viable. Cyclone just happens to be the easiest laziest one for rolling PvM content because you have no reason to do anything but hold the button down.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Well we have more options to try and make somewhat viable but:

- there is no chance to make this builds optimal or comperable to top 5
- crit is currently same as LL shavs was (and still is), everything with it is better.
- creativity of community went totally down hill, seems like ppl actually found whats best and just dont care, everyone picking easy road

My theorytcraft tab was mostly full every second patch, currently its empty, nothing new was added to be honest ( beside -60% crit dmg taken )
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
I think you are comparing apples to oranges in some cases, mostly you're talking about damage but with cyclone you're talking about using 2 links as utility - a static strike is 187% dmg effectiveness vs single target compared to cyclone's 80%, run on mana withot BM easily 3 times more damage, and you're dismissing that out of hand, while in other cases you're just dismissing the low dmg options?

I see 2 main offenders that limit my builds:

- fire spells are better than the other elements because AA + RotP is an unfair advantage in fighting reflect with the massive nerf to spell block. I think for example crit FP could easily compete with something like incinerate but would just die to reflect

- armor is pure garbage compared to evasion+acro and MoM+AA with the massive amounts of ele dmg in the game, and you die to ele reflect even with a pure phys skill only from hatred + HoA, and with CwdT IC there is just no real contest

I thought 1.0 was worse for build diversity.... basically everyone just went spectral throw.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
"Bow builds? Crit baby shot. There literally doesn't exist a bow spec that can even come close. This gets compounded further with the +1 arrow corruptions."

-> my crit burning arrow prolif build using a 50% blackgleam+abyssus kills (im using the same bow+gear on my phys tornado spec btw excluding the quiver ofc) at the same speed if not faster. ooh yeah not using the standard trap build btw: 5PC and simply ba+wed+prolif/critstrikes/pcoc+critdmg+ppa+af/firepen
depending on the mapmods + double curse (eleweak+assasins mark)

there is alot diversity as long as you dont play FotM builds. i personally avoid some skills (flameblast as an example) since i dont like playing them although i know it would be easier using them for leveling.
Last edited by irukandji on Jan 31, 2015, 8:53:15 PM
Crit doesn't really need a nerf. As of right now RT is very balanced IMO because it's the much cheaper alternative. You can easily play the game entirely RT, and when you save up a significant amount of currency crit is a viable respec for most builds. What I mean is, it's an improvement if you invest enough. Crit is weaker if you have little currency. As for PvP, some of the top HLD builds are RT and most crit builds can't touch them.
IGN - Xukai

Mirror Service - /1046531
"
Zed_ wrote:
I think you are comparing apples to oranges in some cases, mostly you're talking about damage but with cyclone you're talking about using 2 links as utility - a static strike is 187% dmg effectiveness vs single target compared to cyclone's 80%, run on mana withot BM easily 3 times more damage, and you're dismissing that out of hand, while in other cases you're just dismissing the low dmg options?

Tooltip dps is pointless. Static strike doesn't kill anything as fast as cyclone, not large packs nor bosses. I think you're forgetting to count the movement skill aspect of cyclone, which causes you to attack so much faster than the tooltip shows. I'm pretty sure that even 100k static strike can't take atziri from 100% to 0% in a single opening. Cyclone definitely can.

I also don't think that anyone will be using a single socket for a skill, so that argument is invalid.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
Last edited by Etherfire on Feb 1, 2015, 4:37:02 AM
FOTM IS SO OP, PLEASE NERF MONTH SO WE CAN HAVE NEW FOTM
BETTER IDEA! NERF PLAYER PREFERENCES SO PEOPLE ARE FORCED INTO BUILDS THEY MIGHT NOT LIKE!
REMOVE CRIT FROM GAME, EVERY CHARACTER ALWAYS RT, THEN ITS BALANCED !!!
REMOVE ICE AND LIGHTNING SPELLS BECAUSE FIRE DEALS MORE DAMAGE!!!
REMOVE ALL NON-FOTM BUILDS

HOORAY BUILD DIVERSITY
"
Etherfire wrote:
I also don't think that anyone will be using a single socket for a skill, so that argument is invalid.

The argument is not invalid when the number of sockets available is the same, since most supports provide the same ballpark more damage multiplier of 30-40%. In fact static strike has MS and WED available that are probably better than anything cyclone could use in their place.

I'm not forgetting the movement aspect, my point was exactly that different skills might have different advantages. I watched Etup play SS and it wrecked everything, I doubt it couldn't handle something like Atziri.

Since the start of path of exile I knew that crit is a BS mechanic.

Crit should have never had damage AND status ailments at once. Also the damage inconsistancy is lame until you reach high crit chance.

I think it should be like this:

elemental proc builds: medium damage

crit builds: high damage, high critchance, medium critdamage, no status procs

A dedicated crit build should have a critdamage of 200%-250% or maybe 300% if you want to go crazy. Ofc this should be compensated by higher and cheaper critchance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info