What level did you start doing maps?

I have come to the conclusion that i am better off doing the library 100000 times rather than dying in maps.

So what level did you start?
Forum signature
Last edited by DrWood on Jan 30, 2015, 1:33:41 PM
Usually between level 60 and 63. White maps are lovely for fast exp.
At level 60 you should start running white or EZ rolled tropical islands or mountain ledges. Docks is a terrible zone and I have no idea how people farm it till level 65, and outside of HC you pretty much have no excuse for farming that terrible place at all in merc. Should be straight to maps after you kill piety.

Edit: make sure you do these solo, if you run in a party you wont get as much xp.
Last edited by Zepidel on Jan 30, 2015, 1:51:35 PM
When I first, and I mean first, started doing maps, the primary issue was finding enough. I played docks until I was about lvl 70 on an old elemental buzzsaw build. Was crap at maps -- I had no deeps. Went back to docks. This was before masters. I felt like it was almost impossible to find enough maps through natural drops to keep a decent pool up.

It depends greatly on your build. In Torment, my second character is a tornado shot crit shadow (FOM for sure) and I was map-capable with a self-found Infractem and a 5L sold to me for almost nothing by lvl 63 or 64.

These days, between Zana dailies and being able to buy maps from her, it's less likely you completely run out of maps.

I would say that if you can do maps, even inefficiently, it's still better than running library repeatedly. Dat cold damage. Plus, I think that the layouts of certain lvl 66 maps makes clearing more efficient on its own (i.e. on the Tropical map you are essentially making your way down a corridor of mobs, and dried lake is just a wide circle followed by a small circle around the lakebed -- no backtracking).
Last edited by amicusorange on Jan 30, 2015, 1:58:37 PM
"
DrWood wrote:

I have come to the conclusion that i am better off doing the library 100000 times rather than dying in maps.

So what level did you start?

Implying I started maps just once? I usually start maps in the mid 60's as 66's are a bit easier than piety. And maps really aren't hard. I am not bragging here but as an experienced, HC, mostly self found player, maps up to about 74 are pretty easy. After that the difficulty creep combined with the need for higher quantity leads to a step up in difficulty.
You get 100% xp even at level 74 in sceptre of god/library or other 67+ areas so maps don't really offer anything before that level. But it's useful to start building a map pool as early as possible i guess.
I hate act 3 and don't bother killing dominus in merciless unless I'm lvl 85 or so. That's why I go on to maps as early as possible, say around lvl 59/60.
If my post contains typos, blame my phone and my fat fingers.
Playing solo/self-found/HC... so I have it pretty tough. I don't even try Cruel-Dom until 61 or 62. Maps come at about 68-70. You can use me as a high-end estimate.
Usually start at around 66 (HC) for new test builds, though that is a bit excessive if you have money to throw at gear you can quite easily start sooner.
I think i went into the first map at lvl 60.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info