Community Question: Why are you playing Standard?

1) Temp leagues involve re-doing a lot of boring shit like leveling 0-40 and leveling masters
2) Your wealth effectively resets to zero
3) You gain nothing by playing in temp leagues except getting to beta test a new league-specific mechanic
4) If you're not prepared to invest a HUGE amount of time in the first two weeks, you will fall way behind the wealth/power curve.
5) Challenges are only achievable if you nolife it for 3 months.

I just don't see the point. I could see it maybe for hardcore, just because nobody plays regular HC.

Standard has a more stable economy, you can play at your own pace, and you can avoid a lot of boring crap. That's why I play Standard.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Feb 21, 2015, 5:17:35 PM
This was a very interesting read =) , was fun to see people's likes and dislikes about the new leagues.

I wish hardcore was a bit more active , i play almost only hardcore temporary leagues , but if hardcore would have been more active i guess me and my friends would have played a bit more there this league around.

Thx for staying constructive and only 1 hater post is amazing =)
Because killing ghosts is boring shit
IGN:WitchSummonerz
+1 for a big group of players who often seem silent coming out and defending their desire to have fun in their own way.

I like standard for permanence of wealth and characters - I enjoy building characters up and like them to stay that way. I do understand the appeal of temporary leagues and I'm glad they exist as options to keep the player base excited, but they aren't my thing. I do not understand the unjustified, uncalled-for contempt that certain players in those leagues dish out to standard players when they happen to have a disagreement.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.

I started out playing Standard one year, three months ago. I had a pretty fun time, I play a semi-self found play style. Me and my friend play together, and we swap items a lot - occasionally, we buy items with currency we have found. We don't tend to sell things - use 'em, vendor 'em, or stash 'em.

We started playing leagues when Ambush began because a third friend of ours made the switch first. I've been playing Leagues ever since because it offers a reset to it all, economy, items in the system, characters.

I enjoy playing a lot of new concepts, and do enjoy the little quirks leagues bring to spice things up. However, I would probably transfer back to Standard if I could at this point. I'm enjoying the game purely on my own time, while my friend plays very little at this point in Torment.

Next league, when Act 4 releases, I may just end up staying Standard. All depends on the new league's Unique's and gimmick.
"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
"
Etherfire wrote:
I have barely any time to play. Nor do I have the inclination to build up wealth in a new league. In standard I'm free to play at my own pace, along with the rest of my guildies. Also, good gear is not hard to come by, even though the top gear is exorbitantly expensive.

+1
Toys.... But also the same reason I don't race the unique items that are exclusive are shit... I miss the bereks rings.... And it takes too many chances to get them. But unique items of torment and bloodlines are awful.
"
C0Y0T3_SLY wrote:
Mostly because the idea of playing through the entire game three more freaking times to get to the interesting parts makes me want to smash my head into the wall . one that enough times now, thanks. Just let me play the real game.

If this was an mmo, where Its all about endgame, I'd agree with you. However, for me, I find that leveling new characters is the most fun part of the game. Especially finding the most efficient way to level for each char. The boring part, Imo, is when you get to maps, and have nothing to do but roll maps and do master quests. I hope act 4 introduces more end game potential.

I doubt they would do this, but i think one of the problems with endgame, is that you end up playing the same 76-78 maps over and over. I would love to see them untie maps from specific levels, so any map can be any level (with ofcourse higher level maps more rare). It would be awesome to pLay a 78 mountain ledge lol.

One more thing, to the people saying they won't play bloodlines due to desync/freezes. I've played over 500 hours so far, all hardcore/HC temp league. Never have I died to desync. Just don't make glass cannons and you will be fine. Although maybe some of you have bad connections, I'm always at 40-50 ping. I've died 2 times so far in bloodlines, none of which desync had anything to do with...

RIP 1: lvl 86 SRS witch, 6 days into league. Running a temple map, decided to fight piety. killed in less than 1 second by her lightning storm. I didn't know it was half phys half lightning, only phys mitigation I had was arctic armor.

RIP 2: Lvl 84 KB shadow. Clearing a gorge map as fast as possible. I came across a p-link pack of puncture dogs with "powerful crits". This really slowed me down, I should have just skipped them. I started kiting them around, picking em off 1 at a time. I used up both of my hp/Bleed pots while kiting. Then with only 4 left, one hit me with a puncture crit that took half of my 5500 hp. I then bled out in less than a second, rip.
My first long term character was in Domination. After the league ended, I started anew on Ambush. I quickly realized that I don't have the time or interest to gather all the gear and gems again each time the leagues reset. The masters put another nail in that coffin.

This isn't even a SC vs HC issue for me. If I ever started HC, I'd start on the permanent league.
"
Rafurion wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would play temporary leagues knowing that it will reset and merge with main leagues.

Personally, it's because I like roguelikes and I view ARPGs as extended roguelikes, not as "thin" MMOs. I don't care about collecting level 100 characters like trophies to place on a mantle. The game to me is making the character, and 3 months is plenty of time to make a character and experiment on it.

If anything, I wish GGG would focus more on making the early game require thought. They kinda screwed the pooch by introducing ludicrously strong "leveling uniques" and also ramping the difficulty way too slowly.

I mean, I usually get to the end of A3 normal before I feel like I need to place a single skill point, and I usually get to A1 merciless before I start to feel like I need to start paying attention to my gear (specifically flasks and resists). That's... way too slow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info