How much %Armor is too much / counter-productive?

Heya

Making a armor+life based staff build. Just wondering how much armor is too much if there is such thing?
I read that armor - at a certain point - is... bad? Because huge hits will eat through armor anyway.

The reason I'm asking is because my build has +250% armor. This armor is due to sacrificing some stuff for more armor and I'm wondering if this "Sacrifice so much for more armor" is actually bad considering what you gain from it.

My reasoning is - since I dont use shield (Hardcore), more armor is needed. Can some POE guru give me advice? :S
Technically there is no such thing as too much armor.

Of course, with limited resources (tree nodes, gear), at some point you're giving up armor for another kind of defense, which starts bringing "which defense is best?" into the equation.

Armor alongside endurance charges is a sight to behold.
Armor by itself is not particularly good compared to every other available defense.

And of course, you're still going to have to solve the elemental damage problem. Armor does nothing for you if you get chunked in the face by a fireball (or 20).
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 17, 2014, 7:15:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply :)

My build already has 3 end charges and I'm planning a 4th from bandit. So 7 end charge with end charge on crit should keep me at 7 constantly (decent crit).

Do you think 200% armor will suffice considering 7 end charges and end charge on crit?
Last edited by Ouroboros226 on Dec 17, 2014, 7:18:14 PM
I think that'll work out very nicely, but as before, the elemental aspect is going to be very tenuous.

Evasion, dodge, block (especially spell block), and MindOverMatter all mitigate elemental damage.
Even Arctic Armour mitigates some elemental damage (specifically fire).
It's elemental damage that ends up being the major killer at high levels.

You'll want to max your resists at all times (moreso than other builds) and you might want to consider the Purity of Ice/Fire/Lightning auras and a set of the elemental flasks (Sapphire, Ruby, Topaz), even.

Hopefully GGG can come up with some way to start mitigating elemental damage on the strength side of the tree soon. Until then, characters with default strength-esque defenses (non-casting Templar, Marauder, non-ranged Duelist) are going to keep having problems. That set of archetypes is currently the most underplayed in the whole league, and for good reason.

---

Don't let me dissuade you too much. End charge + armor will get you very far in the game.
Last edited by pneuma on Dec 17, 2014, 7:22:43 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
I think that'll work out very nicely, but as before, the elemental aspect is going to be very tenuous.

Evasion, dodge, block (especially spell block), and MindOverMatter all mitigate elemental damage.
Even Arctic Armour mitigates some elemental damage (specifically fire).
It's elemental damage that ends up being the major killer at high levels.

You'll want to max your resists at all times (moreso than other builds) and you might want to consider the Purity of Ice/Fire/Lightning auras and a set of the elemental flasks (Sapphire, Ruby, Topaz), even.

Hopefully GGG can come up with some way to start mitigating elemental damage on the strength side of the tree soon. Until then, characters with default strength-esque defenses (non-casting Templar, Marauder, non-ranged Duelist) are going to keep having problems. That set of archetypes is currently the most underplayed in the whole league, and for good reason.

---

Don't let me dissuade you too much. End charge + armor will get you very far in the game.

Thanks again, very informative. Stone of Lazwar gives 50% block to spells. But staff only have 28% block max (with 18% block staff). Which means it will only give 14% spell block. Do you think this is worth it or are there better ways to get ele resist?
I ll give an more honest answer. No matter how much armor will not be enough. Therefore people rather give up on armor instead.
"
"
Deadpeng wrote:
I ll give an more honest answer.

'Honest' is not the word you want to use here, because it implies pneuma is being dishonest.

He most certainly is not.

The word you're looking for is 'realistic'...and even that is somewhat antagonistic.

Do you have any advice Charan, or did pneuma pretty much nail it?
If your worried about physical damage late game Immortal Call with Increased duration will solve all your worries since it gives physical immunity. Pick up endurance charge duration and both increased skill duration clusters and your set.
The biggest problem I've had with armour is when you start to do maps with +% damage added as cold/fire/lightning (especially when combined with other map mods like vulnerability/ele weakness/fleet).

Had a level 85ish dw, armour scion who had 0 problems with most maps and could relatively happily do Poorjoy's, stepped into a Residence with a bad mod combo, got killed by a bunch of tentacle miscreations before I could reach them to start leeching. Had 25% block, Iron Reflexes + Unwavering Stance + 5k life, achieved 60k armour with Grace + Determination + Granite flask of Iron Skin + Jade flask of Reflexes. Don't play that char anymore...
[2.2] Varunastra/Prismatic Eclipse DW Beserker /forum/view-thread/1604711
[2.2] Drunken Wretch - (Gladiator with The Retch + Broken Faith) /forum/view-thread/1656234
A common misconception: "Armor is less effective against big hits" does not mean "armor is useless against big hits". Your armor might mitigate 70% from small hits and 30% from big hits, but that's still a lot of damage you're mitigating and for many characters that kind of mitigation is not feasible through other routes.

But as has been said earlier, the real problem is with elemental damage. There's really nothing you can do about that except Purity of X auras, flasks, and going Path of Life Nodes.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info