Help for Mjolner discharge build, no damage

Hello, something is wrong with the Mjolner....i just put my hands on it and put the discharge gem inside....on the tooltip the discharge shows no "damage per use". It goes to 264 damage per use only if I switch on Herald of Thunder. What am I doing wrong? I put here below my gear

Last edited by perafelix on Jan 26, 2015, 10:17:32 AM
Discharge does damage only when it is cast and you have charges on you (power, endurance, frenzy charge). It also consumes the charges.

Its tooltip is affected too (aka it shows damage only when you have the charges).

You should still do damage since when you actually attack things, Romira will give you Power Charges and Volls neck Endurance Charges. Discharge will then consume them once it's cast.
Another note: spells scale VERY well with level, so lvl 20 discharge is key. A concentrated effect or increased area of effect gem will be better than iron will unless you had around 1000 strength or more (even then probably inferior, 1% spell per 5 str).
Last edited by PhysoniumI on Jan 26, 2015, 6:15:37 PM
"
PhysoniumI wrote:
Another note: spells scale VERY well with level, so lvl 20 discharge is key. A concentrated effect or increased area of effect gem will be better than iron will unless you had around 1000 strength or more (even then probably inferior, 1% spell per 5 str).

Should use Arc tbh, Arc is amazing with Mjölner.
"
Grughal wrote:
"
PhysoniumI wrote:

Should use Arc tbh, Arc is amazing with Mjölner.

I have to agree, Arc is superior to Discharge in regards to mjolner.

Discharge will only ever hit a target once for each cast, and it requires at least one item (Romira's Banquet) in order to be viable. It becomes stronger with Voll's Devotion, but these two items mess up gearing and demand other uniques. For instance, you're using Meginord's Vise to get your strength when you could use Astramentis and ES gloves.

Arc will hit a single target more than once if the jumps permit it. Arc works best on hitting multiple times if there are two or more targets, as it must hit a different target before it arcs back to the previous target.

Arc also doesn't require charges, and that means it doesn't require any specific gear for the gem to operate well. So this is another bonus, as gearing becomes easier and that means survivability is higher.

Yeah, sure, Arc won't hit everything within a certain radius, but it doesn't become wasteful against single targets like Discharge will and it doesn't constrict gear. I don't know why people use Discharge in mjolner.

Edit:

Oh, and Mjolner lets Arc chain one more time without the damage penalty that Chain has. So all the more reason to use Arc over Discharge.

Edit 2:

Add in Blind in that open green slot. Helps with survivability if you don't have US.
Last edited by Natharias on Jan 26, 2015, 6:50:35 PM
Thanks for suggestions! If I put Arc in Mjolner, what the main skill would be? Or it doesn't matter as I will only do damage with that Arc in the Mjolner?
"
perafelix wrote:
Thanks for suggestions! If I put Arc in Mjolner, what the main skill would be? Or it doesn't matter as I will only do damage with that Arc in the Mjolner?

Lightning Strike for mobs, and Molten Strike for single target.
I put Discharge+Arc+life leech: OH MY GOD this item is insane!! The life leech is so high that I don't even need Vaal Pact and i can face tank the academy boss no problem. Everything gets melted before they can even touch you and the blind gem is awesome, I didn't think about it!
"
perafelix wrote:
I put Discharge+Arc+life leech: OH MY GOD this item is insane!! The life leech is so high that I don't even need Vaal Pact and i can face tank the academy boss no problem. Everything gets melted before they can even touch you and the blind gem is awesome, I didn't think about it!

Now try dumping Discharge (and the two items required, if you can use Astramentis instead), and use a second Arc instead. If you want more damage, use Iron Will or Lightning Penetration, or even a third Arc.
Voll's Devotion w/ discharge enables near permanent immortal call uptime. Think about that.

Gear that my Mjolner char uses:

Perma charges and immortal call are very strong.

If you do your tree correctly you don't need to use Astramantis (BAD imo) or the meginord's gloves.

Also, from my experience, discharge > arc in almost all circumstances when speed clearing a map. Arc has more range, but discharge just shreds things.

I have a molten strike gem in my inventory I swap out for single target cases.

To kill atziri, molten strike will be used, and conc effect swapped in for arc during the mirror phase.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info