GGG had a way to fix Shock Nova, they even coded it and ...

My biggest problem with Shock Nova is that PowerCharge Discharge is Shock Nova++.
... Or AoF Ice Nova 3D, for a fire nova that shocks things without the hole in the middle.
... Or Static Strikes, as the OP describes (though scales completely differently/different supports).

---

Would love to see GGG put something on Shock Nova just to make it stand out. It kinda has the title of "best skill to apply shock with" due to the quality bonus, but it could use even more of that, or its shocks could be different, or... something.

Damage is a good start, but the numbers game won't save it. It needs something that makes people seek out and use the gem other than "oh I guess this does good damage now, time to shift the meta".

Theoretically, Lightning Warp + Shock Nova are a match made in heaven for super fast clear speed and stylish looks (similar shape, round peg in round hole), but nowadays it's just so much more efficient to use some other skill that doesn't match the point blank AoE nature of LW because that other skill does way more damage and scales in better ways and isn't quite as weak to desync.

/ramble
Another issue with Shock nova is that its power was being able to easly shock ennemies

but now that everything can convert anything into lightning damage and crit generate easy Elemental status ailments

Most lightning skillz feels useless, especially those who were made around shock

ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"Shock Nova can inflict [level scaled] additional* shock statuses"
"Shocks inflicted by Shock Nova have [level scaled]% reduced duration per additional shock."

SN was made less effective by capping shock stacks at one. Previously, it was the most efficient spell at applying full shocks to an entire pack in one cast (prolif). Undo this by increasing
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Dec 17, 2014, 9:10:17 PM
"
pneuma wrote:
Damage is a good start, but the numbers game won't save it. It needs something that makes people seek out and use the gem other than "oh I guess this does good damage now, time to shift the meta".

Yeah, I don't expect numbers to save it, as that would be more inflation. But currently, the numbers damn it. Low base crit (which hurts its shock), doesn't exceed Arc in shock value until 10% quality, new nodes for 10% shock chance near the Templar start, high mana cost, hole in the middle, and then on top of it all, low damage numbers... It's just so bad.

That's why I'd like to see them double the damage. It still wouldn't be the best option, but at least wouldn't be so obviously the worst.
Last edited by Mudpony on Dec 17, 2014, 9:32:34 PM
The skill needs a redesign to be interesting, and if they put in that effort why attach the result to something with a bad reputation?

Anyway, if they do it I'd like to see the Nova animation start with zero radius and expand outward. It could have a knockback effect like Shockwave Totem. The damage multiplier would vary by distance, perhaps to retain its current flavor the damage peaks at mid-range, and is a bit lower very close or very far.
Knockback appears to fit well with SN because of the deadzone; it is not a flavor of SN itself though, but a synergy. E.g., Lightning Warp/Leap Slam/Sweep + Knockback -> Shock Nova.

If there were to be a redesign to Shock Nova, presumably to compensate for its dead zone, why would it have KB itself? It is thematically irrelevant to Shock Nova, merely a synergy is shares with other skills.

If SN's deadzone behavior were to change, what would necessitate "new SN" to have KB?

This is why I'm 99% against redesigning SN. It is a thematic and well designed skill (in that it is unique; not that it is ideal in a rubberband-prone environment or that it's statistical values have remained relevant), and most suggestions do not follow the plot.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Dec 18, 2014, 9:22:02 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info