Sacrifice

"
Juicebox360 wrote:
no, that's a good start! and it definitely makes sense. but that's akin to programming a system without, say, polymorphism or dynamism. like making a game engine that doesn't ever use "entity" classes, rather the direct entities themselves like "mp5" or "spetsnaz agent #242556". and i can't agree with it, because in the end somebody will inevitably disagree with your intended end. like eugenics, we can reach logical conclusions for and by it, but that doesn't mean everyone's going to stand by it.

i admire you for your attempt, and in my heart, i do hope you make progress with it, but i just don't think it'll ever be possible with us humans.

and dirk, try telling that to people inherent with rage and hatred. it's nearly impossible to dispel that spite. i recall talking to a radical feminist once who said it's necessary to extricate the patriarchy. i asked her why not just meet halfway? why not just raise women to the level of man? to which she replied that it must be man who must be lowered to the level of women because "power begets power; in order to have power, one must first take it from those in power."

Sadly the extremists give everyone else a bad name. be it muslims or feminists or christians or whoever. Its always the extreme ones that are loud and obnoxious and cause trouble. Oh well, people will always find a reason to hate rather than to love.
"
SkyCore wrote:
Morality free of bias is absolutely a real possibility. The goals just need to be precisely defined. You can agree or disagree with the goals, but the moral framework will remain 'objective' in a sense so long as it can be applied unilaterally.

Bias is very much in our nature. Comes with having evolved in an environment wich favoured quick judgment calls over objective analysis (of wich there were no tools for at the time). You would basicly have to retrofit most of the human race with new behaviour "software".
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
"
Upandatem wrote:
"
SkyCore wrote:
Morality free of bias is absolutely a real possibility. The goals just need to be precisely defined. You can agree or disagree with the goals, but the moral framework will remain 'objective' in a sense so long as it can be applied unilaterally.

Bias is very much in our nature. Comes with having evolved in an environment wich favoured quick judgment calls over objective analysis (of wich there were no tools for at the time). You would basicly have to retrofit most of the human race with new behaviour "software".

maybe with transhumanism homo sapiens will finally be able to divert from aeons of progress. whether or not this emancipation will be beneficial for us is another story though
"
Upandatem wrote:

Bias is very much in our nature. Comes with having evolved in an environment wich favoured quick judgment calls over objective analysis (of wich there were no tools for at the time).

You could view objective analysis as a technology. Only really gaining much advancement in the last 100 years or so. You can also view tradition and conformity as buffers(in the chemical sense) retarding that technology.

"
Upandatem wrote:

You would basicly have to retrofit most of the human race with new behaviour "software".

Easier than it might seem ill wager. TV.
I doubt few people on the planet truly realize how massively impactful mass media is on personal identity and behavior.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Jan 10, 2015, 4:44:42 PM
So check one item off my list. And the most important of the bunch. Morality; http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1206854/page/1

Its kind of funny, i wasnt even actively searching it out anymore. Fate? Perhaps... but nah. Just a little something bubbling around in the back of my mind. And pure luck that i stumbled across something which my brains pattern recognition pinged on.

As for the rest of my original list, they seem trivial now. So instead i will focus more on AI architecture. But even if i never accomplish anything more in my life, i will feel satisfied that i have contributed to mankind. Even if noone else recognizes it.

In high school i once got into an argument with a fellow student about which band played a song i was singing to myself. A friend asked me, 'would you rather be right, or have everyone believe i was right?'.
I would rather be right. For it is only through truth that we can achieve a greater understanding of the world in order to better it.
Influence and power may go a long way in the social world. But no amount of influence alone can advance technology.

p.s.
We were both right about the band. 2 different bands played the same song.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Feb 28, 2015, 4:29:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info