Your thoughts and feelings about Phylacteral Links

If you've enjoyed playing Bloodlines, then you should already have a pretty definitive opinion on this dark topic. Mine goes as follows... I absolutely detest them. With a passion. But not a fiery passion. More of a debilitating passion. They provide me with a joy-sucking event that leaves me depressed for a couple minutes each time I encounter them.

Making enemies invulnerable to damage for minutes on end, is.... beyond words. They get scattered easily. They don't become the damageable target at regular intervals, instead they seem to switch based of how close you get to them and how much damage you deal.

So what happens is: you suddenly stop having fun. Abruptly. You start talking to yourself out loud. You debate skipping the pack altogether but why should you, really? Because someone thought that Phylacteral Links was a great design idea. Someone was convincing enough to make these things a nightmarish reality. Dare I say more?

I, for one, would very much like to know who this mystery person is. I'd like for this individual to raise their hand and say "Yes! Phylacteral Links! Those were my idea!". Not to insult them into oblivion, mind you. I'd just like to hear how on Earth he/she ever thought that that concept could ever be appealing to anyone actually playing the game.

PS. For the challenge of it? I don't buy that for one second.
IGN: Daario__Naharis, Captain__Harlock, Paul__Atreides
Marty__McFly, Silk__Spectre. Kylo__Ren
Last edited by Kid_Galahad on Dec 28, 2014, 9:56:18 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
It is a god awful feature which adds nothing but a sandbag to the gameplay, and it's not challenging nor innovative at all. It's just boring. You just have to track down the single mob that's having the circle around it, kill it and hope that it jumps to the few mobs in the pack that's near you, rather than the x12 other monkeys from the pack that's 5 screens away in a scattered fashion.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1552460 - my drop solution
Specs: CPU - i5 9600k, geforce 2060, 32 gb ram, ssd, 2133/2333 mz.-----
EXILES EVERYWHERE, PLEASE?!?!?!
"
Cergic wrote:
It is a god awful feature which adds nothing but a sandbag to the gameplay, and it's not challenging nor innovative at all. It's just boring. You just have to skip the mobs in question.

I edited your post for maximum truth, you can thank me later

The only time I have bothered to kill these guys is when it is in the way of something I REALLY want to get to. Like a vaal stand or something. Even then it's probably faster to just lure them away then take the loot and go.
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Dec 27, 2014, 6:27:22 PM
I have to say, they can be really annoying but you know what? I actually like them. I like the idea of the fact you are so used to just brainlessly spamming AoE and then all of a sudden you are being blocked by enemies that you can't kill. You can find yourself suddenly in a bad place, unable to get around and it causes you to stop and think for a moment.

That said, they still need to be tweaked. There should be a range limitation on them that forces them to either stay together or the link itself has to stay with the larger pack. It is far too annoying when one of them ends up 5 screens over from the rest of the pack.

Of course, I am in favor of any mechanic that stops people from mindlessly holding right click. This might be a bit too draconian though. I did still enjoy it though.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
I like the idea, it just needs to be fixed. The circle-changing mechanic is unpredictable.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
It's not only annoying as fuck, it's also super dangerous for melee chars. It's terrible. It makes me rage more than desync.

P.S. phallic link devourers are literally worse than Kim Jong Un
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Dec 27, 2014, 7:39:06 PM
I prefer necrovigil. I hate p-link.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
I prefer necrovigil. I hate p-link.

This. Necrovigil makes more sense.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1552460 - my drop solution
Specs: CPU - i5 9600k, geforce 2060, 32 gb ram, ssd, 2133/2333 mz.-----
EXILES EVERYWHERE, PLEASE?!?!?!
PLink is fine for the kind of pack sizes and sparsity you see in Normal. It completely breaks down in maps when you can have the circle flying offscreen among a massive, broken-up blue pack.
P-link struck me as completely un-fun and a real game-flow breaker. Using totems, I just sat around and waited for mobs to eventually die, trying to drop totems on the monsters that currently had the marker. Half the time the spark flew around off-screen, making it even more tedious.

I parked my Bloodlines character at 80, and p-link was part of the reason. No point in playing when every ten minutes you get agitated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info