Can you please help me with my reave ranger build?

Hi there, first forum post here, (be gentle!)

So I saw Ziggyd's "southpaw reave ranger" build on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QZzc_vJnMs and decided this is what I wanted to be as my first proper character.

I'm level 66 now and hitting just over 12k dps with 2.1k hp with 1 maxed resist and two 60% resists. My problem is I'm not really sure how to progress further with my character. I want to get the dps as high as possible (I believe ziggy has his at 40k+ dps) but as I'm fairly new to the game I'm not completely sure how I should look to achieve this.

I'm aware that my crit chance isn't very high (24.5%) with a 614% crit multiplier. I'm thinking that may be the heart of my problem.

My gear is as follows:

Now one of the big problems for me as a new character is that I don't know that attributes to look for in my gear, so this is where I turn to you, wonderful forum surfers!

I'm thinking that my sword, being quite underlevelled, is holding my dps back but im not really sure what attributes i need to be looking for in a new sword (or dagger) to get the highest dps and to work well with my high attack speed(7.9).

Here is my passive tree so far as of level 66:

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAAYAXgHRAdwCEQMnBiAGogguCLEV8BX2F9wZjhm0I_Yk_SchLOkwfDIJNZI26DrhPs8__ETSRmlNkk3jUUdW-livW69eRWBBYnlnoGxGbmluqnJsdKB313gNhNmHdo19kvObjaOKo-ekeKZXqW6v67Xyvea-ir6nwdXEuMrT037UUtX42L3dDd744urnVOhm7YPuDu96-WP66_zF_gn-Cv6P_94=

What do you think I need to add? I plan on going further over to the marauder side of the tree and picking up the life nodes and crit chance nodes.

Anyone that has any constructive advice to share I'd be grateful and happy to here it!

If you need any more details that I haven't realised are important, just ask and I'll post them up for you :)

THANK YOU BASED GOD
Last edited by Vulcan88 on Jan 12, 2015, 3:16:03 PM
bump
THANK YOU BASED GOD
You want more life and cap your resists. Dead dps is zero.

You also want crit chance on ur weapon. With just a 6% crit weapon you'd go up to roughly 30% chance. A perfect crit foil and u would be close to 35%. Higher crit gives you better use of all the crit multi u have.
IGN: smexylolrus
I'm a bit sceptical of the whole Brightbeak speed boost business. I think this is a case where the tooltip is lying. If you look at the tooltip, it appears as if your character averages the attack speed of the two weapons, so Brightbeak will improve your tooltip DPS compared to using a slow off-hand. But if you watch your character carefully while dual-wielding, you see that each hand has its own animation speed. Normally you alternate weapons, so it's as if you have averaged the speeds. But on a southpaw build, you're only swinging one weapon, so only the speed of that weapon actually matters.

That doesn't mean southpaw builds are a dead loss, just that Brightbeak isn't that useful (the only global bonuses on it are fire/lightning resist).
"
Incompetent wrote:
I'm a bit sceptical of the whole Brightbeak speed boost business. I think this is a case where the tooltip is lying. If you look at the tooltip, it appears as if your character averages the attack speed of the two weapons, so Brightbeak will improve your tooltip DPS compared to using a slow off-hand. But if you watch your character carefully while dual-wielding, you see that each hand has its own animation speed. Normally you alternate weapons, so it's as if you have averaged the speeds. But on a southpaw build, you're only swinging one weapon, so only the speed of that weapon actually matters.

That doesn't mean southpaw builds are a dead loss, just that Brightbeak isn't that useful (the only global bonuses on it are fire/lightning resist).

Doesn't that mean I can have consistent dps without buying two swords? and have the same attack speed?
THANK YOU BASED GOD
"
Vulcan88 wrote:

Doesn't that mean I can have consistent dps without buying two swords? and have the same attack speed?

Sure, but you could put any blunt weapon in the spare hand - its speed isn't actually used, whatever the tooltip says.
the physical damage on that sword is really good, though you could use wetstones on it to boost the phys more with quality. The attack speed and crit chance lets it down.

Something a bit more like that perhaps would fit the build.

Is there a build guide for what you are doing? Im vaguely aware of ziggys build idea from watching streams but I havent seen the specifics. Would hesitate to make recommendations without understanding what hes doing exactly.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
the physical damage on that sword is really good, though you could use wetstones on it to boost the phys more with quality. The attack speed and crit chance lets it down.

Something a bit more like that perhaps would fit the build.

Is there a build guide for what you are doing? Im vaguely aware of ziggys build idea from watching streams but I havent seen the specifics. Would hesitate to make recommendations without understanding what hes doing exactly.

Ah interesting, so you think my dps would go up with a sword like that? Will have to look into something like this, I'll post results once I've attained a similar weapon :)
THANK YOU BASED GOD
well your hat gives 40-60 flat physical damage, this is added to your weapon essentially each time you attack, so if you attack once per second you apply that added phys once per second, if you attack 10 times per second you apply it 10 times, so a lot of flat added damage favors attack speed to get the most out of it. Your sword has about 190 physical dps as it is, this one has 275 physical dps because its got so much more attack speed and will give you more crit chance, apply your flat added phys more times per sec, so for sure a sword like that would be a dps upgrade.

the hat also has ridiculous amounts of crit multi. not sure if you are aware how crit chance works in this game, Ill explain in case thats a no. % increased critical strike chance on the tree, rings, amulet, gloves like those maligaros etc increases your weapons base crit chance. Your weapon has 5%, that sword has 6.1, so speccing 100% increased crit chance will give you an extra 5% with your sword and an extra 6.1% with this other one. Getting a local crit chance roll on the weapon is key for crit builds as it increases the base figure that all your other crit chance is multiplying. Daggers are amazing for crit as they can go over 10% base crit chance, but you have sword nodes and dagger nodes are far away from your tree so Id stick with swords.

I am unsure what ziggy is doing to advise you on other slots though, if its an evasion build, a hybrid build with armour, I could post you example gear but I dunno what is needed for the spec. Does ziggy use an abyssus too?

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
well your hat gives 40-60 flat physical damage, this is added to your weapon essentially each time you attack, so if you attack once per second you apply that added phys once per second, if you attack 10 times per second you apply it 10 times, so a lot of flat added damage favors attack speed to get the most out of it. Your sword has about 190 physical dps as it is, this one has 275 physical dps because its got so much more attack speed and will give you more crit chance, apply your flat added phys more times per sec, so for sure a sword like that would be a dps upgrade.

the hat also has ridiculous amounts of crit multi. not sure if you are aware how crit chance works in this game, Ill explain in case thats a no. % increased critical strike chance on the tree, rings, amulet, gloves like those maligaros etc increases your weapons base crit chance. Your weapon has 5%, that sword has 6.1, so speccing 100% increased crit chance will give you an extra 5% with your sword and an extra 6.1% with this other one. Getting a local crit chance roll on the weapon is key for crit builds as it increases the base figure that all your other crit chance is multiplying. Daggers are amazing for crit as they can go over 10% base crit chance, but you have sword nodes and dagger nodes are far away from your tree so Id stick with swords.

I am unsure what ziggy is doing to advise you on other slots though, if its an evasion build, a hybrid build with armour, I could post you example gear but I dunno what is needed for the spec. Does ziggy use an abyssus too?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1029231 here is Ziggy's thread showcasing his gear
THANK YOU BASED GOD

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info