SweetFX allowed or not allowed?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so please forgive me if it is not.

I have used SweetFX in the past without issues (and without getting banned), but with the recent cheating warnings and bans, I would like it confirmed if I and others are allowed to use SweetFX.

I don't have the technical knowledge to explain how SweetFX works. What I know is, I use RadeonPro to make it work and the configuration menu looks like this:
Spoiler

With my configuration (increased vibrance), it changes this
(default):
Spoiler

to this (SweetFX):
Spoiler

If I were in a position to judge, I would allow SweetFX. However, I am not in a position to judge it, so I ask for a ruling. If more screenshots or information is needed I will do my best to provide.

If SweetFX is deemed kosher, I would like to make an up-to-date tutorial for it. What would be an appropriate place for it?
Pretty sure they have said several times that it's not allowed.

You could always email them and ask though
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Pretty sure they have said several times that it's not allowed.

You could always email them and ask though

I believe you, but I am also looking for concrete proof. If you have links to dev posts or something, I would love to see them.

On the other hand, there are many threads on this forum about SweetFX with no developer comment either way. I would assume that if it was not allowed, a dev would say, "Hey, don't do this, we don't like this, locking the thread now," or something similar.

I chose not to email them as I do not feel this is an urgent issue, and a forum post can be responded to whenever.
The problem is that they do say, and rather than people keeping it to one or 2 threads where a dev has posted they will always make new threads about it despite it being there and answered in the first place, so support won't go through every single one and answer them, they tend to do one or 2 every now and then.

Just look in technical for example, posting of some crashes which is covered in the stickies and dose not need posted again but they ignore the stickies and post anyway and get pissy because they don't get an answer.

Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jan 24, 2015, 11:51:17 AM
Policies change, simple as that. There are probably a few things that were previously prohibited and later allowed. But either way, policies change or are updated.

Simple fix, Sticky at the top of the forum stating something similar to:

Effective 1 January 2015 Maudur is now Supreme Overlord of all that is useless.

Due to further discussion, changes, updates, sacrifices, any and all previous statements are not accepted. If you have any questions, please contact the Vaal Overseer.

That acknowledges that previous statements may contradict the policy, but that the policy was changed effective this date and directs you where to go to address your concerns. Put it on the log in screen to ensure it being seen.

Regarding the a new threads despite the stickies.

One example:
In some cases, e_outofmemory is not fixed by -gc 2, or by installing OpenAL, or a Ramdisk, or installing it on an SSD, also s 64 Bit OS and 4+gb of RAM eliminate the 32bit option. It is an issue that has multiple pages of threads over years of time across a variety of configurations. It is not a new or unknown issue, nor is it resolved by these options in all cases.

If the sticky and the various threads over the years tell the user to do the above and none of it works, directing that person back to the stickies, or complaining about the issue being part of the sticky does not resolve the issue.

(I have this exact issue, but I am pretty sure that I know the cause and fix. I am testing to make sure before posting it after my last "fix" didn't fix it after further testing.)

This likely does not apply to all of the new threads. Users typically find it easier to start a new thread instead of searching, no matter the forum. There is a balancing act that has to be done with users between helping them and repeatedly answering the same questions.
Last edited by Adragontattoo on Jan 24, 2015, 7:50:04 PM
I'm pretty certain that a GGG member has not commented on any thread involving sweetfx.
This also applies to Reddit.

Now before anyone says "Just search the forum", I would suggest you do the same.
Google results show old threads, and even recent posts don't show. Same thing for reddit.
Searching through http://www.gggtracker.com/ would be a waste of time, good luck finding it in 460+ pages.

I would like an answer to this as well, and for that reason will bump this thread.

I've been using SweetFX ever since I found it for PoE. I will NOT go back.
The game's color is under-saturated, and graphics blurred. I cannot stand the blur.

Edit: It does appear to inject shaders. Oddly enough it uses less memory when active.
http://www.cclonline.com/article/1366/Blog/cclonline/What-is-SweetFX-/

Point is, it's probably not allowed.
Has anyone been banned for it? Probably not.
Has GGG said anything about it? Probably not.

Until they say "Hey don't do this, it's not allowed", I will continue to use it.
Yes, I am risking it.
I am willing to do that for the graphical reasons stated before. So are other people.

Even if you do get banned for it, email support and explain your case.
In the meantime, I'm going to keep playing.
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."
Last edited by Hixxie on Oct 5, 2015, 7:13:55 PM
"
Hixxie wrote:
Even if you do get banned for it, email support and explain your case.
In the meantime, I'm going to keep playing.

Assuming it is bannable, and you use it regardless of warnings or even having the common seance to email support and ask, then get banned...well you are up shit creek

Good news! It's allowed.
I emailed support about the issue, got a reply back within 24 hours.
"
Thanks for contacting us about this. The developers have confirmed that SweetFX is allowed and will not result in a ban if you use it with Path of Exile. If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask!

Kind regards,
Eben

I had no doubts about it from the beginning, and this helps clear some of the confusion.
So enjoy your eye candy!
"The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info