Explosive Arrow is Back! And it's melting everything!HARDCORE viable

Explosive arrow is one of the most underrated skills imo ,rarely seeing one playing it,specially after the nerf it got
"The explosion damage is now classified as projectile damage and is hence scaled down
by Lesser and Greater Multiple Projectiles support gems."
as many people who were doing it were playing explosive arrow+ gmp mostly.

so i tried to make an explosive arrow build ,something that can be put in the category of flameblast or trappers,so here's my build and gear and few notes on it

Passive Tree
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38jM_EWPZIXz8UIBo-7w7yL3y4UEcpLvGsVw3ZYdIhkc6tjRku8kG77c9-J-2CBwYOxPbUfHKpffU9DzwtCfasqvcyHM7Grh2-WfN82StQHKe3PjOHwBqfPg3NDF9Bh_4KA-5xhRo4LdL-VFOl-ejyRdi9VynzEZBVgsc64UbXsUInLyj6plfsOOvumK2Cm7iTmuCaO6cIRZ08BeFz2t2dro9GU1LvfKIAGmwSaZuh8B8EszbpFxz313gvaPIkqnF5rJg5UhZv8Ww6WLw342o22FXGWAdJG4PbKo0EB-xVTLOXlVJTPV9N4w==

you only take endurance charge from oak merc.

Gear
Spoiler

Potions
Spoiler

The main links of the build would be
Explosive Arrow "quality is a must as it gives 20% chance to ignite for 20% quality Gem"
Chance to Ignite "quality gives increased ignite duration"
Elemental Proliferation "quality gives increased ignite duration"
Fire penetration "quality gives fire damage"
Blood Magic
6th link would be "increased burning damage"
Empower?i don't really think it would do it's job without a high as thicker bow with +3 lvl to gems

Offense " Oh and explosive arrow is only level 17"
-clear speed is absolutely ridiculous,mostly 1-2 shotting bosses with 4/5 arrows each shot
-Ignite Duration
30% from 20% Quality chance to ignite
15% from 20% Quality elemental proliferation
20% from 20% Quality flammability
Giving a total of 65% increased ignite duration

-just like SRS ,you don't have a tool tip displaying your damage :(
-playing with whispers of doom,giving you 2 curses to use "flammability and elemental weakness"
-i'm level 75 and i basically hit 1 arrows with flammability and clear any blue pack in 78 maps
- i still don't have whispers of doom that's why i don't have elemental weakness in gear yet
-thinking of getting a +1 curse ammy and using vulnerability also

Defense
-A total of 215% life with kaom's heart ,absolutely big life pool ,easy 8k+life
-8.7% life regeneration +1.2% from 6 endurance charges ,A total of 11.6% life regen when adding the 1.7% regen from vitality,reaching 900+regen with 8k+ life
-184% armor,you can always swap some points and take the unyielding cluster 58% more armor,i'm currently at 7.7k armor "47% physical damage reduction +24% from endurance charges-i have a total of 71% physical damage reduction" ,also i'm 6.5k life with 162% life nodes

Notes about the tree and build

Elemental Reflect?
Spoiler
Since the build is based around the ignite damage for clearing packs,you only fire 1 or 2 arrows on a pack ,and let the ignite clear it,and only the explosion damage is reflected"ignite damage doesn't reflect"so no,there are no problems considering reflect

Gem Links?
Spoiler

-Main link:Explosive arrow+chance to ignite+elemental proliferation+blood magic+fire penetration+increased burning damage (the priority for the gem links is the same order as they are mentioned above"
-4l:vaal haste+vaal haste+immortal call+increased duration
-4l:haste+vitality+reduced mana+enduring cry
-4l:flammability+elemental weakness+blood magic + "vaal immortal call/molten shell/increased duration,w.e you think you need"
why no popular cwdt/enduring cry/immortal call setup?
you don't really get hit if you play the build right,you can get up to 140% proj speed from quiver and quill rain giving you insane range,i basically clear packs without even seeing them"learn how detect stuff from sound :D ",so a cwdt setup is a failure since you rarely get hit,an automatic high lvled enduring cry gives you the 6 charges when running in a pack,and the high lvl immortal call lasts for 13 secs with icnreased duration gem and increased skill effect duration nodes,so ye casting manually is much btr

Why the increased skill effect duration nodes?
Spoiler

-it affects the times before the fuses explode ,which will increase it from 1 second to 1.9 second,it may delay you in the low level maps in terms of clearing speed but will help vs hard bosses where you have to kite ,which will give you more time to re-hit and charge the fuses on the boss

-As you can see in my gear,i'm running dual vaal hastes with increased duration gem,with the nodes,each vaal haste lasts for more than 16 seconds,with the high clearing speed ,you kinda have the vaal haste up all the time

Resists?
Spoiler

-As you can see the tree gives you a total of 35% all resists,which will enable yo to focus on the stats you want on the gear like armor/life/strength"for more life" and stats needed for gems "dex/int" not needing high resists on gear and paying alot of currency

Elemental Equilibrium?
Spoiler

-very good,considering the attack of explosive arrow only does the bow's physical damage+any elemental damage you got,any cold or lightning damage you have on any piece will simply make ur explosive arrow proc elemental equilibrium and making you benefit from the -50% fire resistance ,also giving u +1% life regeneration on the way which is a lot considering this build's life pool
also if you're worried about the fire damage procing EE again and making the mob fire resistant reducing burn damage,then it will only happen on the target you originally hit with the EE at first (the one u fired your arrows at)

Auras?
Spoiler

-Currently Running Vitality and Haste,Determination is always an option of course though i don't feel i need it now

Stats To focus on gear?
Spoiler

Simply High life-Armor-strength "for more life" -and attack speed is the only offensive stat to help

Any Gear piece is a must?
Spoiler

-Anything Can work actually,quill rain is the best option for start,a 5l now costs less than an exalted or something.
-kaom's heart is very effective,huge life pool and gives 20-40% fire damage depending on the roll
"costs around 3ex or something now

Range
Spoiler

-with a max of 100% projectile speed and the ability to get another 40% from quiver,your arrow range is absolutely insane ,i clear maps without even engaging monsters"new defensive mechanism :D "

Build is very fun to play and has very good damage and defense,about atziri,since it can't be ignited i\m thinking it might be doable with a +3 bow with attack speed using "explosive arrow+fire penetration+empower+blood magic+faster attacks" and play with the initial fuse damage which is very decent,give me your thoughts ,hopefully you will try it and enjoy it ,GL :)

MY IGN : MoltenXdas
feel free to talk to me in game if you have any questions or wanna see the build in action.

Screen shot for character sheet
http://imgur.com/Ns7aExM

Last edited by mazengamedawy on Jan 28, 2015, 5:53:27 AM
very nice build

I just played with him in a 78 courtyard double boss and he killed the bosses and was one shotting every most packs in the map... with a lvl75 char. its freaking amazing
For all I know (and the wiki seems to support that) skill effect duration does not increase ignite duration. Explosive Arrow only has the duration tag because of the time it takes for the fuses to detonate.
Not one arrow but one explosion.

Duration = longer fuse = more arrows in > bigger explosion -> bigger ignite

Whats the attacks per second and sum of "increased fire damage" ?

My rough guess would be 5k dps arrow and 6k dps ingite before resistances are considered.
(double that for overleved explosive arrow)

For ranged i would say quite sick expecially since you use free EE.

EDIT: If you are not affraid of nerf ( i assume you arn't since you posted it here) go for next build of week thingy - it is hell of cheap and effective build .
Last edited by Stt3r0 on Jan 17, 2015, 3:01:12 PM
"
Soranor wrote:
For all I know (and the wiki seems to support that) skill effect duration does not increase ignite duration. Explosive Arrow only has the duration tag because of the time it takes for the fuses to detonate.

if you can give me a link to support that would be great of you,in my personal experience ,i notice that the ignite duration increases with the nodes though
"
Stt3r0 wrote:
Not one arrow but one explosion.

Duration = longer fuse = more arrows in > bigger explosion -> bigger ignite

Whats the attacks per second and sum of "increased fire damage" ?

My rough guess would be 5k dps arrow and 6k dps ingite before resistances are considered.
(double that for overleved explosive arrow)

For ranged i would say quite sick expecially since you use free EE.

EDIT: If you are not affraid of nerf ( i assume you arn't since you posted it here) go for next build of week thingy - it is hell of cheap and effective build .

Increased Fire Damage
-111% from Passive Tree+37% from kaom's heart makes it 148% total increased fire damage

Attacks per second
-3.8 without vaal haste
-4.9 with vaal haste gonna post screen shots for character sheet

Skill effect duration definitely doesn't increase ignite duration (status effects are not skill effects), but like Stt3r0 said, it *should* help your DPS, because you can make sure that you kill the enemy directly with arrows (thanks to the fuse being longer) instead of the fuse just triggering on its own. Bigger explosions = more ignite damage.
Last edited by codetaku on Jan 17, 2015, 4:00:25 PM
+10% for fire pen makes it 158%
for 17lv explosive arrow - 1200 avg damage = 4500 dps with 3.8 att/s

ignite: assuming you have 75% burning damage from passives for total 233% increase
Your fuse delay is 1.9s means you get 7 arrows in before explosion->
Explosion deals 7x1200x3.33x0.2 => 5600 dps from ingite for 4s after explosion

so dps is 4500+5600 , double that for 23lv explosive arrow.

(BEFORE RESISTANCES , EE + curses would double it again)
Last edited by Stt3r0 on Jan 17, 2015, 4:15:49 PM
there's something i don't think we're agreeing on,here's the tool tip for explosive arrow

"Fires an arrow which which acts as a short duration fuse. Applying additional arrows to an enemy extends the duration. When the target dies or the fuses expire, the arrows explode, dealing fire AoE damage to nearby enemies. The AoE radius is proportional to the number of arrows upon death."

from my understanding to this line and from what i noticed in game,each arrow restarts the fuse duration of 1.9 seconds,i can hit a mob for like 10 seconds and the arrow fuse won't explode ,so i'mnot limited to the number of arrows i can hit in the fuse duration
Ah i didn't know that. so the burn damage is wrong and hard to calculate.
But thats actually bad thing as vs single target you need to pause shooting in order to get detonation and ignite.

You don't want to take duration nodes then as they simply delay explosion and do not modify ignite in any way.

I wonder, wiki makes it sound like the explosion damage would be impacted by projectile damage (in addition to fire damage) but not weapon damage ... bizzare

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info