Community Question: Why are you playing Standard?

If leveling uniques make it too easy, maybe just stop using them? I feel there's loads of ways to increase the interest and difficulty of leveling. It requires some self control though.

Regarding the original post, I play whichever league that suits the type of challenge I'm looking for at any particular moment. No real preference.
Well the only reason I'd play in standard is to combine league specific uniques that were cheap in their day but super expensive to buy in a temp league. Right now, I'm using Talasio's Sign and Dark Seer. They are quite hilarious together.

Also using Talasio's Sign with the Harvest. Freeze errrything all day.

Now my poe mission is to secure a Scold's Bridle before those start to cost 60exalt a piece
I did a few temp leagues but recently they have been fairly underwhelming as far as what they offer mechanic wise.
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Rafurion wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would play temporary leagues knowing that it will reset and merge with main leagues.

Personally, it's because I like roguelikes and I view ARPGs as extended roguelikes, not as "thin" MMOs. I don't care about collecting level 100 characters like trophies to place on a mantle. The game to me is making the character, and 3 months is plenty of time to make a character and experiment on it.

If anything, I wish GGG would focus more on making the early game require thought. They kinda screwed the pooch by introducing ludicrously strong "leveling uniques" and also ramping the difficulty way too slowly.

I mean, I usually get to the end of A3 normal before I feel like I need to place a single skill point, and I usually get to A1 merciless before I start to feel like I need to start paying attention to my gear (specifically flasks and resists). That's... way too slow.

This, this and this. Standard is fun to play for extended time period (when you want to reach that 90+, or so on). But creating the character, optimizing your gear, skill tree and so on is the main fun. Too bad it only starts at level 50+ : (

"
If leveling uniques make it too easy, maybe just stop using them? I feel there's loads of ways to increase the interest and difficulty of leveling. It requires some self control though.

Regarding the original post, I play whichever league that suits the type of challenge I'm looking for at any particular moment. No real preference.

Game devs are the ones which makes the game hard. Not the players. Players are trying to make the game as easy as possible. (some even try doing so on the forums, ah lelz. "PLS NO NERFERINO GGG, WHY ONLY NARF AND NARF!" Ayyyyy lmao) That is how you play the game - to win.

AND TO ANSWER OP's thread question: I think the best answer, if anyone ever asks you why you play league X is "cuz". Everyone have their own reasons to play league they chose. These reasons may change, and thus leagues may change, too!
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Feb 23, 2015, 2:07:04 AM
Mostly because I don't feel like starting over from nothing every 4 months. I worked for all this shit I've collected, I want to be able to use it.
"
Perq wrote:

This, this and this. Standard is fun to play for extended time period (when you want to reach that 90+, or so on). But creating the character, optimizing your gear, skill tree and so on is the main fun. Too bad it only starts at level 50+ : (

If you are referring to starting out from scratch, then yea, there will be players out there that likes playing in temporary leagues for the challenge(s), letting RNG decide on your first build for the most part, and the...........economy. While, I may not have any issue with starting out a fresh economy, and facing new challenges, the idea of starting out from scratch has left me with a bitter experience. This dates back to all the way in Anarchy league, when I wanted to try out the temporary leagues. At that point, I already had some foundation in the permanent league to start out new characters, but I wanted to try out the temporary league.

I came to realization since the start of Open Beta, that starting out from scratch was a royal pain in the arse, and merciless made it apparent for me that your first character is always going to have a hard time (with the exception of having tremendous luck). I was fully aware of it, and I knew I was expecting a lot of mistakes made vias gears and tree. Getting over the hurdle is not an issue, but getting over the hurdle every few months......is an issue. Knowing that I will face the possibility of my first character having to go through this cycle is troublesome enough for me to lose interest in the temporary league. I do not have the luxury, and I do not want to stress myself out from a game. I am suppose to have fun, not get the same feeling I get from other stuff in real life. I already have enough things to deal with outside of the game, and not just have PoE bring it all out of the surface. Luckily, it is just an option, so if players like to start all over again many times, more power to them.

Now in the case in making new characters, that is possible in any league. The only difference is that I gimp the character from the start and have the build planned out along with the end-game gears all prepared when that character reaches the level when it can wear all of it. I been doing this for years, and I always learn something new from each character I make. At the same time, my adventure to end-game is slightly different. I do not always encounter the same, and RNG tends to either favor me or not, with each character made. I have a blast with this. Also, it is a good way for me to deal with the map burnout without having to take a break from the game. Of course, I will eventually take a break from the game, so I can be fresh for act 4 and tie up some loose ends in real life.

I know there are players out there that are one-hit wonder sticking to one character, and cannot fathom playing +2k hours on a single character without collectively played a good amount of characters from other characters. Then of course, there are players like me that has more than a dozen characters gimped up (different builds to have different perspective of the game) to play them when they want to. I am already 2/3 into the default character slots I am allowed to have without purchasing more character slots. In a sense, I got like 7/8 more builds to go before I am full. I might make 2 or 3 more builds when act 4 comes out depending how many new skill gems and unique items come out that catches my interest and inspire me to make new builds.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

I came to realization since the start of Open Beta, that starting out from scratch was a royal pain in the arse, and merciless made it apparent for me that your first character is always going to have a hard time (with the exception of having tremendous luck). I was fully aware of it, and I knew I was expecting a lot of mistakes made vias gears and tree. Getting over the hurdle is not an issue, but getting over the hurdle every few months......is an issue. Knowing that I will face the possibility of my first character having to go through this cycle is troublesome enough for me to lose interest in the temporary league. I do not have the luxury, and I do not want to stress myself out from a game. I am suppose to have fun, not get the same feeling I get from other stuff in real life. I already have enough things to deal with outside of the game, and not just have PoE bring it all out of the surface.

I have to disagree with this. :V
The most important thing you will ever get from those first, screwed characters is knowledge. And believe me, I fucked up MANY characters. : D
For me, starting from scratch is not hard anymore - getting new gear, as I go, not really missing anything.
Not saying that you are bad at the game, but I think there might be something you are missing, still. But if you find it to be frustrating, you sure shouldn't be playing it. As I said, everyone have their own reasons to play the game, and nobody should ever apply their own reasons for others. Yes, I'm talking about you "UR A STONDORD PUSSEY, HUHUHUHUH" guys. (I'm talking about those, who are serious about it).
"
Perq wrote:

I have to disagree with this. :V
The most important thing you will ever get from those first, screwed characters is knowledge. And believe me, I fucked up MANY characters. : D
For me, starting from scratch is not hard anymore - getting new gear, as I go, not really missing anything.
Not saying that you are bad at the game, but I think there might be something you are missing, still. But if you find it to be frustrating, you sure shouldn't be playing it. As I said, everyone have their own reasons to play the game, and nobody should ever apply their own reasons for others. Yes, I'm talking about you "UR A STONDORD PUSSEY, HUHUHUHUH" guys. (I'm talking about those, who are serious about it).

The knowledge I got out of my first screwed character is that permanent Standard league was meant to be for me. Which adds to your point that if I find it frustrating, I should stop playing it, and right now it has been almost two years since Anarchy league (quit around the first month of it), the last temporary league I played in, and the time will continue to grow. :P
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Feb 23, 2015, 2:30:48 AM
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:

The knowledge I got out of my first screwed character is that permanent Standard league was meant to be for me. Which adds to your point that if I find it frustrating, I should stop playing it, and right now it has been almost two years since Anarchy league (quit around the first month of it), the last temporary league I played in, and the time will continue to grow. :P

<fanboi mode>
This is what I love about PoE - there are so many things to do, so many ways to enjoy the game, I can't really think off any other game, which offers that many. To list ones I have noticed so far:
- Standard trade-core, crazy end-game builds and perfect items,
- Challenge leagues, some people play SC for the efficient builds, but with new economy, HC for safer builds, but without god-like items. Some people play for challenges, some people play for fresh economy, some people play for their own achievements (I'M GONNA GET YOU VALAKO'S SIGN, I F**** WILL, ARRGHGGHHGGHHH!)
- Race seasons
- PvP
- Heck, some people even play to play around with hideouts! :D
</fanboi mode>

Altho, I hope we will finally see some QoL's... : <
"
Perq wrote:
(I'M GONNA GET YOU VALAKO'S SIGN, I F**** WILL, ARRGHGGHHGGHHH!)

You and I are on the same quest, then. Just last night, an orange Topaz Ring dropped for me... But it was not Valako's, just a

Oh well, next time!
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info