[2.4] The Dy'Ness Tank

I was running a ES/regen tank myself on talisman. Was using a 31% block shield + 6% from Sai +3% when tempest shield was up. Total = 40% block. So going for guardians 7% block would be nice. And blocking makes guardian stun immune for 4sec. The 15% reserved mana converted to ES looks interesting too...

On the other hand... Chieftan get so many ittle 0,5% regen nodes + 10% fire pen +1% leech +option to regen with end. charges...

(occultist?inquisitor?)

Help! I cant decide :/
Looking forward to play this as my first and maybe only spec in the exp.
Last edited by Zugas on Feb 29, 2016, 5:54:14 AM
Hi DyNess!

I'm trying the new Acendancy Skill three, offline:

https://github.com/EmmittJ/PoESkillTree/releases/tag/2.2.4

For this build, there are no difference from the previous version of the three. The passive skills are the same.
My PGs
Crystal_Cooper (Standard League) Corrie_Swanson (Standard League) Hermione_Granger (Standard League) Daenerys_Targaryen_ (Standard League) Randy_Warlord (Standard League)
"
neonarr wrote:
I was running a ES/regen tank myself on talisman. Was using a 31% block shield + 6% from Sai +3% when tempest shield was up. Total = 40% block. So going for guardians 7% block would be nice. And blocking makes guardian stun immune for 4sec. The 15% reserved mana converted to ES looks interesting too...

On the other hand... Chieftan get so many ittle 0,5% regen nodes + 10% fire pen +1% leech +option to regen with end. charges...

(occultist?inquisitor?)

Help! I cant decide :/

You might be able to make use of the same decision matrix I created for my Scionic Flametank build when faced with this same problem. I look at it only from an ES regen and damagedealing perspective, not blocking, but I believe the argumentation I make might be of aid to you if you haven't looked too close at the mathematics yet. The question of whether you intend to do pure fire damage or fire/chaos poison with Consuming Dark upends an otherwise simple matrix.

E.g. Shadow-Trickster is by far the best ES-regen tank against groups of enemies so long as you poison, but it is inferior vs. solo bosses regardless of whether you poison or not.

My build started out based on Dy'Ness build and remains close to it, so most conclusions should apply to both.

CI-ZO-GR ES Tank Decision Matrix:

Based on the latest reddit data of Ascendancy classes, the decision matrix looks roughly like this:

Enfeeble+Temporal Chains + fire damage focus and good regeneration at all times: Marauder-Chieftain.
Enfeeble+Temporal Chains + chaos-poison damage focus and good regeneration vs. groups: Scion Berserker/Trickster.
Enfeeble+Temporal Chains + chaos-poison damage focus and decent regeneration at all times: Scion Berserker/Occultist.
Enfeeble+Warlord's Mark + chaos-poison damage focus and max regeneration vs. groups: Shadow-Trickster.
Enfeeble+Warlord's Mark + max regeneration vs. solo bosses: Templar-Inquisitor.
Enfeeble+Warlord's Mark + good regeneration and high damage vs. groups: Witch-Occultist.

I don't play PvP myself, but I'd venture to guess that the Marauder-Chieftain is the best choice by far for that purpose out of the various builds. Lots of extra regenerative survivability that is completely under the player's control (via endurance charges), elemental fire damage with 10% added penetration on top of that from socketed gem, immunity to being ignited, and dual-cursing.

Click this link to read my arguments for the above.

EDIT: I have struck the Templar-Inquisitor from the list after being made aware of the existence in Ascendancy of the Sulphur Flask. Now ALL the builds can get consecrated ground when the going gets tough.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Mar 2, 2016, 5:25:57 PM
hoping dyness makes a final decision. i seen some other theories and awesome points from epsilon. but my friend is the one who plays this build and he is playing the game at age 60 so this build is perfect for him, but saying that he relies on me to help him decide on gear and advice and ever since this build come out he has been playing this build and its been great for him especially for his age. so just need something simple. going with the original build design. scion doesnt look all that great but someone give something simple.
rawrawr
Phish, if you want the simplest build for your friend, I'd venture to say:

1) Probably the simplest: Marauder-Chieftain dealing fire damage: You plow straight through regeneration and life to start with, making for easy leveling, go and pick up ZO, and then start working your way to the right. (Dual cursing and/or extra ES at Unnatural Calm can wait till last). You then get life leech on your fire damage as your 2nd major ascendancy during cruel. Then, during merciless, you pick up the witch ES nodes, the remaining regeneration, Ghost Reaver, and finally take CI.. after which you can clean up for dual cursing and more energy shield or jewels as desired. You end up automatically ES leeching everything, gain another base 1.5% ES/s just from the minor nodes in the skill tree, gain endurance charges automatically from killing, and gain even more ES regeneration from endurance charges...

2) Second simplest: Scion Berserker/Occultist. If your friend is already playing it as a Scion with fire magic without going chaos and am comfortable with it, then why not do the simple thing and stick with what he knows? Berserker/Trickster may be better vs. groups if you've got Consuming Dark, and Berserker/Occultist may be inferior to Marauder-Chieftain with fire, but that doesn't make Berserker/Occultist a bad choice and the differences will be of the "more goodness of the kind I'm used to".

Both of these should be even easier than Dy'Ness traditional build because automatic life leech that doesn't even require the enemy to be cursed first is so very nice in the few situations that are dangerous for the build (huge number of enemies).
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
I am all excited with the new Sulphur flask. Consecrated Ground on use? 5% regen? That would make it very nice to synergise with diamond flasks to tank bosses.
This is my build plan going in to the new perandus league.

I know its Templar....But I really like the Time of Need and Unwavering Faith nodes for the amount of Es and Regen it gives. Just on the nodes leading there you get 18% Increased Es and 10 % increased effect of the auras you run as well as 24% armor increase....Seems good enough to me.

The skill tree is basically the same.
Last edited by NJLGrimm on Mar 2, 2016, 1:08:31 AM
"
NJLGrimm wrote:

I know its Templar....But I really like the Time of Need and Unwavering Faith nodes for the amount of Es and Regen it gives. Just on the nodes leading there you get 18% Increased Es and 10 % increased effect of the auras you run as well as 24% armor increase....Seems good enough to me.

The cost is significant, though.

30% ES one every 10s is after all a mere 3% ES/s regeneration delivered in unwieldy chunks, often when you don't need it, and unavailable for long intervals where you might need it. Add in the 0.4% ES/s from two auras and even assuming that it arrives when it is needed (which it frequently will not), it still remains less passive ES/s regeneration than Marauder-Chieftain built to gain the 0.2% life regen/endurance node (4.3%), Templar-Inquisitor (5%, though arguably the existence of the new Consecrated Ground flask renders this option less valuable), Shadow-Trickster (8.7%+ if recently killed anything using Consuming Dark and you get 250 base ES thrown in as well, much more than any other ascendancy class provides), a Scion Berserker Trickster (half of the Shadow Trickster's conditional regen, Consuming Dark required as well, but free 1.5% life leech (yay!) and 5% damage taken (ouch) thrown in) or even a Witch-Occultist on a killing spree of 7+ mobs.

Be that as it may, even if it doesn't look all that attractive to me from a regeneration perspective (especially when compared to the conservative choice of the Chieftain, that not only beats it in regeneration but throws life leech, fire penetration, and easier maintenance of endurance charges into the mix), the Guardian has other fringe benefits and will require a different playstyle that might be fun in its own right.

One thing I do wonder at is your skill build. It is hard not to notice that your skill tree invests so much in getting the maximum ES down in the Marauder area via another Energy from Within covering Juggernaut and Barbarism and that you pick up extra 12% resistance nodes with the result that you've found yourself unable to spare the 5 points on picking up 2% regeneration from Growth and Decay.

Compare your tree to this one where I dump that in favour of Growth and Decay, Coldhearted Calculation, Nullification, and Faith and Steel (same total point cost):

click me for revised tree

-10 STR
-1 jewel socket
-8% max mana
+20% mana regen rate
+60 INT (30 mana, 12% ES)
+30% ES
+2% life regen
+10% armour
+25% evasion
+12% spell damage
+10% to all resistance
-1% max fire resistance
-20% fire resistance
-12% lightning resistance
-12% cold resistance

Assuming you slot whatever jewel you had considered for the NE 3-pointer (8% max mana) jewel slot into the slot you previously intended for the south-west Energy from Within (which you would dump in this revised build), the end result is a cost of a mere 10% reduced ES (-12%-20%-20%+30%+12%) and slightly lower resistances (2% lower lightning and cold, 10% lower fire, 1% lower max fire) and mana (-8%, but +30) in return for 2% ES/s regeneration and minor fringe benefits to armour, evasion, and damage.
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Mar 2, 2016, 2:48:08 AM
"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:
"
NJLGrimm wrote:

The cost is significant, though.

30% ES one every 10s is after all a mere 3% ES/s regeneration per second delivered in unwieldy chunks, often when you don't need it, and unavailable for long intervals where you might need it. Add in the 0.4% ES/s from auras and even assuming that it arrives when it is needed (which it frequently will not), it still remains less passive ES/s regeneration than Marauder-Chieftain built to gain the 0.2% life regen/endurance node (4.3%), Templar-Inquisitor (5%, though arguably the existence of the new Consecrated Ground flask renders this option less valuable), Shadow-Trickster (8.7%+ if recently killed anything using Consuming Dark and you get 250 base ES thrown in as well, much more than any other ascendancy class provides), a Scion Berserker Trickster (half of the Shadow Trickster's conditional regen, Consuming Dark required as well, but free 1.5% life leech (yay!) and 5% damage taken (ouch) thrown in) or even a Witch-Occultist on a killing spree of 7+ mobs.

Be that as it may, even if it doesn't look all that attractive to me from a regeneration perspective (especially when compared to the conservative choice of the Chieftain, that not only beats it in regeneration but throws life leech, fire penetration, and easier maintenance of endurance charges into the mix), the Guardian has other fringe benefits and will require a different playstyle that might be fun in its own right.

One thing I do wonder at is your skill build. It is hard not to notice that your skill tree invests so much in getting the maximum ES down in the Marauder area via another Energy from Within covering Juggernaut and Barbaism and that you pick up extra 12% resistance nodes with the result that you've found yourself unable to spare the 5 points on picking up 2% regeneration from Growth and Decay.

Compare your tree to this one where I dump that in favour of Growth and Decay, Coldhearted Calculation, Nullification, and Faith and Steel (same total point cost):

click me for revised tree

-10 STR
-1 jewel socket
-8% max mana
+20% mana regen rate
+60 INT (30 mana, 12% ES)
+30% ES
+2% life regen
+10% armour
+25% evasion
+12% spell damage
+10% to all resistance
-1% max fire resistance
-20% fire resistance
-12% lightning resistance
-12% cold resistance

Assuming you slot whatever jewel you had considered for the NE 3-pointer (8% max mana) jewel slot into the slot you previously intended for the south-west Energy from Within (which you would dump in this revised build), the end result is a cost of a mere 10% reduced ES (-12%-20%-20%+30%+12%) and slightly lower resistances (2% lower lightning and cold, 10% lower fire, 1% lower max fire) and mana (-8%, but +30) in return for 2% ES/s regeneration and minor fringe benefits to armour, evasion, and damage.

Honestly i completely forgot about growth and decay

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info