Community Question: Why are you playing Standard?

I have literally never played a temporary league. I have absolutely no desire to start over with nothing over and over again. If I am going to play with my characters on standard anyway then I see no point at all in buying the same stuff again in temporary leagues. I like being able to outfit a build very quickly and even respec old builds into new ones.

I just personally can't find a reason to do it. I'm a long term player, standard is what I want.
Standard Forever
Ah, how much this reminds me of the unwarranted superiority battle.net players used to display towards single-players, but SPF community was one of the strongest I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of.

The times.... Farting Bob making up stories, crazy grail hunts and item bragging.

For those who happen to remember this:

Spoiler
Uber buriza pkownage slow 9 year old fatty guide.

Now let mishelf get intro toy you .
I am most fatty 9 year old big kiddo.I am 200 lbs and on my way becoming 500 .
I pk ownage .

Well i do not write this guide because i dont know to type . My 6 year old brother knows . I promised him big gift he got punches now he types for me.

I am poor kiddo dont have $$$ for wonterfull e-by hackez items .
And i have a life beating other thin children all the time and noobz geeks.I havent got time to play this diabla for years

But with this wonterful giude that i got after i beat other thin noob i became slowazon burrito ownage pk Yea !

Lets start.
Make smarted guy install diabla and loda for you .
Then create ama in softacore.

Now dont even think about playing the game you noob.
Start begging everyone
I need rush i need rush
Go to all channels say you noob and beg for rush and itemz

Now eventually you find a sucker that gonna rush you to normal . Make someone smarter than you write his namez so that you can pikai him after later.

Repeat rinse . After one hour you play hell cowz .
Now never create portals to help this annoying hi levels .
Just tell a story about big bad barb that killed king and you can open .
After 1 hour most you level 75.
You must have 110 stangh and 90 to be readdy for burrito !!
Make sure that until lev 75 you havent fired single arrow for party hlp.
Hey my little brother tries escape . Punch punch punch .
What i find his food . Hlap Hloop i eat it. Few punches to stop crying that noob.

Now leave cowz and fing gamez with high levs .
Cry and beg !!!! I waz hakezed !!!
I waz pooped !!! I waz trade scammed .
Note the game of all the helpfull noobz so that you can pk them later .

After 2 hours i had my wonterfull uber burrito and i immidiatelly ate went to wc punch my brother ate more and put 20 points to "GA GA GA " arrowz !!!

I made wonterfull discovery that BURIZA with GA has coolez "always pircez " property . That means that it hit 5 times instead of one in pk . !!!!!
Cool .
And i know better to get great glovez
Da greena "Claglaw pooncers "
and da Mask da rare Blakthhords !!!

Daz itemez have most wonterfull slow property that cannot be contered .
Enermy becomes BLUE and MOVES very slowez.

These great itemezs equalize Diabla Gamez !!!
De other may have spewnt hundtrets of $$$$ on e-bay or years playing that gamez but everybody becomes blue slowwez and diez easily when used .

Wow !!! Most wonterfulled !!!!

Punch punch my brother and eats more sweets !!!!

Now char guide !!!

Vs funny necro .
Kill him . Difficult !!! You may have to aim necro not minions . Remember to place buriza !! in weapon slot and claglw in gloves slot first .
Remember buy arrowz no no i meant the other kind for BURIZZA !!!!!

Use GA . Make him blue and he dies .

Warnez !!!! Some of these funny necra play for yearez !!! If they leave game and come back with 99 char stay in town and spam that they are ith !!! if barb , occulus ring user if sorca and ith bowz if ama !!! . Dont engage them just spam !!!! them.

Druid !!!

Spare the life of elemental druidz !!!
It is wierd and funny to find these noobs in hell.

Other kind just select the GA skill press some button in mouse and they turn blue and die just like necro !!!
Very funny !!!!
Like punching your small brother or putting cockroaches in girlz dresses .
Those idiot gilz that call me fatty .Only if kood punch them too !!

Barbez Buriza buriza and watch da arrows p
Last edited by ZenEnott on Jan 9, 2015, 12:01:56 PM
"
iamstryker wrote:
I have literally never played a temporary league. I have absolutely no desire to start over with nothing over and over again. If I am going to play with my characters on standard anyway then I see no point at all in buying the same stuff again in temporary leagues. I like being able to outfit a build very quickly and even respec old builds into new ones.

I just personally can't find a reason to do it. I'm a long term player, standard is what I want.

Almost the same here. I tried one league one time, and only just to get (at the time) the better life and mana flasks that only dropped in that league. That meant just getting to Docks, farming it for a while, then making a throw-away character or two to mule flasks over to Standard just so I could have the flasks earlier and enjoy them. Other than that, I have never tried any of the temporary leagues and have zero desire to do so.

Definitely never trying any of the HC leagues seriously with the current state of the game in terms of desync and not well-balanced player and monster damage and mechanics. Plus, if I want to try out builds then I'll just simply level up new characters on Standard where I already have plenty of leveling gear and can get more readily available gear to add to stuff I already have. No sense in getting it all over again, and again, and again. That and if the league has interesting mechanics, they get added into the game in one form or another eventually so I can enjoy them on Standard while waiting, which I am fine with. :)
Mostly because the idea of playing through the entire game three more freaking times to get to the interesting parts makes me want to smash my head into the wall . one that enough times now, thanks. Just let me play the real game.
Torment is the first league during which I'm playing standard more than the temp league. 3 reasons:
1) I don't want to make the effort to get the necessary equipment to make my torment characters effective (path of trading).
2) No new interesting content has been added. Ambush league mod was very good, the corrupted zones provided a different leveling experience from the previous league. I had a lot of fun with the rampage league mod as well, and again the masters provided a load of new content as well, making leveling characters different again from last time. Torment has ghosts (meh) and competitive pvp I don't really bother with (totally unsuited for POE and the bugs aren't helping).
3) I can't stand the bland leveling experience enough anymore, even when only 2 playthroughs are required to get to maps thanks to the hideout. The blandness of torment is definitely not helping.

My problem is all my guildies are playing temp league so I'm still trying to get a character with new playstyle (for me), that I have fun playing, to be sturdy enough for maps. I'm leveling my 3rd torment character atm. I didn't like the playstyle of the 1st, 2nd needed too much gear to survive (melee), so I'm leveling a 3rd now and keeping fingers crossed.

Standard is anything but perfect either, I think mostly as a consequence of how broken the economy is. What I miss most in standard is constant public mapping, mid level free maps nearly don't exist, public map groups are scarce, but on the other hand there's enough players since groups fill up very fast when created. Unfortunately I'm not always in the mood for leading a group.
Last edited by RunawayFixer on Jan 9, 2015, 12:28:22 PM
I play Standard for many reasons.

1) I HATE leveling characters. Endgame is THE game for me. It's boring to play through the same game 3 times per character, and new toons are so painfully slow. I have plenty of characters in Standard that I prefer to tweak instead of rerolling every few months, and skill tree resets allow me to change up my builds if I feel like it.

2) Gear. All my gear's in Standard. I don't want to start from scratch when I already have plenty to work with. Sure, there's the fresh economy and league-exclusive items, but I can gain wealth in Standard too, and the exclusive uniques, at least this time around, frankly suck.

3) The Standard economy is stable. Remember when people were freaking out over changing currency ratios as the Elreon meta mod price was altered? Yeah, no freaking out in Standard. Chaos remained at about 32:1, Fuse 40:1, Chromatic 200:1. On top of that, good gear is dirt cheap. Great gear is affordable but requires some saving. Killer gear is available to those who have wealth. And there are legacy items for fun.

4) New leagues don't offer enough of an incentive to leave Standard. The loot goblins in Torment don't interest me (I only play softcore), I'm not at all competitive so I don't care about the ladder, and the likelihood of me completing the necessary challenges to unlock a cool in-game item is slim (although I like the route this league is taking where you unlock something for each challenge you complete).

5) I like high level characters and don't have time in a new league to take a character to where I'd like. In Standard I can play at my own pace.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Crafting is one of my favorite parts of the game. I am only barely starting to get my masters to lvl 8 and the currency I have allows me to attempt crafting certain pieces.

People complain about economy but it's all relative. I personally have the most fun making face rolling builds and trying to craft useful items. The only thing I envy about the temp leagues are how many more people play there but playing solo is so much more efficient, valuable and had less lag so I play solo most of the time.

"
iamstryker wrote:
I have absolutely no desire to start over with nothing over and over again. If I am going to play with my characters on standard anyway then I see no point at all in buying the same stuff again in temporary leagues. I like being able to outfit a build very quickly and even respec old builds into new ones.

I share the same view. The only temporarily league I played was Anarchy league back in OB, and when I started out from scratch, it felt really weird and took a bit too long to get the stuff I wanted in early-game up to mid-game. End-game, I never reached it because first character stinks and I barely had any currency to make a difference to reroll or to upgrade.

My foundation is already established (long time ago) in standard league, so when I want to make a new character, it will not have a hard time in early game, and breeze through everything until cruel dominus, which gets a bit tricky since my mid-game gears are meh (little by little I am making mid-game gear bank, so it can be much easier to make a transition from cruel to merciless without too much issues). End-game gears is already set before I made the character, it is mostly the issue getting end-game from mid-game.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

I don't find anything fun about throwing my progress away every 3-6 months. I tried to play one of the one week races awile back. Got to lioneyes, opened my stash, and remembered I don't have any of the dozens of leveling uniques to put to use that ease the already tedious leveling process. I have several tabs full of rares too that are pretty good and instead of having to sell them to make the most of them they can stay there until I make a character that could use them. I'm not a self found die hard or anything. I do make purcheses for gems and to ease the resistance juggling mini game but its nice to be able to put to use what I find and have all the time in the world to do so. I also don't see getting more xp than someone as an accomplishment so I have zero competitive intrest as well.

I only play the challenge (softcore) leagues. Haven't played standard since the start of OB after the CB wipe and Standard was the only thing available (and was a fresh league).

Overall, I don't care too much about permanence. The game is an ARPG (rogue-lite) to me, not an MMO. Having super strong characters and items isn't nearly as interesting to me as making super strong characters and finding items. I've deleted probably two dozen characters on standard just to reuse their names (and their account character slots) for the new leagues.

The most fun section for me is probably the a3c/a1m to low maps section (levels 40 through 75) where the build stands on its own; not the mindless farming of low/mid maps for ages (75-90), nor the trading-centric high maps (90+), nor the ez-mode race from a1n to a3c (1-40).

As for why I do that on challenge leagues (when I could easily do that on standard), it's about playing the game that GGG is actively supporting. Standard is the trash bin in GGG's eyes. They don't care too much about balance there (because legacies wouldn't exist there if they did), they won't make builds of the week off of characters there, they don't care about the economy there, and so on.

The challenge leagues are the cutting edge of "what GGG thinks the game should be like", so that's where I prefer to be.
Last edited by pneuma on Jan 9, 2015, 3:29:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info