Help for Mjolner discharge build, no damage

"
Now try dumping Discharge (and the two items required, if you can use Astramentis instead), and use a second Arc instead. If you want more damage, use Iron Will or Lightning Penetration, or even a third Arc

Are you sure? I just tried and Arc+Arc does far less damage then Arc+Discharge. In addition as the other user said, with these items i have permanent endurance charges for immortal call
Don't be dumb, discharge mjolner is really good with Volls Devotion, which he has.
"
zSavage wrote:
Voll's Devotion w/ discharge enables near permanent immortal call uptime. Think about that.

Gear that my Mjolner char uses:

Perma charges and immortal call are very strong.

If you do your tree correctly you don't need to use Astramantis (BAD imo) or the meginord's gloves.

Also, from my experience, discharge > arc in almost all circumstances when speed clearing a map. Arc has more range, but discharge just shreds things.

I have a molten strike gem in my inventory I swap out for single target cases.

To kill atziri, molten strike will be used, and conc effect swapped in for arc during the mirror phase.

No, because discharge might consume the charges just before IC procs. Now if you used Voll's and RB then you'd have no shortage of p or e-charges. In which case you'd have IC up 100% of the time without any worries.

Arc is far better, mostly because gear is easier. But it also can hit the same target more than once each time.

Discharge "may" be better for clearing, but it requires two specific items-beyond that of a basic mjolner build-to make it "good". That means your amulet is setup to get charges, instead of giving other benefits. I'd rather run Arc and use a speed or MF amulet than use it just to get charges, just to make my build "better".

"
perafelix wrote:
"
Now try dumping Discharge (and the two items required, if you can use Astramentis instead), and use a second Arc instead. If you want more damage, use Iron Will or Lightning Penetration, or even a third Arc

Are you sure? I just tried and Arc+Arc does far less damage then Arc+Discharge. In addition as the other user said, with these items i have permanent endurance charges for immortal call

Well I've seen mjolner clear rooms in just a second with both Arc and Discharge. Both gems can be used but Arc is better, as shown above.

I just don't see the value of wasting two more items just to get one gem working, when you can use those two slots for far more valuable attributes.

Edit:

All you likely did was swap out discharge/arc/support for arc/arc/support, while still wearing Voll's Devotion and Romira's Banquet. This will still lean towards Discharge, as those two items work best with Discharge.

Try swapping those two items out for other things. Here are a few examples:

Eye of Chayula. This removes the need for Unwavering Stance, which means Blind and a little evasion can help against damage. Not very good, since IC removes the need for evasion. But there is 30% IIR on it.

Astramentis. This is especially good since you use Iron Will, and makes gearing much easier. You can get other mods on gear instead of attributes, which saves you money.

Lori's Lantern. Mainly for the unlucky enemy damage while on low-life, which can be HUGE. IT also gives some movement speed while on low-life, which makes clearing much faster. One of the best items.

Any rare ring or amulet with %IES, IIR, IIQ, or any other good mods.

But the best one, in my opinion, is Thief's Torment. This does a number of things:

1. First and foremost, it reduces curse effect. This means you don't need as much overcapped res, can do maps that have curses without having to constantly use anti-curse flasks, and makes PvP a better option.

2. LGOH removes the need of the support gem, allowing you to either keep it and benefit more or use a different support gem in its place.

3. IIQ, which is good for MF.

4. A considerable amount of res, a total of 16% fire/cold/lightning (48% minimum, 66% maximum).

Yeah, sure, you only get to use it but the curse mod is quite useful.
Last edited by Natharias on Jan 27, 2015, 6:49:44 PM

"
Natharias wrote:

No, because discharge might consume the charges just before IC procs. Now if you used Voll's and RB then you'd have no shortage of p or e-charges. In which case you'd have IC up 100% of the time without any worries.

This is entirely wrong. Discharge will consume all the charges, and does consistently. But because of Voll's Devotion, all the power charges consumed become endurance charges, and the discharge grants more power charges for hitting enemies.

For example:

Lets say I begin with no charges, and there's three enemies. Lets say I use a basic attack and discharge alone is triggered. Then:

+1 Power Charge from basic atack
-1 Power Charge from Discharge
+1 Endurance Charge from Voll's
+1 Power Charge from Discharge.

Here is the base case.
Now, lets say I have 5 of each charge, cast a discharge, then immediately trigger my immortal call:

-5 Power Charges, -5 Endurance Charges From Discharge
+5 Endurance Charges From Voll's
+1 Power Charge from Discharge
-5 Endurance Charges from Immortal Call.

Result: 1 power charge, ~7 second IC (I use CWDT, as you saw)

Discharge CANNOT consume all the charges because of Voll's Devotion. As long as at least one power charge is involved in the discharge, there will always be endurance charges afterwards.

This is why Voll's Devotion is so insane, in addition to doubling the damage output of Discharge.

If you don't have a Voll's Devo, discharge is ok. But with the amulet it's unquestionably better.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
The tooltip will be greyed out and will not show dps until you have charges. If you gain 6 power charges the tooltip will no longer be greyed out and will show you the damage you will do when discharged.
Of course this guy has a mjolner lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info