Anyone playing via satellite internet connection

Hi, I have tried to find information about whether it is possible to play POE via a satellite connection, I am aware that the issues surrounding Latency are a problem but does anyone successfully play POE in this way, is it still playable with the latency being high?

Thanks
Last bumped on Feb 1, 2017, 7:01:13 PM
This is an old post but I thought it important enough to answer since it hasn't had a reply and I have a satellite connection and questions about this as well.

My latency is around .7 to .75 s. I have played the game with a reliable cable connection as well, so I can contrast the differences.

Desynch is about the same either way, though the new expansion may fix that, possible to the detriment of satellite users because the latency will be felt with more actions (?)

The most noticeable difference with latency is in selecting objects from inventory/using orbs. The full latency has needs occur between the mouse-click and the selection/usage. This was almost enough to turn me away but I got used to it.

A character that requires precision targeting and quick reaction to the environment is very difficult to play. A character that can spam non-targeted attacks seems to be a necessity. I'm interested in suggestions (perhaps Ethereal Knives). It seems almost unthinkable to try to level a noob character to maps at this point.

I play a level 80 spark witch with skeleton and zombie minions. It is effective, I am currently working on survivability in 74+ maps. I don't feel cheated in death more often than when I wasn't playing satellite. Spark is a perfect skill for satellite, the skeletons and zombies take care of themselves, provide defense, and more importantly are handled server-side without latency. Curses and totems have the latency delay before taking effect. You get used to some downsides, or not.

I tried another character who used fire trap, storm call, and freezing pulse. Trapping is a bad skill choice as it feels latency. Without minions I ended up getting killed to attacks too frequently because of being unable to synchronize with the movements of fast enemies. Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by simballine on May 1, 2015, 11:56:34 PM
I have satellite internet and i play HC usually hit 75-85 consistently before death.
Best builds for my connection have been, in order SRS, Flame totems, Sparker, essence drain, tornado shot.

I usually run between 250-1500 ms latency, but as posted above is only realy felt when picking up items ie. stashing and trading. That dose not mean, its not a problem i pay for an 8 mb connection (80$/mo!!!) Every time i died its usually dumb and or lag.
If the weather is bad its Friday or Saturday night i just dont play or if my family is on there computers Net-flicks you-tube etc.

Maby i should switch to SC but i just cant bring my self to do it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info