One Shot to rule them all mechanics is abit frustrating *Softcore*

Hey,

The following is just my personal perspective and a thing that causes dissatisfactin in PoE atm. Im a Softcore person so this does not apply 100% to Hardcore aspects.

Main problem I have is that the game has evolved from being "defensive" to "too offensive". People play to almost 95 in a week now when earlier it took months to get there.

The fact that Crit was nerfed in 1.30 only shows that the dps numbers are getting out of hand - and even after the nerf we are - in my opinion - in almost a situation where there is no turning back. The nerfs would need to be too severe to balance the game.

Howver, nerf is always not the only option there is to balance game. I have some ideas that might help.

1) Directly increase mob hp and damage. An increase of 200% monster Life and 35% increase in damage would make people:
a) Work harder to kill mobs.
b) Build defensively again since you need to survive the Base damage multipliers of mobs. By this I mean that it just simply doesnt do always that you implement some Spike damage mechanics into game and except that people will start playing defensively again. That only kills HC players and does nothing else.

Maybe just the increase in HP would suffice since - the more time you have to spend killing mob the more lethal it gets overtime since you take more damage in total / mob.

2) Make new difficulty levels like additional player levels. To be honest I came to think this from Diablo 2 and 3 that have these "additional difficulty" level mechanics. Some like Dark Souls and Torchlight have "New game+" that is similar to what I aim at.

This change would make it simple to give players new levels of difficulty to achieve/to play on at. Maybe just add experience/loot boost when you raise difficulty from say 1 to 10.

i wrote this just cause I feel disappointed on the direction PoE is heading. One Shot mechanics just make this game a boring with one type of gameplaystyle - max deeps.

Best
cudez
Who Are We? Where do we come from?
Last edited by Cudez on Dec 18, 2014, 1:30:57 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
1. I agree. You have my vote. +1
2. Definitely no. It will increase the wealth gap between rich and poor.
Short anwser: NO
Long anwser: NOOOOOOOO

But seriously.

1. Softcore... all semblance of balance fails here already. Not only does it matter less if you die in SC, its also overinflated with items, the whole tempo is different. What is considered mediocre in SC can be considered top tier in leagues and insane in races. So someone talking from the SC perspective about balance changes is hillarious.

2. One shot mechanics are an issue. But its an issue because you get one shot so easy. Honestly, i would rather have the damage of monsters (phys autoattack damage) reduced across the board by 5% but their attack speed increased by the same ammount to compensate.

Right now, the monsters hit like trucks especially in higher level maps, so even high armor characters cant really tank hits. And in my opinion after the block nerfs, and with items that reflect damage back a faster attack speed on monsters might even be usefull in opening new builds. Small change tough, not something like 20% increase.

3. Increasing mob hp? They are already hp sponges if you are not crit or have exceptional gear. Casters suffer most from beeing tied to gemlevel. Weapon dependant builds can craft things easyer. But increasing mob hp now would force the metagame even more into a hole. Especially when you are mapping, if you wont have all out dps spec people you will slow down a whole lot with increased hp.

Also welcome to this genre, you seem new to it.
I have to admit you surprised me, I didn't expect this topic to be about players one-shotting mobs. Thought it was going to be the other way around
Increasing mob damage would force people to focus on the wrong type of survivability. Specifically, not being near wherever the mob is hitting. The opposite actually needs to happen. Mob damage, especially chaos and elemental for bosses, needs to be toned down and made less spikey, along with lower caps on resists, avoidance, and armor for players and lower resist stats on gear. All that would make players less likely to get one-shot, making them more willing to take risks. It would allow for a greater variety of builds, more freedom in gearing, and fights that are more about tactics than RNG. Especially given how armor works.

Boosting mob HP would also be bad. Sure, it would mean a longer fight, which means more risk of something going wrong, and therefore players might want some more defense. But what it also means is that builds that are currently viable would no longer be so. People would feel forced to play a smaller selection of builds. Items that used to be considered viable would no longer be so. The better way to achieve the same goal is to reign in the overpowered things, to bring things back into line with the intent. Of course, powers that are too weak (*coughShockNovacough*) should be buffed at the same time, because the devs would, of course, be interested in obtaining balance and variety, rather than just nerfing whatever kills their precious loot pinatas too easily ;)

And if you are thinking "well, just buff all that", just stop. That's a ton more work, a ton more risk of new balance issues, and ultimately achieves the same thing as just nerfing the problem children.

So basically:
1. Nerf mob damage and player survivability rather than boosting mob damage.
2. Nerf the offensively overpowered stuff (and buff the weak-sauce stuff if the devs are actually interested in balance) rather than boosting mob hp.
Last edited by Mudpony on Dec 18, 2014, 5:27:54 AM
Past 2 patches they have been trying to shift it from Balanced defences-Balanced offence to FUCK ALL DEFENCES-MORE DEEEPZ, I have lost a substantial amount of defences, life% which was nerfed several times for no apparent reason, ES, Armor(being absolutely useless as shit in burst damage situations), at 1.3 they have nerfed crit soooo bad, so for players to catch up on the lost DPS, we're forced to drop MORE defence as well just to get back on course. hell even the new potions aren't a buff to players, they're there for us to spam it because as we try to facetank we're not leeching at a fast enough rate because of the "fixed" leech mechanics.

So with all these changes that leads players into investing more and more into offence and dropping defence in an all time low, doesn't really suprise me to know that everything's One-shot to rule them all is the #1 rule, because if you don't 1 shot the enemy, with your subzero defences, its you who will get 1 shot for sure :P
"Get rich or die grinding"

Lvl 100 Ascendant - RadioactiveSago: HIGHEST KB tooltiplordz in all of PoE (view-thread/1636451)
Lvl 100 Assassin - Chonkeyy: Omnislasher 2 mil DPS Flicker Build (view-thread/1571744)
Disagree on all accounts. I play perma SC precisely so I can use my accumulated wealth to make ever more powerful chars with only the bare minimum defenses to not die every 5 mins.

Leveling past 90 is still a massive time investment, you can't balance the leveling speed around the most hardcore nolifers without screwing over the majority of "middle ground" players who are nowhere near the mark you mentioned.

What we do need is more challenging, higher level content instead of the same two lvl 78 maps - which hopefully Act 4 will provide.
Shop closed until further notice. Check out my Dominus musical tribute instead:
https://soundcloud.com/hackproducer0815/dominus
Well, I disagree.

It is really not relevant that some people level to 95 in a week, because the conditions under which they achieve this are not at all representative of the average player's situation. This is only accomplished by playing in parties, receiving free stuff (maps especially) and potentially by RMTing.

I've leveled a character to 90, solo and self-found, and that took a lot longer than a week. It was a constant struggle not for survival, but for maps and XP. Your highest level is 77, at which point you get a lot of XP still even in Lunaris 3. Go ahead and try for 87 or 90, and see how you'd feel if that process took even longer. The game is really very different at that point.

I'm not saying this to "flame" you. I, too, thought that solo leveling to 90 and beyond would be trivial and "just" a matter of time. Yes, it's just a matter of time, but it starts getting un-fun very quickly when you run out of maps and have to fall back to doing maps that won't even give you 1% of your XP bar, and that is before 90. Now, if someone has an endless supply of 76+ maps, you can level pretty fast. But this is not the case for most people.

Above all, what you suggest would make the game an even bigger, even less satisfying grind. I don't know about you, but I don't play video games to reproduce the experience of being in a forced labor camp. I play video games to have fun. Sluggish progress, weak characters, and having to kite constantly (cf. Diablo 3 Inferno mode when it was released) is not something I enjoy. For me, the goal in an ARPG is to create a character that at some point dominates monsters and disposes large quantities of them quickly.

PoE already makes it very difficult to reach that "god level", and you are never really invincible, but doubling the HP of monsters would make things really tedious. Making trash mobs slow to kill adds nothing to the game.

In short: No, thanks.
Play hardcore, then see if you still feel this way.

Also, what happened to the feature where GGG promised to sell us our own leagues where we could set the ruleset.

Then people like you could buy your own league and do exactly this, and see how popular it would be.

Ultimately though, hell no to your ideas, the games biggest problem is mobs spike damage.
"
Cudez wrote:
Hey,

The following is just my personal perspective and a thing that causes dissatisfactin in PoE atm. Im a Softcore person so this does not apply 100% to Hardcore aspects.

Main problem I have is that the game has evolved from being "defensive" to "too offensive". People play to almost 95 in a week now when earlier it took months to get there.

The fact that Crit was nerfed in 1.30 only shows that the dps numbers are getting out of hand - and even after the nerf we are - in my opinion - in almost a situation where there is no turning back. The nerfs would need to be too severe to balance the game.

Howver, nerf is always not the only option there is to balance game. I have some ideas that might help.

1) Directly increase mob hp and damage. An increase of 200% monster Life and 35% increase in damage would make people:
a) Work harder to kill mobs.
b) Build defensively again since you need to survive the Base damage multipliers of mobs. By this I mean that it just simply doesnt do always that you implement some Spike damage mechanics into game and except that people will start playing defensively again. That only kills HC players and does nothing else.

Maybe just the increase in HP would suffice since - the more time you have to spend killing mob the more lethal it gets overtime since you take more damage in total / mob.

2) Make new difficulty levels like additional player levels. To be honest I came to think this from Diablo 2 and 3 that have these "additional difficulty" level mechanics. Some like Dark Souls and Torchlight have "New game+" that is similar to what I aim at.

This change would make it simple to give players new levels of difficulty to achieve/to play on at. Maybe just add experience/loot boost when you raise difficulty from say 1 to 10.

i wrote this just cause I feel disappointed on the direction PoE is heading. One Shot mechanics just make this game a boring with one type of gameplaystyle - max deeps.

Best
cudez

my build would not be effected even at 500% hp i would still kill just as fast LULZ game mechanics

Example when im solo vs 4 people in the party i still kill as fast
i can still sprint through double reflect
L E V E L 78
maps at full speed and i do not even have to use my main skill i can just use leap slam

just saying

L M A O

double hp will not change a thing neither will dmg icrease since i have like 95 all resist when i pop my ele flasks
Last edited by Dextera on Dec 18, 2014, 3:30:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info