Blessed Cyclone, you're so good now - but...

Allow me to preface this by stating I LIKE the change to cyclone. It feels good not to have to /oos every time you right click. I can actually go entire areas without desyncing, let alone dying!

But as with everything, this comes with a caveot.

It now highlights the problems with mobs being desynced EVEN sharper now. Vanilla mobs aren't that bad, but...man...

When a dominus fight takes 15 minutes because you spend 10 minutes whirling around and doing 0 damage to him cause he's not actually there, 3 minutes respawning and turning your auras back on, and 2 minutes ACTUALLY fighting - I'm compelled to make a thread about it.

"
"yada yada yada desync boat bla bla bla"
, yea I get it. But with act 4 coming soon, are we going to see any significant computational changes to AI calculations, which in my experience is the 3rd most egregious culprit of desync causing activities, (behind stun and doorways/narrow corridor blocking, and shortly after movespeed altering effects).

If you don't believe that dominus is self-desyncing, equip a 5 range weapon or facebreaker, do not add any AOE nodes and try and cyclone the bastard. You'll hit him maybe 75% of the time in calm combat, and when things get hectic, you'll find your contacts with him to be FAR lower. Every time he walks somewhere, he's always out of sync. Every time he lightning warps somewhere - he's usually prettly close to in sync, but not always. The whole fight is just a mess.

Spoiler
And just to add insult to injury, the rain makes it happen at 1/4 speed.
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
As an avid cyclone player i understand your issue's. another thing to not that adds insult to injury is the leach mechanic.

More so mana leach when you run a mana based cyclone build. You hit nothing because of desync = well geezzz your pretty much fucked.
(since your typically a 2-hand build, you cant really afford to sacrifice a potion slot for a mana or hybrid pot just for this imo)

but tbh i have not played cyclone since it's revamp, decided on a cleaver this league just for that nostalgia, 2-hand cleave yeay.

but the issue i mention was already present way back and i suppose this isn't resolved by the sounds of it and i have very little hope it ever will be. go blood magic gem go.(or EB mana based cyclone, which also works and i did, AA + cyclone is pretty neat chill stuff as you pass true)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Does anybody actually use "stand and attack" with cyclone? Why not create an exception for cyclone, whereby that key is re-purposed to "attack selected target." That way players can pick and choose how they want to suffer their desync ^-^

Edit:
It would actually be less "suffering" that way, because a learned player will know which situation would alleviate, and which would exacerbate.. as is and as was, it's always just been all in for one or the other.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 28, 2015, 9:39:48 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
Does anybody actually use "stand and attack" with cyclone? Why not create an exception for cyclone, whereby that key is re-purposed to "attack selected target." That way players can pick and choose how they want to suffer their desync ^-^

Edit:
It would actually be less "suffering" that way, because a learned player will know which situation would alleviate, and which would exacerbate.. as is and as was, it's always just been all in for one or the other.

Piety anybody? she's got blink, it just ain't listed on the wiki :)

-signed btw-

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
the new cyclone change, omg, sure its got the reverse downside but omg, the change was so so so good, so good, holy cow good.

"
CanHasPants wrote:

Edit:

ya, I agree. Actually I suggested this aeons ago, that force stand still removed the ability to target mobs for cyclone, warp, blades etc, which is basically the same thing, control of when you want to desync and when you dont.

I play with a fairly aoe cyclone atm, no conc, no inc area but disfavour so.... the desync not hitting is quite rare and its just so good that I am not desyncing and its just the mobs.

Cyclone was the 1 movement skill though where I had mixed feelings about location targetting, as a melee its nice to have control of when you desync and when you dont via shift, every now and then you do want to desync yourself in order to guarantee a hit. cyclone is 100 times better now but if they could add the force stand still switch functionality, that would be even better still.
i am not a fan of the changes to cyclone.

on one hand the dysnc is a lot less, but if your build is good enough generally dysnc isnt that big a deal.

but my gripe is cyclone no longer targets enemies, so boss fights have instantly become much more difficult.

not to mention the block nerf, which has pretty much retired my longstanding char in standard.

feel bad for spending points on blue cyclone effect because i hate the skill now.
Last edited by kurtcobainsshotgun on Jan 29, 2015, 1:32:41 PM
from responses, people either love the change or hate it.
I guess a lot depends on what kind of build you are playing and whether you like target locking.

personally, I dont like the new version. but I can see the arguments both ways.
"
CanHasPants wrote:
Does anybody actually use "stand and attack" with cyclone? Why not create an exception for cyclone, whereby that key is re-purposed to "attack selected target."

I suppose this week's BotW provides an unexpected example of a build that might actually want to use "stand and attack" with cyclone XD

I think a brand spanking new hotkey would be better anyways. "Switch targeting focus" allows skills that would normally target the ground to target a foe, and vice versa. Could be useful to everybody then ^-^

Spoiler
Hey, I just legitimately quoted myself, and it wasn't a pissy reply to somebody who doesn't know how to read. Wtf is wrong with this thread? Be more intolerable, people!
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Jan 30, 2015, 8:42:43 PM
"
CanHasPants wrote:
"
CanHasPants wrote:
Does anybody actually use "stand and attack" with cyclone? Why not create an exception for cyclone, whereby that key is re-purposed to "attack selected target."

I suppose this week's BotW provides an unexpected example of a build that might actually want to use "stand and attack" with cyclone XD

I think a brand spanking new hotkey would be better anyways. "Switch targeting focus" allows skills that would normally target the ground to target a foe, and vice versa. Could be useful to everybody then ^-^

Spoiler
Hey, I just legitimately quoted myself, and it wasn't a pissy reply to somebody who doesn't know how to read. Wtf is wrong with this thread? Be more intolerable, people!

I am intolerable to your self-quoting. Rawr, blarg. [Insert defametory statement here]
"But we still had a lot of fun, please don't think this comes from hate.
We bitch because we like you and we want you to be great!" ~Miracle of Sound
The problem is when your Cyclone AOE is smaller than the "acceptable drift" that mobs naturally have WRT desync. e.g. your cyclone radius is 5 units, most mobs' serverside positions are anywhere within 3 and 8 units away from the position you see on your client.

Simple solution would be to just give Cyclone a minimum radius that it can't go below.

TBH I just gave up and made socket-space for a separate single-target attack link.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info