White Screen PC freeze

For some time now, PoE has been freezing my PC at random intervals, sometimes even the reset button does not work anymore. There is no error message Since 1.3 this has happend ever more frequently, I can barely play 30 min without crash now. So far, I have
-updated my video/audio drivers
-checked my CPU/GPU, they never go above 60
-validated the PoE game files via Steam
to no avail. My specs are:
Windows 7 64bit
Intel I5-3570K @3.4 GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 4 GB

The pc seems to crash without creating a dump file - at least I didnt find one. Is there anything else I can try to do about it?
Hi bERt0r,

Would you be able to run a dxdiag for us and post it on here (in spoiler tags)?

Also it might be worth trying to add "-swa" to your Path of Exile shortcut to see if that helps, in case it might sound card related:

Has any exile really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
The forum didnt let me post the dxdiag so i put it on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/R0sqdJGb
I tried softwareaudio some time ago but that didnt help. I'll see if it helps now.

Edit: I just found out I have been playing with -swa all this time, I had it in the Steam start options of POE. I'm gonna try without and see if it helps. I just crashed again after <10 minutes gametime.
Last edited by bERt0r on Dec 17, 2014, 9:06:34 PM
Can you try instead using -ns? While this will disable your sound, this may confirm that there is a conflict between your sound card and Path of Exile.

If the game stops crashing with this parameter, you may need to try updating your sound device drivers.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
Thanks for your help, I think i resolved the issue. Most likely it was the sound drivers. While I did run the game with -swa, I had to choose the "Generic Software on <My Sound Device>" in the options menu to prevent the crashes. I assume the option was reset after the patch to the default device.
:( Last patch broke the game for me again. The same crashes occur. I could play fine all day until the patch hit.

Edit: I guess the same thing happened again. It seems, after each patch the used sound device gets reset, but it doesnt show up in the options menu. After I set it to the standard device, saved and set it back to the "Generic Software" I no longer crash. Should I report this as a bug?
Last edited by bERt0r on Dec 20, 2014, 10:17:42 AM
PoE keeps resetting the Sound Device to the default randomly. I'm forced to check every time i start up the game to check if the correct sound device is set. After that, it seems to be hard to convince the computer to use that sound device I chose on the list - the selected option just gets reverted to the default.
I am still having this problem and it won't let me play the game at all anymore. The game crashes right after the Town loads.
The problem lies with the sound. I start up POE via Steam with the startup options -swa. In the options dialog, my default sound device is selected but it won't let me change it. So far, I have only been able to play with having the sound device set to a "Generic Software X" setting. The drop-down box just wont accept it when I select something else.
Hi there,

Is there any chance you could try the Standalone Client and tell us if there's any change to the performance at all?
No longer works at GGG
Running the Standalone Client will make me have to validate my email countless of times again - switching over from Steam is not an option for me.

I also remember having this same problem on the standalone client, but that was years ago.

I made a little picture album describing my problem. It seems mostly UI related:

http://imgur.com/a/7aOI6#0

The titles above and the description below the images discribe the weird bahaviour.
Last edited by bERt0r on Jan 28, 2015, 3:59:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info