An illness, the attainment of BiS gear.

"
so the last comunism patch wasn't enough?

the day after 1.3, with all my mirrored gear, i was doing 25k dps vs 45k pre 1.3 while my friend with ONLY glyph mark + mirrored amu, crap rings, crap quiver was doing 75k tornado shot dps

yeah sure, the OP skill of that current period makes a build OP
at the moment a build made with 300 exa can be better than one with 2k exalted, the biggest difference is the SKILL GEM+TREE, BIS items are useless if you are using the wrong skill gem and build

Dude you're in all MF gear, put on real DPS gear and then pull some insane DPS numbers

As for daggers, yeah they got gutted and bows got buffed insanely. Anyone who's played this game for 3+ leagues knows that bows will get nerfed soon (either TS, or bow nodes, or smth), b/c thats inevitably how things are.

Also, OMFG AT THAT MF BELT HOLY SHIT I WANT IT RIGHT NOW

On a more relevant note, I would just like to say that I agree that trying to get BiS gear is not fun anymore. The endless grind for exalts, even if you can do it efficiently, just gets so boring. I mean I've gotten acuities and have 6l shit and what not but I've long since abandoned standard. I quit the game in rampage b/c the only mentality I had was chaos recipe up till mirrors (lel). I didn't to start from new in leagues or do anything besides grind, so I quit the game for a few months. Honestly, I'm exploring everything else this game has to offer. I had a blast with the racing season this league, and am really considering starting to play HC (only reason not is b/c I'm too lazy to level a toon XD). I haven't tried PvP but I might do it soon, and ofc playing in SC leagues just brings back the fun to the game. Honestly, to me, standard is dead, and while it may be fun to play with my legacies 400/200 MF gear with 100k DPS between leagues, I can't do that for more than a few weeks... the sense of progression isn't there. No progression in wealth, or capacity, or strength... it's so much more of an achievement to beat atziri with a new, 2 ex ele buzzsaw build, or to finally kill palace dominus with a build I made from scratch. Revitalizes things, keeps it from getting boring.
Last edited by CabooseDog on Jan 28, 2015, 12:27:13 PM
Where is the line between quirky builds and bad builds? The endgame does not need to be made easier. You can have fun being quirky in 66 maps.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
Last edited by mucker on Jan 28, 2015, 12:44:04 PM
My biggest problem with PoE is that most build become interesting to play when the content is the least interesting to play (map)

Most build I enjoy are build i can start working early and level with the content. When i look at a build and its says level as this or this before switching , its a no go.

"
mucker wrote:
Where is the line between quirky builds and bad builds? The endgame does not need to be made easier. You can have fun being quirky in 66 maps.

+1

There's still H U G E variability in builds, it's just that some are FOTM and because of that you see them far more often in a certain patch. Just because your clearspeed is 1 minute slower, it doesn't mean your build isn't viable for endgame, it's just less efficient/slower.

If you want all builds one can think of to be equally strong/faster/efficient, better go play Diablo3 and enjoy boredom.
"
Moonyu wrote:
But Boem has a point about the tree having a limit when it comes to end game where gear checks dominate.

End game should be hard. If a game is too easy, you play it and move on quickly. No reply value.

Too hard and you gate a large part of your audience from enjoying the game fully and they move on.

How to balance it properly? If I knew, I would design games for a living.

Thanks, i expected nothing less from you sir. You understood my point entirely.

also dat typo :'). This game for sure has reply value MoonYu!

And i agree it's a hard nugget to solve, however efforts should be made to understand where the line lie's and how it should evolve to the future imo.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I think the game needs to renew itself content wise. I hadn't the energy to come back for this one even if I really enjoyed the 3 previous leagues for about 1 month each. (did better and better each league in terms of time efficience, got myself an amazing ilvl77 6L regalia that I crafted in 3 days of playing last league and it felt great)

But this last league I couldn't. Leagues are short now, and I told myself: "why no waiting the next one: the spectres and the new champ affixes will very probably get added and they are fine, you don't have to do it again this time wait few monthes there are other things to play".

This game imho REALLY needs another BIG layer of content. I mean a whole act, AND a new layer of maps that go to lvl88 or something AND a new layer of affixes value. It would be easy to level up a lvl100 character but we would have new things to do. Actual content even with new uniques/mechanics every few monthes isn't enough to me, the fundation of the game is getting real old(3acts*3 + grind maps/manage currencies).

(btw I think that the masters thing is an amazing addition overall BUT it wasn't what we needed the most first)

Also I don't think the game needs to change it's core concept or add more currencies, it mostly just needs more places and maybe more progression curve through this content.
Last edited by galuf on Jan 28, 2015, 1:11:25 PM
"
mucker wrote:

There is no line there, both are subjective terms and hold no meaning without a definition or context.

Peace,

-Boem-
You don't need BiS slot gear, its just a side effect of playing in a dead/boring league were there is nothing else to do.

I can clear maps and 1 shot packs with gear I obtained in about 2 weeks in BL in 78's. Can I do uber? No probably not, but that's it.

Spoiler

All that runs about 10ex, but can surely work for much less especially in SC. does 30k dps, and about 40k with conc (still need the 6L). almost 6k life all res overcapped at least 30% and positive chaos res w/ Acro and phase.

You don't need to do 100k, or a million dps because there doesn't exist any content were that even becomes an advantage. Game is not hard, and doesn't requires anywhere near BiS or mirror tier gear.

If you want a real challenge worthy of an "illness" see how far you can get in the HC challenge league or try to get 8 challenges.
"
BossOfThisGym wrote:
You don't need BiS slot gear, its just a side effect of playing in a dead/boring league were there is nothing else to do.

I can clear maps and 1 shot packs with gear I obtained in about 2 weeks in BL in 78's. Can I do uber? No probably not, but that's it.

Spoiler

All that runs about 10ex, but can surely work for much less especially in SC. does 30k dps, and about 40k with conc (still need the 6L). almost 6k life all res overcapped at least 30% and positive chaos res w/ Acro and phase.

You don't need to do 100k, or a million dps because there doesn't exist any content were that even becomes an advantage. Game is not hard, and doesn't requires anywhere near BiS or mirror tier gear.

If you want a real challenge worthy of an "illness" see how far you can get in the HC challenge league or try to get 8 challenges.

I went to the map device solo-self found/famine/man-mode/no hp on gear in nemesis. I am no stranger to challenges and it holds no relevance to this thread.

This thread is about being able to clear 78 maps with 100%+ modifiers on them relatively successful.

And the difference in gear at that stage when you have a somewhat unusual build. (or in other words, the gear threshold associated with non-cookie cutter builds)
One needs close to BiS gear to attempt things like this comfortably, where as a cookie-cutter can just load up for a few exalts and smash everything.

That's a balance discrepancy that is an illness in my opinion to the future of this game.

Of course i am aware you can clear 40% 78's, hell even 100% 78's with roughly 20 chaos worth of gear, those are not the builds i am referring to, obviously. In fact it are those builds that put a limit on creativity and build variation, because why would you spend currency on something quirky when there is a more efficient alternative to use?

Peace,

-Boem-
So you just want BiS gear to make terrible builds as good as the current meta builds like lameblast, incinabore, cucklone, and summon boring snoozies?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info