Blessed Cyclone, you're so good now - but...

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
the new cyclone change, omg, sure its got the reverse downside but omg, the change was so so so good, so good, holy cow good.

Can somebody here write what this new cyclone change is about? I can not find this information. Thanks.
Cyclone was changed from being an attack that could target mobs to a ground-target only skill. While it means that the player no longer desyncs horrifically by chasing down mobs that aren't where they're meant to be on the screen, thus moving to unexpected locations (desync), the mobs themselves are still desynced, some particular notables EXTREMELY so, so it can be very frustrating trying to hit them.

The gem change is good. But now as Charan rightly said, it highlights a problem about mob desync that never really was too much of an issue.

Though it makes me wonder - how much player desync is actually caused by the mobs themselves being desynced...
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
"
LostKavi wrote:
Though it makes me wonder - how much player desync is actually caused by the mobs themselves being desynced...

A LOT
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
"
LostKavi wrote:
Cyclone was changed from being an attack that could target mobs to a ground-target only skill. While it means that the player no longer desyncs horrifically by chasing down mobs that aren't where they're meant to be on the screen, thus moving to unexpected locations (desync), the mobs themselves are still desynced, some particular notables EXTREMELY so, so it can be very frustrating trying to hit them.

The gem change is good. But now as Charan rightly said, it highlights a problem about mob desync that never really was too much of an issue.

thx for the good explanation. i think it's better the way it is now. it behaves like whirlwind in diablo 2 now.
"
This is less about cyclone and more about Dominus.

It's a solid argument but I'd restructure it such that you use cyclone's interaction with Dominus as a lens sharpening and focusing how problematic he really is.

Not really. It's about cyclone vs beefy targets that move a lot. a.k.a bosses.
Dominus being one of the worst offenders.

I love the cyclone change. My former Standard Main is now playable thanks to it. He also feels more durable than the Main Ranger despite being lower level, less life (with auras), zero evasion, and of course melee. Which also makes him the character of choice for Open PvP.

The reason, is leech. But ironically, it is also the problem.
Desync didn't really go anywhere, and it will hit you hardest against said fast single targets. So no matter if you use leech to sustain the huge mana cost like Boem, or went Blood Magic like me to try leech back both skill cost and damage taken - you'll have a bigger problem the smaller the pack size gets, and the less AoE you have.

Desync needs to be handled from the core.
The Cyclone change is a good work-around, but still only a work-around.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Feb 1, 2015, 8:28:29 PM
"
LostKavi wrote:

well, Id say there is no 'player desync' or 'mob desync'. there is an instance state desync. state includes visible mobs, other players and other relevant dynamic objects.

when your client is desynced it errs on many of these objects. so if you clicked on the mob who you thought was there but wasnt, thats part of the same desync.
"
"
LostKavi wrote:

A LOT

having played cyclone close to lvl92 from a fresh start since the change and virtually NEVER desyncing my character more that a couple of steps in either direction without leapslam being the cause, playing all my other melee builds where I use shift virtually every time and I dont want to desync and as a result, virtually never desync, Id say the vast, vast majority of player character desync is caused by players namelock attacking mobs who are out of sync without being forced stood still with shift (or being unable to force stand still due to their attack being a movement skill).

I play with friends who use ranged builds mapping, and this is the sort of thing that happens. We run into a room, run out again, fire at shit in the door, suddenly theyre in the room "fuck desync" I hear. 20 seconds later, again, fuck im desycned, and there they go teleporting somewhere ramdom. Happens like 4 times in 2 minutes, I ask "are you holding shift while you attack?"... "no"... if youre not in the habit of using shift virtually every time you attack on every single character, even ranged characters, then it seems to me you desync yourself almost constantly.

Sad to hear people are having issues targeting with cyclone, im presuming this is 1h cyclone with conc effect gem right? I feel like swapping conc for added fire might sort it but people want to use the gems theyve been using, I can understand that and its sort of not right that thats the solution. Maybe they need to look at upping the base radius of cyclone or something, tag on another few units in a way that wouldnt then be scaled by inc aoe etc.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
"
LostKavi wrote:

A LOT

<snip>

Sad to hear people are having issues targeting with cyclone, im presuming this is 1h cyclone with conc effect gem right? I feel like swapping conc for added fire might sort it but people want to use the gems theyve been using, I can understand that and its sort of not right that thats the solution. Maybe they need to look at upping the base radius of cyclone or something, tag on another few units in a way that wouldnt then be scaled by inc aoe etc.

No conc. Cyclone with a 2 handed sword. Weapon range of 6. Still whiffing.

sidenote: a fencing foil has a longer weapon range than a bloody claymore, and the same range as a halberd? Come on GGG...you're not even trying...
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info