Education vs Job

Do you get degree for the pay grade, knowledge or the status it reflects upon you.

Shamelessly admitting it, I'd be perfectly fine with a good paying job, degree or no degree, even if it only requires you to have a pair of able hands.

I tend to live life not through widely known and acknowledged recognition, especially for distinctive excellence but through moments and unforgettable gratifying memories. My version of how I run the marathon to end times.

What about you?

Last edited by gtrans on Jan 19, 2015, 11:50:54 AM
"
gtrans wrote:
Do you get degree for the pay grade, knowledge or the status it reflects upon you.

Shamelessly admitting it, I'd be perfectly fine with a good paying job, degree or no degree, even if it only requires you to have a pair of able hands.

I tend to live life not through widely known and acknowledged recognition, especially for distinctive excellence but through moments and unforgettable gratifying memories. My version of how I run the marathon to end times.

What about you?

This is all i got to say.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-140-000-a-year-welding-job-1420659586
Subscription or log in required to read a post.

Well then
Last edited by gtrans on Jan 19, 2015, 12:05:13 PM
A degree is meant show you have put forth extra effort, but from a practical standpoint on the job experience should more valuable.

Its not.

People with degrees hire other people with degrees. Its human nature.
Education? Jobs? We may not need it for the future Utopia

...or Distopia
I need more purple titles
Last edited by Ocylix on Jan 19, 2015, 12:53:36 PM
"
Ocylix wrote:
Education? Jobs? We may not need it for the future Utopia

...or Distopia

Very intersting find. Although what really peaked my interest to the fullest was the upvoted comment about the future and it's probable outcome.

Imagine living in a world of abundance and free of cost, too good to be true. Somehow, somewhere, something will inevitably destroy the presumed utopia.
"
gtrans wrote:

I got my first degree because I had no fucking clue what I wanted to do with my life, so it was a good excuse to be a "student" and try out a bunch of different jobs and career paths. Plus everyone expected you to go on an OE after you finished, so it was a built in excuse to go and travel.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Just pick a degree which gives you access to a job nobody else can do without that specific degree. Doctors and dentists are good examples. But so are pharmacist, pharmaceutical scientist, physiotherapist, nurse, educational psychologist, dietitian, radiographer, paramedic , speech and language therapist, occupational health therapist.... And others.

All ( in the UK at least) are protected titles, meaning nobody can do that job without that specific degree or training. You can still go and become an accountant should you wish, but you will always have something to fall back on should you fall on hard times.

Those are just health ones because I work in health... Engineer degrees also should be accredited with their professional body.
Forum signature
Last edited by DrWood on Jan 19, 2015, 3:21:24 PM
In eastern europe we have a massive outbreak of degrees. Until recently it was quite obvious that after high school you are supposed to go to an university because everyone else does. As a result 90% of those degrees are useless, because there are only so many available slots for a proper field and people take whatever is available. Oh how many people with degrees in politics, philosophy, journalism, languages or sociology are to this day washing dishes in the UK...

I wasted 6 years of my life like that (escaping the army, we had drafts back then) and now I just focus on acquiring proper skills and certifications for the type of jobs I would like to do.

In my country I view people who study at universities mostly as those who are trying to extend their adolescence period (I'm still studying mom, can't support myself yet!). Yes, there are many people studying useful degrees and having a part time job in the meantime but still. Quality of engineers is also declining rapidly from what I see, universities care less and less about what type of master degree holders they produce because next batch will come anyway, no reason to compete or anything.

But then again people who I know that moved for example, to the UK and got their degrees tell me that it's like being on a different planet (in a good way) so my views on that matter probably don't apply anywhere outside the post soviet countries.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
We get education to get a job. Some people gets jobs without education. Now think about that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info