[2.4] The Dy'Ness Tank

"
Don't you need to hit 2-3 int nodes to get to Growth and Decay, though?

Oh yes, sorry for my mistake!

We need to activate 2 +10 INT notes in order to reach Growth and Decay!

My PGs
Crystal_Cooper (Standard League) Corrie_Swanson (Standard League) Hermione_Granger (Standard League) Daenerys_Targaryen_ (Standard League) Randy_Warlord (Standard League)
Okay, new version of tree, removing Solidarity and hitting Decay, although while I removed a +10 INT node, I hit more of the Life and Energy Shield nodes. Still at 119 points.
You could also get Coldhearth Calculation and Nullification since you are already there.

Your Tree with Cold and Null

In your tree above I did cut two "6% energie shield" in the middle and the "3% cast speed" + "8% elemental damage" on the left, and took Coldhearth Calculation and Nullification (still 119 points).

That will give us 4% increased damage, 5% increased energy shield and 5 more Mana (also 8% all res / 25% evasion rating). And we lose "only" 3% cast speed.

E: link fixed
Last edited by Dacatur on Dec 7, 2015, 3:55:59 PM
Dacatur, I think you might have copied the URL at the top rather than the one at the bottom, which is the actual updated tree.
After thinking about, you could just remove two of the 5% es nodes with armor instead of the 6% es ones. 2% es should still be better then 20% armor i guess. So you would get 7% increased es.

You could now also sacrifice 11% es(2 nodes) and grab a jewel slot(2 nodes) and fit in 8% es with damage and/or cast speed.
Perfect!

We sacrifice 6 "+10 INT" nodes, but we gain another 6 "+10 INT" nodes(5 basic nodes + Coldhearted Calculation)

Without Coldhearted we lose +10 INT, and this means a malus for ES.
My PGs
Crystal_Cooper (Standard League) Corrie_Swanson (Standard League) Hermione_Granger (Standard League) Daenerys_Targaryen_ (Standard League) Randy_Warlord (Standard League)
Last edited by Randy_TheStalker on Dec 7, 2015, 6:27:33 PM
Question. Brittle Barrier yay or nay. On one hand, we take 10% more damage when our ES is full, but on the other, it starts to become full faster.
Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks to everyone for developing and refining this build (obviously Dy'Ness in particular). I've had a great time playing a variant of it, which I'll share below. I'm currently sitting at level 86 in the hardcore league (I don't play enough to make it to maps in the short, one-month leagues, so I figured I'd play this character instead).

The main difference between what I'm running and what most other people on this thread seem to be doing is that I'm abusing the energy from within jewel. I take the four jewel slots around the scion wheel of life, the entire wheel of life, and the jewel slot by the golem's blood notable (and some of the good life nodes around it). This allows me to have slightly more efficient pathing to some of the regen nodes around the marauder, and gain both more percent increased energy shield and regeneration from the tree. This involves a grand total of seven energy from within jewels.

The downsides are less intelligence from the tree, none of the aura buffs, no utility jewels (that can give damage and other things besides energy shield), and none of the damage/utility nodes picked up near the templar. However, even accounting for the INT and the aura buffs, what I am running should still have more energy shield and regeneration than the traditional Dy'Ness build for reasonably good gear (there is obviously a gear dependency here).

For those keeping score, the level 90 build below (I'm still a few points away), when counting both intelligence from the tree and 12% energy from within jewels, hits exactly 500% increased energy shield (BEFORE the CI more multiplier). The regen from the tree is 12.2% (as opposed to 11.1% when routing through the templar/marauder boundary as in the traditional build).

The build (assuming level 90):

The main reason I chose this modification to the original build, however, was levelling in hardcore. The build as originally stated seems really squishy until you take CI (probably somewhere near level 65 or so). Taking the scion wheel of life fairly early makes both levelling much easier (more life, so less stuns, freezes, potential RIPs to chaos damage, etc.) as well as making the transition to CI really smooth, as you can just pop in all of the energy from within jewels when you take CI.

Gearing is pretty similar to what everyone else here is doing, although I'm using the fairly typical auxium / eye of chayula combination here due to the fact that I have 25% reduced life from the skill tree due to overlapping energy from within jewels.

Gear:
Spoiler

This is obviously not awesome gear, but I still have 13.6K energy shield. Everything except the auxium, the eye of chayula, and the chest (bought unsocketed and unlinked for 15c) was self-found. I bought all but one of the energy from within jewels as well, but those were fairly cheap (1-4c for perfect ones).

Some other comments and suggestions about running a Dy'Ness(-like) build in general:
Spoiler

1. I've really come to appreciate CWDT minion gems. I'm running CWDT zombies, spectres, skeletons, and chaos golem. This can greatly limit incoming damage, particularly when facing monsters without significant AOE damage. No one seems to have pointed this out here (if you did, sorry I missed it), so I thought I'd say something.

2. This was mentioned before, but I think the consuming dark unique dagger is an excellent choice here. It trivializes reflect damage and makes dealing with mobs with annoying amounts of energy shield much less frustrating. I got extremely lucky and dropped one from a unique strongbox, but I don't think it's that expensive. Additionally, the poison changes coming soon should make this an even more desirable weapon to use.

3. I'm running arctic armor instead of vitality. I'm not entirely convinced arctic armor is the better choice here, but a combination of the chill on hit and the lower mana cost (when compared to vitality) seem to bring the decision over the edge for me. Again, I'm not convinced this is the correct call, so if someone would like to make a good argument as to why I'm wrong here, I'd love to hear it.

Some thoughts on 2.1:
Spoiler

I don't think I'm going to change much build-wise in 2.1. I'm definitely going to take the life regen/degen damage cluster between the shadow and the CI keystone, but I don't think anything else will change dramatically.

I might try some other spells--particularly the new chaos damage spells. This is the hidden blessing behind taking literally zero damage-oriented nodes--your damage using all skills is equally bad, so you can try them all.

Anyways, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading! I'm open to suggestions or comments if people have improvements. In sum, I'm not convinced the (relatively small) ES and regen increases are worth it over the original build given that you have to give up quite a bit of damage and utility to achieve it. However, if you're levelling in a temporary league (particularly a hardcore one) it might be useful to try this variant of the build.

Thanks again,
--pseudorandom.
"
Question. Brittle Barrier yay or nay. On one hand, we take 10% more damage when our ES is full, but on the other, it starts to become full faster.

Mh... "Recarge rate" is a secondary stat in this build. Moreovr, the ES is rarely "full" during a fight.

I prefer to use the 5° jewel-slot for spell damage or a maximum ES bonus.

My PGs
It's not recharge rate, it's rate when ES begins to recharge.

Also, that alternate tree above might actually be better than the current tree, I'm going to go play around with both of them, see what happens.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info