Is the written tooltip DPS of spectral throw correct?

I see that spectral throw hits each enemy twice because of the boomerang return.

Am I correct to say that the true dps is actually twice of the tooltip DPS or has the return damage already been taken into account?
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Am I correct to say that the true dps is actually twice of the tooltip DPS or has the return damage already been taken into account?

Nope. ST can hit a fair bit more than twice. Controlling your distance properly and/or slowing the projectiles can hit a good 4-5+ times per use.

No point in trying to account for a set number of hits in the tooltip when the number of hits isn't reliable.
Wowww. I am to decide between a low life crit Reave shadow or low life crit spectral throw shadow. I guess the answer is clear for me now lol.
"
Deadpeng wrote:
Wowww. I am to decide between a low life crit Reave shadow or low life crit spectral throw shadow. I guess the answer is clear for me now lol.

Yes neither
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
"
Shppy wrote:
ST can hit a fair bit more than twice........projectiles can hit a good 4-5+ times per use.

This is false.

It is true and obvious that the projectiles can hit again on the return, but spectral throw can only hit once (per attack) every 0.3 seconds. It has a small damage cooldown to prevent what you are claiming. Also the projectiles cannot shotgun.

Basically it's nearly impossible to get it to deal damage more than twice to a target per attack.
Last edited by whoismiked on Dec 18, 2014, 7:47:45 AM
oops double post
Last edited by whoismiked on Dec 18, 2014, 7:45:16 AM
"
whoismiked wrote:
Basically it's nearly impossible to get it to deal damage more than twice to a target per attack.

It's extremely simple to get three hits; simply place an enemy smack-dab on top of the return point, and the slow-arse turn will offer a large enough timespan to get three hits.

Four hits requires Knockback, but the same principle applies; plonk 'em in the return point.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
whoismiked wrote:

It's extremely simple to get three hits; simply place an enemy smack-dab on top of the return point, and the slow-arse turn will offer a large enough timespan to get three hits.

Four hits requires Knockback, but the same principle applies; plonk 'em in the return point.

I wouldn't consider; needing the exact perfect distance, you and the mob to be in sync, the mob to not move at all, and not be using faster projectiles "extremely easy".
Last edited by whoismiked on Dec 18, 2014, 8:21:07 AM
You can also go to extremes and take point blank and socket slower projectiles. It works, but you are giving up the one big advantage of ST (range) and have to bother with the weaknesses (windup and that it doesn't shotgun).
It's almost best to ignore tooltip dps. It can be very misleading.

Imagine you're cast ice spears or cold arrow. Adding cold penetration will not change your tooltip dps, but might significantly alter your real damage dealt - especially to monsters with high resists.

GGG makes some effort with the tooltip for new player simplicity, but it is a crap shoot to use it for real planning at end game. By the way, the displayed evasion % is not perfect either.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info