Is rarity broken?

I just opened a strongbox with +1439% rarity and it dropped this:
http://i.imgur.com/b40A39o.jpg
From personal experience, that's normal. Hell I'd even go so far as to say that that is good luck there, I've had those boxes with that mod drop absolutely nothing several times now.
just because it's common, doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the rarity code

i'm seriously thinking there is something bugged with it at this point

but even if this somehow is "working as intended", then it probably needs to change... +1000s of % rarity and drops white items doesn't make any kind of logical sense at all
The range of possibilities for strongboxes has always been unintuitively broad.
I try to think of them as a source of monsters not items, but sometimes you don't get monsters.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
Darkfyre wrote:
I just opened a strongbox with +1439% rarity and it dropped this:
http://i.imgur.com/b40A39o.jpg

I'm guessing you had no rarity gear equipped as +1439% rarity of 0 is still 0%
It doesn't require rarity gear to work. It's the same stat as IIR gear so it will be additive with it.
Boxes have very low base rarity. Multiplying a small number results in a small number is all.

Edit: rarity on gear does not affect objects, just mobs.
Last edited by BackwoodsS on Dec 16, 2014, 2:46:56 PM
Another "is rarity broken" question just because a box shows over 1k rarity...yes it has that much rarity but its off a low to non existent base so its still a small chance to get good stuff. Sadly every game needs its MF fix and POE is no exception, i just wish for a game to get rid of the damn MF system altogether and just buff base drop rates across the board.
it needs either magic items as a mod or rare items as a mod

atleast thats what i think (because they do drop uniques more often than other boxes)
So you have 14.39 times the chance that you would normally have to get a rare item

What if the original chance is 1 in 100?

only 14 items out of 100 would be rare, on average

rarity isn't broken, it's just a concept that most of the player base doesn't even remotely understand

they see 1439% and immediately think that it should/is going to drop a rare item

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info