Devourers, what makes their current state justified?

"
ScavengeBR wrote:
A lot of things in this game are unfair and/or not handled correctly. For my build I just went as defensive as possible and these things don't even hurt me at all.

For glass cannon/offensive builds you might as well prepare to die (if the desync doesn't get you first).

It's sad you have to build a certain way in order to account for this game’s problems. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they care...

90% PDR and 4.5k hp

I'm not glass cannon by any means and my dps is about 12k.

You are missing the point like a few others here, this mob is the ONLY mob in the game that has this type of interaction. Invisible and is guaranteed to strike you unless you are running 100% movement speed bonus.

There is no reason these mobs should be allowed this type of behavior with the amount of damage and health they have.
Best way to avoid them is to move out of range before they hit. They're kind of slow so just keep moving. Don't escape into unexplored territory if you can help it though.
The main thing with Devourers is that once you see them, immediately get out of melee range. Not far, but just enough so that they can only hit with fireballs, which are more easily mitigated. Hopefully your evade char is good on the dodges.

Still, I'm not crazy about the "it hits me before the animation plays" thing. I really wish that would get fixed.
"
StumpyJoe wrote:
"
ScavengeBR wrote:
A lot of things in this game are unfair and/or not handled correctly. For my build I just went as defensive as possible and these things don't even hurt me at all.

For glass cannon/offensive builds you might as well prepare to die (if the desync doesn't get you first).

It's sad you have to build a certain way in order to account for this game’s problems. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they care...

90% PDR and 4.5k hp

I'm not glass cannon by any means and my dps is about 12k.

You are missing the point like a few others here, this mob is the ONLY mob in the game that has this type of interaction. Invisible and is guaranteed to strike you unless you are running 100% movement speed bonus.

There is no reason these mobs should be allowed this type of behavior with the amount of damage and health they have.

It seems you missed the point of my post as well. I never criticized your build nor did I try and start a pissing contest of "who can be more defensive". The fact is, for most builds in the game this mob can be problem. However, if you build defensively enough then it's just a mere annoyance to kill.

In this game it's inevitable that you are going to get hit and how you build your character can either save or kill you in these situations. And this is why GGG will not care to remove it from the game or modify its behavior. Case closed.

"
ScavengeBR wrote:

It seems you missed the point of my post as well. I never criticized your build nor did I try and start a pissing contest of "who can be more defensive". The fact is, for most builds in the game this mob can be problem. However, if you build defensively enough then it's just a mere annoyance to kill.

In this game it's inevitable that you are going to get hit and how you build your character can either save or kill you in these situations. And this is why GGG will not care to remove it from the game or modify its behavior. Case closed.

Wrong, the reason I stated one of my characters statistics was to express to you that I don't fit the criteria for glass cannon. Its not about inevitable "things will kill you" I'm talking about an fair experience for mitigation in a fair means and not just a "suck it up things beat you sometimes".

There's plenty of things that destroy my character and I'm fine with those because he is not intended for that. Things where spell block is a must or high block chance makes my character null and void. Void bearers with added projectiles for example I cannot do either. However all of those things are not the same degree of unfair experience you face when facing Devourers.

You have still not given a reason for why its justified other than contradicting and misinterpreting what I say for a "pissing contest". Devourers have unrealistic and unfair counter play options (if you can call them that) that are too niche compared to other mobs in this game.

On a side note, I never asked for the removal of the mob or even change to it. I just asked for justification of its current state.
Last edited by StumpyJoe on Jan 15, 2015, 1:40:28 AM
The truth is that Devourers are badly designed and poorly implemented.

The Design
The design of Devourers can be summarized in "surprise attack", or cheating if you will. Their main behavior is to pop out of the ground without any announcement of where they will pop up or how many will pop up.

This is counter to the design of the entire game where we as players do all in our power to prepare for any danger. Passive skills, gear and skills are chosen so that we may deal with as many threats as possible. Each character will have different weakness which puts the "role" in the role playing in this game. However, because the Devourers do not announce their position or how many they are, they become the exception to the rule of preparation and they are therefore effectively cheating.

The Implementation
The fault in the design of the Devourer can be fixed by it's implementation. By sound, shaking ground animation, tracks in the ground where the Devourer's move (one track per Devourer) are things that will tell us, the players, where and how many they are so that we can prepare for them.

There is a second problem with the implementation of Devourers which is that they do not make an attack animation when they come up from the ground. So, what happens is that you run past them and when they pop up your are not near them but you still take damage. This is caused by desync which is by any stretch part of the game rules and so it is not an excuse. This can be solved by removing the damage the Devourers do when they pop out of the ground and instead let them start a normal attack animation if the player is within range.

These are feasible solutions to a badly designed and poorly implemented monster and there is not really any excuse as to why these monsters are in the game in their current state.
I would love to get a game mode where all monsters, even bosses would behave as Devourers.
Get some MS on boots. Moving counters devourers. It's only when you stand still as if paralyzed and go OMG OMG DEVOURER WHAT DO that you will be... devoured.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
This may come as a surprise, but carry a Quartz Flask of Adrenaline in lieu of a Quicksilver. During an OH SHIT! moment, you won't have collision with the devourers and thus cannot desynced back into the pack.

It really is a better flask than quicksilver if you have a pair of boots with +MS% on it.
Last edited by Lyralei on Jan 15, 2015, 4:12:25 AM
Movespeed.

Devourers are never a problem (and yes I only play HC).

1. Can there be devourers on map?
2. Have Granites equipped.
3. Place decoy totem and start running around over the screen.
4. If there are devourers they will pop and not more than 1 will hit you with 30 MS boots.
5. Kill the pack.
6. Repeat next area.

I feared devourers before but now I think they are easy tbh, there are far worse mobs like leaping shit with increased mods and desynching crit bears.

Problem is that people dont adapt their playstyle to the map they are playing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info