How do they do it?

Greetings Path of Exile community,

I just started playing this game, with the torment league. To help familiarize myself with all the mechanics I enjoy watching different streamers play the game in various difficulties. As of yet, all seems good for the exception of one thing; knowing what items are good and how to price them.

I saw a fellow stream last night and he was identifying rares and was like ''Oh nice, I can sell this for 20 Chaos Orbs'' and ''Guys, look at this necklace, I can surely get 2 Exalted Orbs from this for sure''.

I keep telling myself, ''Oh shit, I just trashed something similar to this to the vendor''.

So this is my question: Is there somewhere out there, a guide, a rulebook, a tutorial..SOMETHING, to help out new players like me who are probably passing great opportunities to make nice currency.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

P.S: The last game I played was D3, where the economy didn't really exist in my opinion, trading wasn't actually a thing and the economy was lacking components, playing PoE is a wake up call to a real economy which I am not familiar with.

In short: No

Also, if you think an item is "worth" the same only because its similar you are wrong, its usually not.

And also welcome to POE, the latest in economy simulator technology...oh wait...

Well, have fun playing the game, either may that be the monster slaying game or the trading game.
The only way to estimate the prices of rares is to closely follow the market, all the time. I'm playing this game for about two years and if you asked me to valuate an item, I wouldnt have a clue, cause I dont follow the economeh.

Estimating the value of uniques is much easier, just go to poe.trade, check the average price for your league and round down.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Dec 21, 2014, 10:48:00 AM
I'm afraid there is no such thing as a tutorial.
If I were you, I'd rather enjoy the game than try to fathom what a rare might be worth.

A rule of thumb, but really nothing more:
If it has 2 or more resists (30+%) + one other desirable mod (item rarity, cast speed, physical damage) it's worth something. But what, I don't know. I hardly ever trade.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
If you are no streamer yourself you will never get the same amount of currency for the same item, because you lack the "we support our hero" fanboy buyers.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
Greetings Path of Exile community,

I just started playing this game, with the torment league. To help familiarize myself with all the mechanics I enjoy watching different streamers play the game in various difficulties. As of yet, all seems good for the exception of one thing; knowing what items are good and how to price them.

I saw a fellow stream last night and he was identifying rares and was like ''Oh nice, I can sell this for 20 Chaos Orbs'' and ''Guys, look at this necklace, I can surely get 2 Exalted Orbs from this for sure''.

I keep telling myself, ''Oh shit, I just trashed something similar to this to the vendor''.

So this is my question: Is there somewhere out there, a guide, a rulebook, a tutorial..SOMETHING, to help out new players like me who are probably passing great opportunities to make nice currency.

Thanks for the help,

Cheers,

P.S: The last game I played was D3, where the economy didn't really exist in my opinion, trading wasn't actually a thing and the economy was lacking components, playing PoE is a wake up call to a real economy which I am not familiar with.

http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data -->

http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/prefixmod

http://www.pathofexile.com/item-data/suffixmod

Those are all the rolls possible. Does your Item has several of the high tier rolls? Its worth something to someone quite probably. After some time you know which mods are which roll, so you get a feeling for it.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158669

Cyclone MARA Beginners and Advanced Guide.
You need to be familiar with which mods are good in the current meta.

Pretty sure rolling armour/evasion/energy shield is not really good still, and life is still awesome, physical damage is still awesome, resists is awesome etc.

In the previous meta, bows with high crit chance and high physical damage would sell for pretty well.

Then you need to know if the mods fit together well.

For example, you do not want a wand with spell damage and physical damage. It'll be hard to justify a high price unless it would fit a build that uses both, and the rolls better be very good. A sword with ele damage and physical damage? Straightaway almost vendor trash.

Then you need to know the highest tier rolls of the mods. Having 20% resists on the explicit part of a resist ring (below the line) would not really warrant a good price on that ring, unless somehow the total resists on the ring is still high enough to justify. Neither would having 6-9 bonus damage on a dagger be useful, even if its all physical damage mods on its prefixes.

Then you also need to know the demand on the market. What items can sell pretty well? Uniques are easy, usually the top rolls of well used uniques sell pretty fast. Elemental wands with mid tier rolls at around lvl65? Think twice, there's Piscator's Vigil for merely an ex or 2. Daggers? in 1.2 you couldn't get enough of them. Swords/Axes? Nobody wanted them in 1.2, it'll be hard to sell it if its roll weren't close to perfect (highest tiers with good combination).

If you want the tl;dr, version. It's "No, you need a lot of investment into this game".
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info