Can you get higher chaos damage

So I've been interested in trying to theory craft a build that puts out super high chaos damage. The obvious choice is incinerate with a linked added chaos gem. It's the fastest cast spell and only has a 50% effectiveness instead of 30%. Ball lightning comes close I think, but you can't shotgun it.

I had a free lvl 80 rspec in standard and wanted to give a crazy idea a shot, chaos on shockwave totem.

-The idea is to ofc have a 20/20 added chaos, but then convert damage too.
-Obvious choice is darkscorn marketh bow as it has a 25% phys to chaos.
-Then we have 75% physical left. Blackgleam will convert 50% of that to fire.
-Added fire gem also adds lots of fire damage.
-Herald of ash for even more fire.
-The remaining 25% of physical we can convert to cold with hrimsorrow gloves.
-Running hatred gives a lot of cold too.
-Use the pyre ring to convert the cold to fire.
-Combine all that with a troll shavs for 25% of fire to chaos conversion.

And obviously vaal ice nova doing pure fire/chaos damage:

Current tree

Current Gear
Spoiler

Most of the gems are just sitting in slots not being used btw. Only using hatred and HoA. 4890 ES without discipline.

It's just 4L right now since I ran out of fuse. I think 5th link would be crit multi, but I'm not sure.
Since we're using a bow we could also use poison arrow with conc effect and empower for some more chaos damage, but most the time you wouldn't need it.

I suck at theory crafting and looking at weighing options. Are the chaos nodes on the tree worse than spell damage/cast speed nodes would be?
ign: orosmoltenstrike
build thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/918546
Last edited by nikkofromchico on Jan 21, 2015, 6:04:20 PM
There are some other builds i think can reach higher numbers for pure chaos damage like using

or a build using Voltaxic Rift. You can use that both for attacking and spellcasting btw.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Use viper strong on an godly 1h/2h weapon. (2h weapon higher base or dual wield with Mortem Morsu) + Two ming hearts. Use a combination of damage boosting crit relating to crit + shavs low life combo.

Or

All lighting/elemental damage build > Voltaxic Rift.

Yeah, I was talking about other than Voltaxic I suppose. That's one I'd like to try with ball lightning next league.

With the Atziri flask. Don't have a mings heart floating around.
What about apep's rage?
CliveHowlitzer wrote:

I am now too addicted to that feeling of being kicked in the nuts when you die.
"
Yeah, I was talking about other than Voltaxic I suppose. That's one I'd like to try with ball lightning next league.

With the Atziri flask. Don't have a mings heart floating around.

Your better off like I said just going a massive crit/physical damage build with viper strike and chaos damage flair with ming's heart. Your complicated back and forth halfway conversions make you lose alot of damage as oppose to full physical covert into chaos (with viper) with crit with singular focus on boosting physical and chaos in efficient slots. High base damage weapon makes a big difference too.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jan 21, 2015, 6:15:07 PM
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Your complicated back and forth halfway conversions make you lose alot of damage as oppose to full physical covert into chaos

I'm actually not losing any damage anywhere. 25% to chaos, the other 75% becomes fire of which 25% becomes chaos for 43.75% of the initial physical converted to chaos if my math is right
"
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Your complicated back and forth halfway conversions make you lose alot of damage as oppose to full physical covert into chaos

I'm actually not losing any damage anywhere. 25% to chaos, the other 75% becomes fire of which 25% becomes chaos for 43.75% of the initial physical converted to chaos if my math is right

Your losing damage because your converting two different damage types (as well as multi damage types) into chaos taking up most of your slots. Also buffing either physical or fire/elemental nodes are not 100% effective and makes your tree more wonkey since alot of damage nodes would be less efficient.

As oppose to viper strike with a much better physical damage weapon doing 50% chance to deal 175% of the attack's damage as chaos damage over seven seconds which stacks per attack. Then you can run ming's heart and ton of crit + physical damage gear to increase ming heart damage (as well as viper strike itself since the base attack is physical) even further as well as the shav or other chaos damage increasing dps chest.

If your going to use poison arrow your better off not screwing around with a ton of conversion items and do trap poison arrow for the massive damage multis you can stack on it with turning it into a trap/mine as well as crit space.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jan 21, 2015, 6:53:47 PM
add 2x ming heart to HvC crit shockwave totem and bam.... u have 60k x2 dmg

in which like 10k-15k x2 is chaos dmg (even moar with troll shav)
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
"
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

Your losing damage because your converting two different damage types (as well as multi damage types) into chaos taking up most of your slots. Also buffing either physical or fire/elemental nodes are not 100% effective and makes your tree more wonkey since alot of damage nodes would be less efficient.

But that's not how conversion works in this game at all.

If you have 50% phys->chaos conversion and normally do 10 physical damage, you do 5phys/5chaos after.
If you then take 100% increased physical damage, you do 10phys/10chaos after.
Then you use a Ming's Heart (gain 20% phys->chaos), you do 10phys/12chaos after.

Please read up on damage conversion/added as on the wiki.

---

If you're going for "highest possible chaos hit" then the answer is probably Poison Arrow Voltaxic.
If you're going for "highest possible chaos dps", then it's still probably Voltaxic, or maybe 2x apep's +chaos crit incinerate with an Infernal Mantle.
If you're going for "highest possible chaos dot", then it's crit dagger Adder's Touch Viper Strike with MPD, MPDoFL, etc.
Last edited by pneuma on Jan 21, 2015, 7:49:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info