On the issue of trading in Path of Exile

"
mazul wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:

PoE and gaming in general have their own sort of culture, where its rude not to get strait to business

If it is so rude, why do 90% (the numbers stated by the thread starter) just start with the "hi"? Either you assume that they are ignorant, that they are willingly assholes, or maybe just maybe you are wrong.

I friggin hate ppl who say "hi" and don't tell me what they want to buy. People are in maps, they don't have time for small talk. Trades should go like this...

Buyer: Wtb blah blah ring 20c b/o
Seller: ok my h/o
or
Seller: After map (then invite them to party and trade)

don't even need to say thank you, it's a waste a time and they don't give a spit anyways.

"
Boem wrote:
My only gripe with trade is that i have to link everything manually in my shop thread, since i refuse to use third party software for that (aka procurement).

Xyz i don't really have an issue with since it doesn't require account information as far as i know.

Lol just read your last message, so i will just +1 that.

Peace,

-Boem-

But why? This game is great, but no one denies it has flaws. So why not use 3rd party tools? It's different when talking about particle effects and then using a "QoL improvement"/maphack tool to fix things. GGG has SAID that this is ok to use these things, and they have failed to fix ingame trading. So why not just use it until they fix trading?

To me, it's like saying "I won't use an OOS macro b/c AHK is third party". Well sure, but then desync is an issue.

About the account information, procurement is a trusted source... you've gotta be overly protective or paranoid if that is your main issue :(.

I think your misreading me,

to me its just odd when some random person I dont know says hi to me

Im wondering what dose this guy want? who is he? should I know him?

I think most folks prefer it when people get strait to business.

If you want to say high fine but say: Hi are you still selling X item?, or Hi I would like to buy X item
I dont see any any key!
"
BossOfThisGym wrote:
People are in maps, they don't have time for small talk. Trades should go like this...

Buyer: Wtb blah blah ring 20c b/o
Seller: ok my h/o
or
Seller: After map (then invite them to party and trade)

don't even need to say thank you, it's a waste a time and they don't give a spit anyways.

It LITERALLY takes 5 seconds to ask for item name and b/o. It's not small talk, it's barely a sentence to ask for item name and b/o. Sure, its always better when they give all the pertinent info, but it's not really much of an issue in the grand scheme :(
"
k1rage wrote:

I think your misreading me,

to me its just odd when some random person I dont know says hi to me

Im wondering what dose this guy want? who is he? should I know him?

I think most folks prefer it when people get strait to business.

If you want to say high fine but say: Hi are you still selling X item?, or Hi I would like to buy X item

A problem with your assumption that "I think most folks prefer it when people get strait to business" is that so many don't do it. And those "many" are also "folks". The most reasonable assumption is that most people do not prefer to go straight to business.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
BossOfThisGym wrote:

Given that humans in general are social creatures and very emotional, I would wager that it does matter to them if you say "thank you" or not in the sense that it affects their mood and perception of you.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
I'm with the OP on trading. I'm not rich by any means as I play very casually (around 190 Chaos on Torment so far), but I get gratification from the small transactions as well - someone buying that item that I thought really nice for a particular build for 5 Chaos etc. I also quite like browsing poe.trade looking for some affordable upgrades to my current gear.

Of course, leaving in trade chat as the "standard" way to trade must have chased a good portion of new players away from the game.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
"
CabooseDog wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
My only gripe with trade is that i have to link everything manually in my shop thread, since i refuse to use third party software for that (aka procurement).

Xyz i don't really have an issue with since it doesn't require account information as far as i know.

Lol just read your last message, so i will just +1 that.

Peace,

-Boem-

But why? This game is great, but no one denies it has flaws. So why not use 3rd party tools? It's different when talking about particle effects and then using a "QoL improvement"/maphack tool to fix things. GGG has SAID that this is ok to use these things, and they have failed to fix ingame trading. So why not just use it until they fix trading?

To me, it's like saying "I won't use an OOS macro b/c AHK is third party". Well sure, but then desync is an issue.

About the account information, procurement is a trusted source... you've gotta be overly protective or paranoid if that is your main issue :(.

I don't use an AHK script either.

I am protective, but that's not my main reason for not adopting these things. People adopt this and then absolve GGG from the responsibility of actually implementing those key features in the game themselves.

I simply do not. Every time i type /oos manually i am reminded of progression that still needs to happen on the front of QoL. Just like i have a gripe with the fact we can't make a drag box when we link items to our shop etc, stuff like that would go unnoticed if everybody used procurement.

I never said i was not a masochist when it comes to playing PoE. People shouldn't need to get familiar with all of these external programs when they first install PoE, at least that's what i think about it.
I think it deters a lot of players from the actual game.

I still applaud the creators of those programs btw, they did a great thing for the community and are respected for there efforts. But i don't absolve GGG of there responsibility's to implement better QoL because of that.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I refuse to rely on the actions of others to play my games for me. Period. PoE is a fine game without trading... it's in no way "required".

You aren't instantly as powerful as you want to be, and you have to get used to doing without.

It wouldn't amaze me at all to find out that more than half of the players have never opened a trade screen.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I refuse to rely on the actions of others to play my games for me. Period. PoE is a fine game without trading... it's in no way "required".

You aren't instantly as powerful as you want to be, and you have to get used to doing without.

It wouldn't amaze me at all to find out that more than half of the players have never opened a trade screen.

Allow me to translate what shags is saying:

I am better than all you traders because trading is cheating by proxy

Only people like me have real skills

I dont see any any key!
Last edited by k1rage on Jan 28, 2015, 2:46:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info