Sreiously whats point of no free respects?

Rather than free respec I would actually buff orb of Regret to give 3 respect points :D That would solve a lot of problems imo.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Intended to help focus you on planning out your build.
There are plenty of tools here and elsewhere to help educate you in proper skill builds.

Free respecs are neither needed or wanted.
I've been wondering if a full re-spec MTX would be a good or bad thing for the game. I would love to make some significant changes to several of my builds, to the tune of an ass-ton of regret orbs.

I'd love to be able to buy a full respec from the shop but I understand that without some kind of limitation (how often, etc.) it could pose problems.

Regret orbs would likely lose all value, but how impacting are those to the economy overall?

Would that be "Pay to Win" somehow?
"
respwnd wrote:
I've been wondering if a full re-spec MTX would be a good or bad thing for the game. I would love to make some significant changes to several of my builds, to the tune of an ass-ton of regret orbs.

I'd love to be able to buy a full respec from the shop but I understand that without some kind of limitation (how often, etc.) it could pose problems.

Regret orbs would likely lose all value, but how impacting are those to the economy overall?

Would that be "Pay to Win" somehow?

Having anything in the shop that 'directly' affects gameplay would be considered pay to win. Being able to alter a build with money, when someone else has to relevel because they can't afford it, is pay to win.

Testing out various builds is a huge part of the game and you should always try to have a plan in mind once you start.
I feel like they are handing respecs way too often imo.

None of my builds followed their planned tree from the start to the end because i adapted the tree to manage the weak points of the build as i leveled and saw those weak points.
It's really an interesting experience and i think it's a valid reason to keep the current system.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
"
Mannoth wrote:

None of my builds followed their planned tree from the start to the end because i adapted the tree to manage the weak points of the build as i leveled and saw those weak points.
It's really an interesting experience and i think it's a valid reason to keep the current system.

I feel the same way.

---

The characters that I've leveled organically always ended up being my strongest and most respected characters. The ones that I've planned out in a build planner after a respec just feel too hollow.

My argument way in the past before respecs or bandit swaps were even in the game at all was that the leveling process should permanently affect the character in some way. Every assigned skill point and every exclusive quest reward was a mark or scar on the character that they would wear until the day they died. And one day you eventually put the character down to start on something new and you could look back and remember where you were (mentally and actually) as you took each skill point and made each decision.

It's a powerful feeling, and it's what makes people really get into their characters. After major patches, I also have little desire to try and fit my old characters into the new world. They aged in different circumstances -- it would be as weird as time traveling into the past and bringing back a medival Knight-Errant into modern times, giving him a cell phone and a job as a sales assistant and saying "good luck".

A world with no respecs or heavily limited respecs is one where your characters are mortal.

---

In contrast, the "free respec" world is the ultimate in character permanence, in some sense. You only need to make one character, ever, and that one character can be all characters and all things at the drop of a hat.

Every change to the game world (new uniques, new keystones/notables/tree paths, new enemy encounters, new skills/supports) can be apprised and accounted for instantly. The biggest problem with this is that people invariably take their old knowledge gained from a previous time and try to transform and apply it to the new time, often to bad effect.

Every new item you get can radically transform what your character is about. "Oh, a Shav's dropped? Fuck this cyclone shit, we're casting now, baby!" It reeks of meta-game, and it ensures that at no point does anyone actually have to invest mental effort into solving the puzzles of the game world. If you run into a challenge that your build cannot handle... just respec into a build that can handle it, then respec back afterward.

This shows up strongly in "level as X, then respec into this build at Y". Some of the things that are extremely strong in this game would actually be much more balanced if people had to suffer 70 levels of something suboptimal in order to unlock the strong thing at the end, crit most notably. Instead it's just "flameblast your way to maps, then respec into your actual build", which in effect, throws away 99% of the game's content and challenge.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 19, 2014, 4:22:20 PM
In many ways I agree with you.

On the other hand, one of my accounts is maxed on slots and the other is well on it's way.
(did they just change that in 1.3? Is it unlimited now??)

How many times do I need to run yet another character all the way through Merc just to see if I like a particular build that I am curious to try or see how well a combination of gear that I am not spec'd into works. To me, THAT is boring as hell. If I could go low life on a build I already know I enjoy, I'd like to be able to try that without dragging ass all the way through again.

I'd be down for an alternative, like a sandbox mode that lets me see how things work out. I've paid my dues many times over. I've supported a a really good game. I'd like to try things I haven't tried before.

edited for sentence completion.
Last edited by respwnd on Dec 19, 2014, 4:31:35 PM
"
Mannoth wrote:

That because GGG are making too many changes to the tree that is physically breaking your tree. It is a given that free respec are handed out, otherwise your build is unplayable. Now for builds that have the tree still intact, you are given the OPTION to full respec, but you do not have to respec.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
This shows up strongly in "level as X, then respec into this build at Y". Some of the things that are extremely strong in this game would actually be much more balanced if people had to suffer 70 levels of something suboptimal in order to unlock the strong thing at the end, crit most notably. Instead it's just "flameblast your way to maps, then respec into your actual build", which in effect, throws away 99% of the game's content and challenge.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I reroll too when given opportunity. But gap is too long. Like 4 months. Should be 1 week. Because after a week build is boring to me.

To YOU. End of story.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info