Kickstarter Campaign for PoE's Optional Self Found League!

We've tried 150+ page threads, we've tried gathering empirical evidence through on-line polls, but nothing yet has swayed Chris and Qarl from the intentionally-oversimplified hypothesis that "if you want to play self-found, nothing's stopping you."

However, I wondered if it might be worthwhile to start a player-generated kickstarter campaign to gather financial support to aid GGG in developing their own vision of an optional but indefinite self found league (SFL).

I'd be happy to kick in at least $5k to the cause.

What do you think? Would you contribute to make it happen?

I believe that a SFL will attract many new players to PoE and also many retired players back to PoE. I feel strongly that, for very many people, systematised trading (I'm looking at you poe.xyz.is), running maps and grinding from 90-100 eventually becomes a tiresome chore. It certainly has for me and for the vast majority of my friends, who no longer play for this very reason. GGG have the data and will of course have their own views of the stickiness of PoE over time for players, but my conviction is that the introduction of a SFL will see a material net increase in PoE's player base. I believe it makes good business and gaming sense.

2. A SFL preserves the feeling of progress and accomplishment of a new league
For a wizened old player like me, a new league is wonderful. For about a week, maybe a month, a new league is the *most* fun I have playing PoE. Sadly, after that, the new leagues feel pretty much like the standard league, whereby keeping up with the Jones' requires some combination of time sink, trading and/or RMT. The thought of a SFL, where I am able to continue to compete and compare with the community, but without the drudgery of trading (etc) fills me with great excitement.

3. A SFL encourages players to explore the skill tree
PoE is predominantly about gear. In a SFL, players will have to build around what they find, not what they want to trade for. It will force players to build around their drops. Suddenly people find a decent rare or a mid-tier unique which, in any other league, would rot in their stash or become vendor trash, and they will build around it to develop their own long term progress. This sounds super fun to me.

4. Playing self-found in a normal league is not the same as a SFL
I do not believe playing self found by yourself on a regular league is anything like playing in a SFL. The reason is that the desire to compete and compare in online games and within online communities is central to most players' enjoyment of playing an online game like PoE. It is my belief that playing self found within a trading league is far less rewarding or fulfilling as a game experience than playing in a proper SFL.

5. Fears of splitting the community are not a sound reason not to implement an otherwise good idea
If this is the fundamental fear of a SFL, then it is the wrong reason not to implement one in my view. A SFL league provides a tangibly different gaming experience, in a similar way that HC provides a different gaming experience to SC. Progress is progress - if SFL is a good idea then it will succeed. I believe GGG are vastly underestimating the potential interest in a SFL, particularly from non-PoE players and retired PoE players. Why is it not worth at least testing a SFL, let's say a month or two into the new 4 month leagues when player interest starts to wane, or between 4 month leagues?

Here is some data supporting the player base's desire for an optional SFL:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/859786

Petrov.
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jan 10, 2015, 8:53:40 AM
Give me the $5000 and I will make the league for you, I promise.

I accept PayPal.
Are you Chris in disguise?

P.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
Are you Chris in disguise?

P.

For a brief moment you just freaked me out! my name is Chris too :D
Wait why can't you just select any league you want, then not trade with anyone?
Whats wrong with playing D3? Its completely self found. Or you know, just dont trade in POE, then its all "self found" too.
"
MaptSoul wrote:
Forum pvp
I thought the point was clear in that SFL thread. Everyone was saying that the intention of the SFL league was pure and sincere until we read 'slightly increased drop rate'.

Seriously to hell man. The motive is just about an easier game. With that, everyone including me will migrate there since it is easier to play.
"
MaptSoul wrote:

If you can't wrap your brain around why that is a stupid argument, you may want to leave in silence.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Deadpeng wrote:

Seriously to hell man. The motive is just about an easier game.

Nothing is EASIER than to farm Dominus for hours, collecting chaos' and buy what you want, when you want. Isn't THAT easier than to farm for weeks WITHOUT upgrades?

A SF players is OK with NOT having the option to buy what you want, when you want. How that is easier - even WITH "slightly" increased drop rates, is beyond me.

Maybe you can answer?

Two scenarios:

1) Farming Dominus for a week - gathering chaos - then hit the shop
2) Farming Dominus for a week - gathering gear - then look in your inventory?

What's the EASIEST way of progressing?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info