I just tried Tornado shot and I already miss Melee...

I had a Mind over Matter Two-hander Dualist which I had alot of fun with. Sadly I died at 79, but im atleast happy it wasn't too desync. He died like a man in untainted paradise.

Anyways I enjoy experimenting with builds, so I made my first bow dude and Im planning to get some odd CI build with Berzerker fury and maybe Darkscorne. Probably gonna get ghost reaver and some life leech.
Quite recently I picked up Tornado shot and my god that skill is just sick.

Problem is its kinda dull and I don't wanna become just another Tornado shot bow user.
But right now im having problems picking something else that isn't big downgrade.
Tornado shot is nice for physical dmg which im planning on focusing on, it has a insane AoE yet still great single target dmg.
Its like the game game is saying "Go this for success".

Dunno could just be BoWs isn't my cop of tea.
It's not that I sometimes forget melee exists in this game, but the game sometimes forgets melee exists.
Hi

YellowMage
"
It's not that I sometimes forget melee exists in this game, but the game sometimes forgets melee exists.

Exactly this and that Picture describe perfectly why I finally quit playing melee. Melee was my favorite through CB,OB and the first few leagues but now Melee is nothing compared to magic/bow users and some of the monster mobs GGG thinks is cool to have in the game. Devourers should never be in groups that huge... but it happens, this issue should be addressed. Personally Devourers should never have made it into the game they are simply a rip off of that D3 monster, but at least in D3 a player can look at the cracks in the ground to discern where they are (very rare praise for d3).

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
Last edited by Finkenstein on Jan 11, 2015, 1:46:30 PM
I agree that the devourer packs can get a tad too extreame in Untainted. I had already killed several massive clusters of Devourer packs, some with about 8x champions. I also came across a massive pack with that annoying link which I just could not deal with.
Then this, must have been atleast 20 in total popping up at the same time, atleast half of em Champions.

Still I like Devourers, Think its one of the most Iconic Monsters in PoE. And to be fair those things are one of the few that actually are a real threat to ranged aswell.
There should be more mobs that pose a threat to ranged, because right now its too much of a cakewalk.

I agree Melee still needs some boost, its so fun but deserve some more love. Tornado shot just seem like easymode skill number 1. You have great AoE and still strong dmg, its ranged and can be linked with 3-5 extra projectiles....
Yeah thats really fair when comparing it to something like Cleave...

If you really like melee despite the more powerful alternatives out there I strongly suggest you check out Static Strike. I had a Ground Slam / Heavy Strike Marauder that was stun oriented using Mahori Erqi. It was slow killing but very durable for a two handed weapon user. As soon as Static Strike dropped I tried swapping it in for Ground Slam and the improvement was incredible. At that point the only thing in my passives that supported it was some increased AOE and Elementalist (originally taken for the resists). My clear speed shot through the roof and I was able to go from using two active attack gems to one. Since then I gradually altered my build to get better use from the new attack gem and I fell back in love with a character I was about ready to abandon. It feels almost as powerful as my old physical crit Spectral Throw Shadow (before 1.3 nerforama.)

There is a good thread build guide in the Marauder sub forum for Mahori Erqi Static Strike. I did some things differently but it is a very good place to start if this sounds interesting to you. As a melee fan it has to at least worth a look. If you prefer to use a shield there are also builds for that.

FYI I am now level 89, have done up to level 77 maps and have never died to Devourers.
"Sing while you may!" -Edward Ka-Spel
Last edited by tsalal on Jan 11, 2015, 5:53:12 PM
I started 4th build this season (torment league) and I made tornado shadow as my first build, yes it's strong, evasion with acrobatics is kinda op, the tornado skill is good both as single target and aoe, but some how I didn't like it that much. Next three builds are spellcasters and I somehow enjoy them more, but...

I was fan of melee in last few seasons, but after playing ranged builds (spellcasters and bow) I must admit I don't want to go back to melee unless something is changed. Basically armor - it sucks. You need to stack shitloads of it, play in melee range, eat all hits and you get less than mitigation than fucking EV+acrobatics or cloak of defiance or lightning coil + arctic armor. I mean seriously, it's not that much because of content, melee is in bad spot because armor sucks. I think it's time to change how armor works. When you sustain, the dps and melee skills in particular are less of an issue, but now it overall look like "don't play melee". Yes you can go with shield and stack to max block, but armor is still dogshit in current state of the game.
Last edited by walentaz on Jan 11, 2015, 6:14:34 PM
Well maybe you should be re-thinking about armor. I have guildmate who had gone meele in Bloodlines.

He has 20K armor just with grace. 30K armor when he adds determination. About 70-100K armor when he pops flasks. He also wears lighting coil for additional protection. He said that with flasks popped up he has effective 95% physical reduction up to lvl 77 mobs :-) And this is on Bloodlines league.
He also has 5K HP pool to add.

When another guild-mate asked him why people think that armor sucks? He replied people take too low number of armor nodes and end up running with just 10K armor around. That's why they think that it sucks. :-)

Well maybe you should give it some thought. :-)

But ranged evasion acrobatics anytime for mass devourer herding is possible too :-) :-)
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
"
Filousov wrote:
Well maybe you should be re-thinking about armor. I have guildmate who had gone meele in Bloodlines.

He has 20K armor just with grace. 30K armor when he adds determination. About 70-100K armor when he pops flasks. He also wears lighting coil for additional protection. He said that with flasks popped up he has effective 95% physical reduction up to lvl 77 mobs :-) And this is on Bloodlines league.

When another guild-mate asked him why people think that armor sucks? He replied people take too low number of armor nodes and end up running with just 10K armor around. That's why they think that it sucks. :-)

Well maybe you should give it some thought. :-)

But ranged evasion acrobatics anytime for mass devourer herding is possible too :-) :-)

I wonder how fast can your friend kill mobs and bosses? I don't like melee builds in this game because they are too slow. The only melee build I enjoyed so far was Cyclone because you move and kill at the same time :)
I love melee. and I rised up a lot of melee builds. and whats my conclusion?
dont go melee. not in this game. not for the moment. its my opinion!
"
Filousov wrote:

And he is right. The problem is - it's not easy to get that 100k armor. And when you get that 100k armor, you can eat uber atziri minion hits all day, even powerful crits vaal guys with shock on, but your dps **might** probably suck donkey bawlz.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info