[2.4] The Dy'Ness Tank

"
So right now we are still discussing the difference between Chieftain, Occulist and Guardian...

Don't write off the Scion!

Just because the other classes are optimal for common build build configurations doesn't make the Scion bad!

I'd hate for somebody to use my decisionmatrix argumentation based on the common trading environment where players are able to shore up weaknesses of their builds easily to dismiss the Scion for self found builds, when that's one of the places the Scion's adaptability is likely to shine.

"

As someone who play self-found, I don't have the best gear imaginable. The issue is that these three options are three entirely separate classes, as such I really need to pick one of them to start with tomorrow. I haven't got a Consuming Dark and not likely to get one anytime soon.

My current ES tank is the Scion, I have a spare Witch that I was using for flame totem MFing, that if needed I can convert to Occulist. I have a level 80 Templar I haven't touched for a year.

I guess what I am saying, is that I am going to have to dump my Scion. But I can't decide which path to take. I care very much more on single-target fights against bosses, as my priority is surviving against a boss rather than clear speed. Which is the absolute tankiest against Single Target? The one that allow me to survive boss hits, that wouldn't make me desperate for flask refills?

Absolutely tankiest against single target is probably the Marauder-Chieftain, if you are willing to spend the skillpoints on getting him 2 extra endurance nodes (one from bandits, one on the way to getting a further 0.2% life regeneration/endurance node. His Ascendancy will provide 5.0% ES/s regeneration at all times so long as you are at maximum endurance nodes, which you will be, and as a bonus having five endurance nodes will make you even tankier against physical damage.

It does (as previously shown) cost a not insignificant number of skillpoints to get this - points that could otherwise be used on maximum ES. But it doesn't get tankier against repeated pounding than that.... HOWEVER, as you are self found, you really need the skill points to shore up the ES pool more than you need the extra regeneration% (or at least that's what it looks like to me looking at your Scion, Sionspirit).

But look... If you like playing your Scion, don't dump it yet.

Use Occultist as one of its baby ascendancies (yes, you don't get the full benefit because you don't use Chaos, but it is another 40 INT, 20% ES, and 1% ES regen, as well as 20% increased damage vs cursed) and for the other one, either use Berserker, Chieftain, or Juggernaut.

I can see that your character Sionspirit runs only a single curse, Enfeeble, so you are currently getting minimal benefit from Ghost Reaver, having to link Life Leech to your CWDTs and gaining no life leech from your main attack; Berserking Life leeching 1.5% from everything you and your CWDT's hit will help a lot; Even against single targets, that's equivalent to a few percentage points of regeneration. Sure, you take 5% more damage, but that's a small price to pay when you aren't leeching anything with your main attack otherwise.

Or Chieftain - innovatively making your ES tank into a totem build by deploying a Flame totem to help you out for another 2% ES/s regen and 30% increased damage (so 3% ES/s total including the Occultist compared to the Marauder-Chieftain's 5%), or Juggernaut, to keep up your endurance charges easily and gain stun and chill immunity.

Neither of these are as good as the Marauder-Chieftain at regeneration in general, as the Witch-Occultist at dealing damage while scaling regeneration with enemy group size, as the Shadow-Trickster at regeneration vs. groups in general, but they have their own strong points and they leave you with more skill points to invest in damage or maximum energy shield as you see fit. Best of all - as you say that you are a self-found player - you can change from one configuration of baby-ascendancies to another at the cost of a few Orbs of Regret should your circumstances change.

"

I never played a Templar build that I liked. Right now I am hoping 2.2 would bring something different. As someone who only ever killed Atziri once, All I want is a build that can survive the Trio and Atziri. I am hoping that one of these three Ascendency classes would do the trick.

You don't need anything the Ascendancy classes bring to do that; My Scionic Flametank is perfectly capable of doing that, and it is less tanky than Dy'Ness build in defenses and definitely in gear.

The important thing - for my less tanky build - was finding out how to survive the trio with my slow reflexes, and the answer turned out to be stun immunity + movement skill, something that was easy to pick up by respeccing 4 points into Unwavering Stance and slotting Flame Dash. This ensured that the trio never cornered me and I could always dash out of reach to regenerate my ES as needed. Atziri herself was much easier to defeat than the trio once I relearned the MMO lesson of not standing in fire. :D

With Ascendancy, if you continue using your Scion, just respec away from Berserking to Juggernaut when you want to visit the Apex of Sacrifice. It costs a mere 5 orbs of regret to respec from one baby-ascendancy to another with the same parent class, as it is only reallocating a single ascendancy point.

(Which does add up if you want to just visit a single time, but storing up a good number of summoning fragments before engaging on 5+ visits in a row, 10 orbs of regret in total isn't that bad for changing back and forth.)
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Mar 3, 2016, 7:02:40 PM
Interesting... So it sounds like the main issue with the Guardian is that I would have less points to spend, and that I might not have enough ES in my modest gear to take advantage of its defensive bonuses?
The way it stands, I probably would run an Occulist to start with then. It sounds like the "middle of the road" option. But I just might train a Guardian on the side later just in case.

As for Chieftain, I already booked my main Marauder for MF dual flame totem duties, so maybe next time.
Greetings!

I don't plan on writing off my scion. I am looking at the Occultist + 1 other. I really havnt decided on the other yet. Maybe the Juggernaut and mod the tree so endurance charges cause regeneration. Who knows. I still have time to think about it as it will take 2 ascendancy levels just to get the Occultist.

~Dy'Ness

QBotU_DyNess - www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1171890
"
DyNess wrote:
Greetings!

I don't plan on writing off my scion. I am looking at the Occultist + 1 other. I really havnt decided on the other yet. Maybe the Juggernaut and mod the tree so endurance charges cause regeneration. Who knows. I still have time to think about it as it will take 2 ascendancy levels just to get the Occultist.

~Dy'Ness

And best of all, so long as the one you combine Occultist with is a Marauder baby ascendancy, switching to another of the Marauder's bastard children will only cost you 5 orbs of regret allowing for easy testing.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
I never play the permanent leagues so I'm starting fresh in the new upcoming league.

I think I narrowed it down to either Witch-Occultist or Scion-Occultist/Juggernaut. The latter being freeze and stun immune seems incredible strong, (edit)but do I need it?
Last edited by Zugas on Mar 4, 2016, 7:25:47 AM
"
DyNess wrote:
Greetings!

~Dy'Ness

Occultist + Juggernaut.
My PGs
Crystal_Cooper (Standard League) Corrie_Swanson (Standard League) Hermione_Granger (Standard League) Daenerys_Targaryen_ (Standard League) Randy_Warlord (Standard League)
Greetings!

The next question is: How many times am I going to have to run the Labyrinth in order to get the 2% regen mod on my boots... Combine that with the 1% from Occultist, some extras from the endurance charges... I think I should be able to effectively reach 25% regeneration for 4 seconds after being hit a few times to generate an orb or two.

Unfortunately I have to work this weekend, so my play time will be slightly sporadic. I am hoping to get an or so of play time in after the patch, before I have to head to work.

~Dy'Ness

QBotU_DyNess - www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1171890
"
Zugas wrote:
I never play the permanent leagues so I'm starting fresh in the new upcoming league.

I think I narrowed it down to either Witch-Occultist or Scion-Occultist/Juggernaut. The latter being freeze and stun immune seems incredible strong, (edit)but do I need it?

It isn't freeze immune. It is chilled immune. If it provided freeze and stun immunity the baby-juggernaut ascendancy would be a no-brainer choice, but it doesn't.
"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:
"
Zugas wrote:

It isn't freeze immune. It is chilled immune. If it provided freeze and stun immunity the baby-juggernaut ascendancy would be a no-brainer choice, but it doesn't.

Ah my bad. I dont care about chill immune tbh.
"
DyNess wrote:
Greetings!How many times am I going to have to run the Labyrinth in order to get the 2% regen mod on my boots...

A lot of time... there are 300 different mods ç_ç

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1592018

My PGs
Crystal_Cooper (Standard League) Corrie_Swanson (Standard League) Hermione_Granger (Standard League) Daenerys_Targaryen_ (Standard League) Randy_Warlord (Standard League)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info