Please help with my Scion -- Physical Damage & Spectral Throw

So I just hit level 85 and I'm not happy with my Scion. I struggle to survive most map bosses and I still haven't been able to kill Dominus. I'd like to continue playing a physical based spectral throw Scion as I really enjoy the skill, however, my DPS output and survivability leaves a lot to be desired IMO. Leveling has gotten very difficult (due to the constant deaths and exp loss) and I die frequently doing 74/75 maps. I'm stuck.

My hope by posting this is for advice on my skill tree, my gear, and to mainly just answer the question: Do I frequently die because I'm just bad at playing the game, or did I make major mistakes in gearing and assigning my skill points. I have done my best to read up on my class/skill and I've checked out most of the Scion Spectral Throw guides and read them countless times. I tried to learn something from each of them when creating my own build and gearing my character. Maybe I should have just followed a build to the T from one of the guides?

My Build: I didn't help any bandits, so I the above is how I spent my 105 Skill Points. My plan over the next five levels is currently to take the 6% life node above Blood Siphon, and just below that to take the 10% One Hand Physical Damage node near Slight of Hand. Then I would take the three nodes near the beginning of my tree to get to Studious Combatant.
Spoiler

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAASshaUqiam13yl6Q50IFH4iLiFSAqTT8nLOm-pxm0ytPqYnXLzZiNfre2vTZlTUd-xIKwq-lGivBKfeOfh3ZnoPzF3Q3B2KiiqvhW-taKfyt31wYgWHV0oAIRo-dE0gMn1FIwfOcP3L0xsMv1I_aNfU2SOkJLeN2oMHHUIwW1jb9RR896shkyAZsm6NZ6U2HrxKKXBgX5okD0-KEi7UGmf7VIbWzndAMeH0EGIxa_YeImlZ2qNj1sjGKspzTAnOOEOJZkWlz5txfiXvrrXkWS8-sU

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAASshaUqiam13yl6Q50IFH4iLiFSAqTT8nLOm-pxm0ytPqYnXLzZiNfre2vTZlTUd-xIKwq-lGivBKfeOfh3ZnoPzF3Q3B2KiiqvhW-taKfyt31wYgWHV0oAIRo-dE0gMn1FIwfOcP3L0xsMv1I_aNfU2SOkJLeN2oMHHUIwW1jb9RR896shkyAZsm6NZ6U2HrxKKXBgX5okD0-KEi7UGmf7VIbWzndAMeH0EGIxa_YeImlZ2qNj1sjGKspzTAnOOEOJZkWlz5txfiXvrrXkWS8-sU

My Stats & DPS:
Spoiler

My Gear: I sold off all my Templar and Ranger (both geared poorly to begin with - both outperformed my Scion with worse gear) gear plus spent way too many hours flipping stuff in trade chat to get the gear I have now. I got 4ex in my stash or thereabouts and that's about it to work with. I'm clueless on what I should work towards for upgrades. I luckboxed into the 6L Daresso's while playing my Ranger and I built my Scion character around it. In my head I figured the extra 10% dodge from the chest/boots and 15% spell dodge from the boots - would all pair nicely with Acrobatics/PA/Ondlar's Guile. Suggestions on what to do? My thoughts are to maybe try and flip the 6L and my current weapon for a better weapon and get a 5L rare chest, then I could maybe switch out my helmet or gloves for a Maligaro's Gloves or a Rat's Nest? I'm lost on where to start.

Spoiler

Gem Setup + Auras: I currently run a 6L ST w/ Three Auras. I would like some advice on maybe switching up my Auras or the links I use with ST. With the three Auras I use I have 112 mana and at 22 per cast I don't have mana problems with ST since I have the 2% mana leech node. Should I use a different curse maybe Assassins Mark? Then use Crit Gems instead of Faster Proj and Added Fire Dmg?
Spoiler

ST: ST/LMP/PPAD/Faster Attacks/Faster Proj/Added Fire Dmg
Auras: Reduced Mana/Herald of Ash/Herald of Ice/Hatred
Curse: Reduced Mana/Proj Weakness Haste/Grace (I rarely use these two as instead use the 3 above)
CWDT: CWDT/Molten Shell/Enduring Cry
CWDT: CWDT/Enduring Cry/Immortal Call/Increased Duration

---------

Thanks for taking the time to read through my post and help me with my Scion. I just can't help but feel with all the time I invested in this character only 6.7K DPS and still not being able to beat Dominus and with the frequent deaths while leveling... I'm just frustrated. Any advice would be appreciated!
Last edited by Ahutz on Jan 24, 2015, 8:10:50 PM
I assume you're going phys crit ST.
Looks like you picked 3-4 guides about ST (buzzsaw, coc, phys crit) mixed together and made your build.

Few points:
Daggers outperforms swords in terms of crit: a crappy dagger is better than a mid-range sword for crit.
Phys crit sword ST is really bad because the lack of crit nodes (ST is a projectile). You can, however, go with crit sword melee.

Bandits:

Help Oak (normal)
Help Oak (cruel)
Help Alira (merciless)

Tree:

Ranger has betters results with crit dagger ST than Scion. Here's the tree I was using on Bloodlines (ripped to desync):
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAr-sZju2DCC6bjQBe_rp9ddN-u-PEokp945-Hdmeg_MVW-u4O73rWin8rd9c6Qkt43agwcdQjBbWNv1FHMHxNkiP2jX1MYKOKlWYEsT3i18uOipfQ225W9dh2Rwbb57TFwux94yzhrGa5Pqc09vxsjGKsnar_HG-EOq25fIwL7LA2PXBSKgvz6rVIbWwfQQYj7UGmf7GzYeImlRa_jDZVS2ND8uGaE3BWkBsRlg5I29RJUfDVlS4HHkd-vTZlTb6nGbTK0yzp3Q3qYnXLOrOQCv_eJP3nVF5FkvP66w==

Gear:

Your first dagger (Ambusher, around lv 60) should be the highest physical you can buy. Don't bother with atkspd and crit (these will come later).
For chest, you can choose a Lightning Coil/Belly of the Beast.
For helm, a rare helm to cap your resists, then you can upgrade to Abyssus (softcore league) or Rat's Nest (hardcore league)
For boots, a rare boots to cap your resists, then you can upgrade to Atziri's Step.
For gloves, a rare glove to cap your resists and for your CWDT setup. You need one with STR requirements (those that gives armor) to reach 4L RRRR.
For belt, a rustic sash.
For shield, a rare shield to cap your resists and to give you evasion.
Jewelrly to cap your resists.

Links

6L: ST - LMP - Phys Projectile - Faster Attacks - (Increased Accuracy, with quality - Add Fire)
4L (GLOVES): CWDT - Enduring Cry - Immortal Call - Increased Duration
4L: ST - GMP - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark (a nice setup for cursing that I've been using, you can skip it if you don't like it)
4L: Reduced Mana - Hatred - Herald of Ash - Purity of Lightning (Hatred and Herald of Ash are mandatory, Purity of Lighning if you're using Lighting Coil)
3L: Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Blood Magic (your movement skill)
3L: Increased Duration - Vaal Grace - Vaal Haste (a nice "burst" setup and extra protection for bosses)
Last edited by i8037 on Jan 25, 2015, 3:17:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info