Countterattack build? Help! I have no idea what I'm doing....mostly.

I'm looking to make a counter attack/damage return build but I've got a few question and need some help putting it together.

1.What happens when you have multiple counter attack gems equipped? Do they proc all at the same time Or Does only trigger at a time?

2.Does Aspd and weapon range affect the counter attack? For example is riposte limited to only things within my weapon range or does it have it's own range? Can i put more than one copy of riposte or vengance on and they'll all activate?

3.Will counter attacks still proc statuses and trigger effects like cast on crit? I know returned/reflected damage can't proc statuses so i'm wondering about this.

4. Does returned/reflected damage benefit from your passives in any way? If I have a 20 Fire damage returned to attacker item equipped will fire passives increase it's damage?

5.Does damage return still activate on blocked hits?

6.Can a character block during another skill/action? For example if I went cyclone or whirling blades or something could I still block while midspin and proc the effects of my counters? and if so would it interrupt the skill?

The concept: I'm going for something that plays kinda like a fencer, but I also figured I'd need at least one mobility skill to get into and out of mobs of enemies when need be. so cyclone or whirling blades seem ideally suited for that. I figure my main attack skill will probably be something like lightning strike or infernal blow I also considered having a cast on crit puncture and a curse on hit vulnerability in the build. But I'm not sure how much accuracy I need for end game content and might simply take resolute technique so I don't have to worry about it at all. Which would mean dropping crit entirely. Weapon wise I'm looking at getting a good thrusting sword for the high base aspd and long reach it has compared to other 1 hand weapons. Planning to go sword Shield instead of dual wield because it seemed the more practical way to go. But looking at the passive tree I can't figure out where all my block chance is going to come from if I want to have decent damage output.

Defensively I plan to focus on HP/Armor since evading wouldn't be entirely beneficial in this setup. IIRC evade is checked before block and would thus render my blocking moot. So i'll probably grab iron reflexes as well just to squeeze as much extra armor out of it as I can.

Originally I had planned to start this as a Scion(For some reason I can't help but feel she should be using a rapier.) but I'm also considering starting as duelist.

Any advice on how to make this thing work effectively would be greatly appreciated. It's been awhile since I played and the passive tree looks alien to me now and i've forgotten most of the stuff I knew(last time I was around I think Piety was still 'end game'.) but this sort of counter attacking defensive character is something I've wanted to build for awhile now as I prefer heavily defense oriented builds for my melee chars.
1. IF you have copies of the same gem then only 1 will proc. if it's different gems eg. reckoning and riposte, then they may proc at the same time. Vengeance procs on hit, not block so it can't proc when you block, meaning it can't proc at the same times riposte/reckoning.
2. Vengeance area is based on your weapon range. Riposte can attack outside of your melee range.
3. Yes.
4. No.
5. Yes.
6. Yes. Block is similar to evasion. Only times the block animation plays is when you get stunned.
IGN: Smegacore
Last edited by battled on Jan 13, 2015, 6:46:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info