[2.4] The Dy'Ness Tank

Thinking about respeccing my lvl 76 Witch into this build, as I have been eyeing it for days.

I am in Talisman league and will have roughly 7-8 Ex to gear with. What gear is required to pull this off?
The next bunch of Ascendancy classes have been teased, and let's just say that unless the Scion's single Ascendancy class brings something completely awesome to the table or I've misunderstood what the "recovery" keyword covers, the optimal class for massive ES regeneration tanks will be Shadow-trickers:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Trickster

60% increased life, energy shield, mana recovery if you've killed an enemy within 4s affected by your damage over time.

Consuming Dark => precondition applies to all kills.

The rest of the trickster passives aren't bad either, but that one really does take the pride of place.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Greetings!

The idea of double tapping those life nodes and turning them into ES nodes is valid, and I believe it was mentioned earlier on my thread somewhere. I have just never messed around with it.

I have been trying out some of the new skills and they seem to be holding fairly well. I will put together a quick video of all the stats and get it posted shortly.

As far as the Trickster goes, I am deeply curious as to what will be classified under recovery... Based on what I can see in the video posted, it never gets to life, so we cannot see just how it effected the health. But I am thinking it will be recovery as in potions and leech rate. Not so much % additional regeneration.

EDIT: https://youtu.be/kApK2cPhzhI The video as promised.

~Dy'Ness
QBotU_DyNess - www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1171890
Last edited by DyNess on Feb 7, 2016, 12:11:46 AM
Dy'Ness - I tried double-tapping the Scion life wheel for ES from all the adjacent jewel nodes and found it to be, overall, an inefficient way of gaining energy shield due to the total ES%/skillpoint investment ratio and lost opportunity cost of not using offensive jewels with 8% ES/2-3 offensive stats as compared to the 6% ES and 5% ES/10% armour nodes and using offensive jewels.

Not a bad way, mind you, merely inefficient unless one is hell bent on maximizing ES at all costs.

---

On the recovery issue, as I've understood, "recovery" of a resource covers all sources of recovery, which is why the passive skill tree nodes that use this specifies source, e.g. "life recovery from flasks", "mana recovery from flasks".
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
@Dy'ness @Pi2rEpsilon

As a strictly CI + ZO player for the last 5-6 hc leagues, my main interest is all kinds of variations on this base concept. This HC league I halved my regen and went dual FP crit totems, very interesting indeed, yet retain very good survivability not just from soaking up dmg, but having 2 totems freezing everything (and 21k dps per totem is quite nice in 5L). But i digress, on to my point!

Just wanted to illuminate an answer from Mark at GGG from november 2012:

"Regeneration is a form of recovery, but not all recovery is regeneration - recovery includes leech, flasks, life on hit, etc as well as regeneration. Regeneration includes only those things described as "regeneration" - including the base mana regeneration all characters have."

In essence, recovery seems to be a general term including different ways of recovering hp, mana, es. Regeneration is therefore a specific subtype of recovery, same with lifeleech, manaleech, flasks etc (being other specific types of recovery).

With a map mod reading "Recover your life, mana, ES 40% slower" it will effect regeneration, leech, everything. While "no regeneration" map mods will only affect the subtype recovery regeneration. Also there is a tooltip bug, when running reduced recovery maps, you cannot see the reduced life and mana regen displayed, but its clearly there.

In summary, if Mark from GGG's quote from 2012 still holds true (and Im quite sure it does), trickster will indeed be the best future CI regen tank. I have already dabbled around with a few variations!

Now, Ill see how much time and how high I can get my current semi regen CI with dual fp totem build! Atm working towards 93 in hc talisman.

Last edited by Avantor on Feb 6, 2016, 3:51:16 PM
Greetings!

@Avantor: Thank you. I didn't know that piece. For those who are wondering, here is the quote and the thread. It is less than a page long.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
taekvideo wrote:
"
hzflank wrote:
Also, does this mean that flasks are twice as good in zero regen maps as they are in half regen maps?

No.
Flasks are twice as good in zero regen maps as they are in half *recovery* maps.
No regen maps only affect passive regeneration of life/mana.
Half recovery maps affect recovery from all over-time sources, including flasks/leech/etc.
Regen and recovery are similar words but mean very different things.
Correct. Regeneration is a form of recovery, but not all recovery is regeneration - recovery includes leech, flasks, life on hit, etc as well as regeneration. Regeneration includes only those things described as "regeneration" - including the base mana regeneration all characters have.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/56052

https://youtu.be/kApK2cPhzhI Is the video of the stats I promised.

So based off of this, I guess I may need to level the one shadow I made a few more levels...
It will be interesting to see how it all works out with the Scion's class, when it is released.

~Dy'Ness
For a purely survival standpoint, wouldn't you be better on playing a 4 enlighten in your helm with discipline and vitality along with arctic armor as opposed to the empower? With a 21 disc and my current tree (only 20 vitality) I lose the following:

429 es, 115.8 regen

As opposed to gaining 13% less physical and fire damage? Seems like a decent tradeoff to me.
Anyone think the new Stone Golem might be useful to pump the regen value higher? We have no idea how much it would help or even if it would be compatible with ES regen, but it seems to be a possibility.
"
Anyone think the new Stone Golem might be useful to pump the regen value higher? We have no idea how much it would help or even if it would be compatible with ES regen, but it seems to be a possibility.

Anybody who has an opinion more complex than "perhaps" on whether it might be useful compared to existing alternatives before we have any stats to work on should have his head examined. :D
Greetings!

Concerning Arctic Armor, if you have the spare mana to reserve than yes. I currently lack the spare mana to reserve. Even when I had the other set of aura nodes, reserving for it was still a hindrance. In earlier versions no, as it took a massive amount of mana regen to sustain it.

As far as the stone golem, it should boost the regen, based off of their wording. Existing alternatives which I have used and were helpful were the devouring totem and the regen totem. This was back when totems could be cast with CWDT. They both still work. Devouring totem needs ghost reaver, however the regen totem works just fine with the zealots oath.

As I am currently running the fire golem for the added damage, the concerns will be what regen % and is it worth the loss of the dps. My initial impression is that yes, I will probably switch to a stone golem, or alternate between the two if the stone golem is a red gem.

~Dy'Ness
Last edited by DyNess on Feb 11, 2016, 6:31:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info