Why so expensive? Microtransactions?

"
Barivius wrote:
I hear you. A $36 armor set is very expensive.

Still, that is almost their only revenue stream. Sure some people have tons of stash tabs, but 8 or 10 would probably cut it. You don't need more than 25 character slots.

I'd imagine if they sold "boosts" or if their pets did something they'd be able to charge less for the cosmetic stuff. Then people like me wouldn't spend another dime though.

I must agree with this. I may have only spent $250~ so far, but plan on getting the Grandmaster pack before it's retired.

And probably the next top-tier when it releases with the next expansion.. if they release another set, anyway.

I only pay because it's free to play model is great. No content is gated behind paywalls. No subscription fee, no set up fee. Just download and play for hours to your heart's content.

At 700 hours, I've gotten more out of this free game than I have several other indie games and big-budget titles.
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
"
XigTek wrote:
"
Barivius wrote:
I hear you. A $36 armor set is very expensive.

Still, that is almost their only revenue stream. Sure some people have tons of stash tabs, but 8 or 10 would probably cut it. You don't need more than 25 character slots.

I'd imagine if they sold "boosts" or if their pets did something they'd be able to charge less for the cosmetic stuff. Then people like me wouldn't spend another dime though.

I must agree with this. I may have only spent $250~ so far, but plan on getting the Grandmaster pack before it's retired.

And probably the next top-tier when it releases with the next expansion.. if they release another set, anyway.

I only pay because it's free to play model is great. No content is gated behind paywalls. No subscription fee, no set up fee. Just download and play for hours to your heart's content.

At 700 hours, I've gotten more out of this free game than I have several other indie games and big-budget titles.

if only more game developers would use the pay when you want model instead of the pay upfront model it would be a lot better. No more being mad you paid for a game that sucked in the end anyways, just download, install, play and play if you liked it and if you have the money and if not, no harm done.

This would also curb illegal downloads of games as thats only being done because games can be really pricey and besides, all the drm in the world isnt stopping people from cracking games and getting them for free anyways.
If you really like the game and want to support it, you would save up no matter how long it takes even if its expensive. a pack costs me around half a month of my salary honestly (since im just a minimum wager and the pay here really sux), luckily im just freeloading on my relatives house so no monthly dues for me except my internet connection XP
(Location):PH
Duelist is kylo ren -_-
Last edited by saintshield07 on Jan 25, 2015, 1:08:54 PM
Mandatory literature on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

The mtx ggg provides are not physical goods, there can't be any shortage, thus supply-demand is also out of the picture when it comes to pricing of the item. So it's mostly up to GGG free will to price the items. They are obviously trying to make these items luxury, pricing them high enough that only the big paying customers can afford them. This directly acts in way of ego stroking, giving them something that others 'can't' have.

It would be very simple for GGG to reduce the price for 30-40% and sell 30-50% more of these items (I'm guessing at the percentages of course), and give more people the chance to get it. But they don't do that because they are pondering to whales. And whales wouldn't feel special if 5 other players in the instance would have the same mtx as they did.

„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Last edited by Odoakar on Jan 25, 2015, 1:14:57 PM
"
Don't feel bad if you can't support.

A single happy, positive voice can be worth more than hundreds of dollars to a company thriving on good will, give or take.

This is also true. There will be people who pay enough to support the game, and spreading great word about it will bring more of those into play.
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
I think a player recognition system would pay some dividends. For example, level two characters to 50 and you get a free mtx of X value. If you get one piece of a certain set for free, I'd wager a good % of people would pay to match and look all sparkly. Maybe even have different tiers of item appearance based on in game accomplishments.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
For me supporters fall into more categories. I like to see guys like you Charan, who supported the game just for the sake of supporting it and help the devs. People like you just like the game and would like to see it grow in the future.

But beware, there are many players who are buying points and packs just for the effects and they dont care about the base concept - supporting.
I was in several guilds and played with many people and I saw so many discussions in the chat about MTX in a selfish way. For example - that Master supporter armor set would look great on a duelist archer with Hussar wings and with the points left I can buy this and that. Actually noone said that they have 200 $ to spare and they want to support GGG so they can contribute to the game's development. I think that the majority of the supporters are like this.

As for me, I felt really bad that I couldnt afford the Divine supporter pack back in the days.
I just bought a beta key for 10$ and some additional points. I wanted to have a good feeling that I helped to support my favorite game at that time. I bought two supporter packs so far. The quality of the recent packs are nowhere near the Eternal, Exalted and Divine packs in my opinion but I bought them anyway just to support. But now I am struggling to upgrade to Master Pack, because the game is heading into a different direction as I expected more than a year ago.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
For me supporters fall into more categories. I like to see guys like you Charan, who supported the game just for the sake of supporting it and help the devs. People like you just like the game and would like to see it grow in the future.

But beware, there are many players who are buying points and packs just for the effects and they dont care about the base concept - supporting.
I was in several guilds and played with many people and I saw so many discussions in the chat about MTX in a selfish way. For example - that Master supporter armor set would look great on a duelist archer with Hussar wings and with the points left I can buy this and that. Actually noone said that they have 200 $ to spare and they want to support GGG so they can contribute to the game's development. I think that the majority of the supporters are like this.

As for me, I felt really bad that I couldnt afford the Divine supporter pack back in the days.
I just bought a beta key for 10$ and some additional points. I wanted to have a good feeling that I helped to support my favorite game at that time. I bought two supporter packs so far. The quality of the recent packs are nowhere near the Eternal, Exalted and Divine packs in my opinion but I bought them anyway just to support. But now I am struggling to upgrade to Master Pack, because the game is heading into a different direction as I expected more than a year ago.

The packs themselves are a special case anyways, you cant compare them much to the normal effects and pets on the shop. Theyre big money for big support, the effects/pets is what people talk about in this thread mostly.

Packs are fine, if people want an effect from it, too bad, the effects wont be sold separately so thats how it is. There are always similar effects in the shop people can buy.
for my part, back in closed beta i just looked at the dev manifesto and all points they made (and which still stand) convinced me to support that idea for a free game which was a crazy idea at the time with no ptw.

my opinion hasn't changed since, i do not buy mt to look good ingame. in the first place i support the company to be able to keep the servers running and pay the bill for the gardener so the rainforest doesn't grow into the companies building.

are mt expensive? dunno but for german conditions they're rather cheap.

the only thing that bothers me is why they charge in us$ and not in nz$.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
"
Wittgenstein wrote:
I think a player recognition system would pay some dividends. For example, level two characters to 50 and you get a free mtx of X value. If you get one piece of a certain set for free, I'd wager a good % of people would pay to match and look all sparkly. Maybe even have different tiers of item appearance based on in game accomplishments.

I would so be down with this but Chris is super wary of doing things that might upset paying customers by diluting the value of mtxes. I think he underestimates supporter good will or overestimates our covetousness.

on a related note, i really felt like cheating all of the previous supporters when i bought that lightning scorpion on sale just to get rid of my points...
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info