Education vs Job

"
Apprenticeship sucks, the pay is too low to live from the money and is too high to get benefits especially if the parents are halfway wealthy. I wish they would get rid of the apprenticeship thing and instead make the last school year a practice year where kids get their feet wet in the job they desire. That saves 2 to 3 years or more depending on the job and people earn better a lot sooner.

My appreciateship started me out at 3x minimum wage for knowing nothing. I got raises 3 times a year every year for 5 years until I hit the max pay for the positin and I got full bemnifits after being employed for only 60 days. Vs someone who goes to collage and has to do an internship and dosnt get paid anything at all for "work experience."
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
college graduates make more on average in their lifetimes than those without.

"
“Although other individual factors might affect the net value of a college education, earning a degree clearly remains a good investment for most young people. Moreover, once that investment is paid off, the extra income from the college earnings premium continues as a net gain to workers with a college degree. If we conservatively assume that the annual premium stays around $28,650, which is the premium 20 years after high school graduation for graduates in the 1990s–2000s, and accrues until the Social Security normal retirement age of 67, the college graduate would have made about $830,800 more than the high school graduate. These extra earnings can be spent, saved, or reinvested to pay for the college tuition of the graduate’s children.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/troyonink/2014/05/05/federal-reserve-college-education-worth-830000-more-than-high-school-diploma/
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
For the area I live in those yearly salary numbers are sad. Also if I had gone to collage I would have made less in my lifetime than I will now. But still I'm just an exception to the rule not all who don't go to collage are smart enough to do what I did.

I just felt like sharing a little of my experience. I'm not trying to put down anyone who did go to collage.

I meet people all the time who ask what I do and when I tell them they ask me if I'm going to go back to school to get a better job. Once I explain what I do and how well I'm compensated they are usually very supprised.

Still I know some people who are $60,000 in debt from school and barely make more than $25,000 a year and don't even own a house yet. That just seems crazy to me.
It's *college. Good on ya for finding your niche. In general, it is in someone's best interest to pursue higher education if possible.

E: You also stated you've already hit your profession's salary cap. Food for thought.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Jan 21, 2015, 3:52:40 PM
Yeah auto correct on my phone should be called auto incorrect. It just put an F at the end of auto lol. I'm sure texting in multiple languages helps confuse it even more.

I think more people need to sit down and run the numbers before they go off planning the rest of their lives. Like what does profession X make vs how long and how much it costs to get the degree in the profession vs doing something else.

I should be more clear regarding the salary cap. It's not a cap at all its actually a set amount that I must be paid at minimum per hour for the work I do. I can still negotiate independantly with my employer for more money above the average scale so I can always make more if I want. Currently I value my time more than an increase in pay so I try to get my employer to give me as much time off as possible. I managed about 4 months off last year which left me in a very comfortable position financially speaking.

One last thing people should realize is that they are not their work/job. We as people should not live to work we work to live!

"

I think more people need to sit down and run the numbers before they go off planning the rest of their lives. Like what does profession X make vs how long and how much it costs to get the degree in the profession vs doing something else.

This, it highly depends on your degree if college is a waste of time or not. In Germany (where I live), I feel college is less and less worth, school is getting easier, which means more people are able to go to college, which means we have more students and graduates, which means the job market is oversaturated and the salaries are dropping a lot. Wage level is already pretty shit in Germany compared to other so called first world countries and it's getting worse every year. Go enterpreneur or go home imo, and you don't need a degree to be one :)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
i drive heavy equipment so prolly not best person to ask but i make good money over $30 per hr and im 19.

i defiantly not college brains. but if u get real education like medicine or dentist or lawyer i think u come out on top even with loss of income first 8 years wasted at school.

most i can make is $67 per hr as a crane operator...one hr in surgery u make more than 10hrs shift

also u can move any where and make good money as a dentist or something. while me is dime a dozen and wages vary.

bottom line if i was smart i'd go to school..but only for professional degree. not bullshit like liberal art
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 21, 2015, 11:55:11 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
college graduates make more on average in their lifetimes than those without.

"
“Although other individual factors might affect the net value of a college education, earning a degree clearly remains a good investment for most young people. Moreover, once that investment is paid off, the extra income from the college earnings premium continues as a net gain to workers with a college degree. If we conservatively assume that the annual premium stays around $28,650, which is the premium 20 years after high school graduation for graduates in the 1990s–2000s, and accrues until the Social Security normal retirement age of 67, the college graduate would have made about $830,800 more than the high school graduate. These extra earnings can be spent, saved, or reinvested to pay for the college tuition of the graduate’s children.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/troyonink/2014/05/05/federal-reserve-college-education-worth-830000-more-than-high-school-diploma/

bs stat...ofc every deadbeat will never make anything ....they never had plans period so never make college or job for that matter. this is like saying guys who play poe 1000 hr vs 1hr are more successful. well doh

when u drop out of life ofc ur a loser is all that says.

now compare non college aircraft assemblers at Boeing to accountants at boeing i think draws more realist pic...dont make me pull bill gates on u or 9/10 in world richest have zero college

u sure u went to college? deduction is shit

all u got is a union card out of it no ability to actually think
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 22, 2015, 1:44:36 AM
Pft. Planning.

I coasted through life and it worked for me. It'll probably work for you too.

If not, just start believing in reincarnation and have another crack at it.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Pft. Planning.

I coasted through life and it worked for me. It'll probably work for you too.

If not, just start believing in reincarnation and have another crack at it.

Gimme a job if you got one then!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info