Haven't touched the ocean in years...

... For good reason too. You know I volunteered my time with senior citizens and till this day I can not get over the imagery this gentleman (a veteran) depicted? Thought I share it. It's not word for word, but enough that I remember the important parts.

"I remember I was in my bunker and it was an ACM day. I could hear the screams of my comrades, the small naval shop began to slowly tank on it's side. Eventually to make a long story short everyone was in the water. It was so cold, we huddled in the water to stay warm. It wasn't long till many of us succumbed to the temperatures. A day had passed we all were still waiting for help to arrive...

2 days became 3... 3 became 4... It was agonizing. My will to continue was fading and the majority of us floated motionless on the sea. I remember taking one of my comrades uniform to make a floating device, I felt horrible but he was already a goner. The last night before my rescue... Well it became the longest night.

In the middle of the night those that managed to survive began to scream. I couldn't make out what they were all fussing about,,, but of the few left, their motionless bodies began to jerk around. I swam over thinking someone needed help, but just cold blue faces. Than I saw it... The fin of a white tip... It was ominous. I heard stories of this shark, but never would I have come across such a monster of nature.

What I thought one was near; I was fooling myself... Dozens maybe hundreds surrounded us. As the night lingered I could hear the men scream, the sharks didn't care. Alive or dead how it chose it's victims beats me... I'm not ignorant I'm sure their beating hearts gave them away. Those screams of a dying man being ripped apart by one of natures perfect predators still haunts me till this day. I was one of the lucky ones you may say, but I reckon I learned my place in nature."
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Dec 16, 2014, 4:35:04 AM
question is,; has the ocean touched you?
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
It only tried to kill me once that I know of. I didn't take it personally.

Spoiler
In an age before weather satellites, we took a boat trip off the gulf coast of Florida. The return trip was through a hurricane. Only time I've been sea sick.
Whilst I doubt the legitimacy of your retelling, this story is true and I've heard many versions of it.

Survivors of 1945 sinking of the USS Indianapolis describe terrifying explosions and shark attacks during worst sea disaster in U.S. Naval history

Perhaps you have met one of the 38 survivors that are left, but again I highly doubt it.

But back to the ocean. The undersea documentaries that are available are breathtaking to watch. It's just like a alien planet that we as humans are still discovering.

Personally I hate the fucking ocean as I still bear the scars of being stung by an almost invisible bluebottle jellyfish when I was just 8 yrs old. I still remember the pain of the sting and the harsh rub of the sand on the wound afterwards.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Its possible to run into people from famous events. I ran into a guy that had been on the USS Thresher, but decided to fly back to the States as his tour was done instead of taking it back.

He still blames himself for not being on it when it was lost and drinks heavily because of it.
Possible yes, likely no.

Given Solwitch's post history, I'm reluctant to give his retelling any credence at all.

Still, I've been wrong before. But I trust my gut instinct because I've been right way more than I've been wrong.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

i hate water, i am a cat :)
My_Bloody_Valentine
"
Here in Australia, we're taught at a very young age that there is a far greater threat at the beach than sharks. A threat so terrifying it kept me away from the beach for years. You don't see it coming, and if it gets you, people rarely see you go.

And it's not a stingray. It's not even an animal.

That said, a kid was killed by a shark in Queensland yesterday, so that's a real threat too.

Reeeep
Dub.
Last edited by totalbackline on Dec 16, 2014, 7:22:38 AM
Rip tide/undertow

"you get caught in the undertow and no one will ever see you again"

play in the tide pools only
those are a lot warmer anyway
Last edited by HermitDragon on Dec 16, 2014, 10:58:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info