[Work] Do you do work log hours?

Anyone here feels the same frustration on having to do detailed work log hours?

Here in my work, we use Atlassian JIRA.
For each JIRA ticket, I have to click "More > Log Work", put in 30 mins, and optionally put in some comments.
Everyday I have to do this 15 times on average.
And you have to make sure that you complete 7.5 hours a day.

Unfortunately, the JIRA Server is hosted on Sydney, and it's an Ocean away from here. So everytime you do a worklog, it feels like your cursed with Temporal Chains + Hex Master; the page loads so slow.

You lose focus on your work, in my case, brain-intensive programming work.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time. I do get that "company security"/accounting reasons for this; but I don't think it should be this detailed. Right? Any opinions?

How about in Grinding Gear Games, you guys do work log hours?

I have even made a tool called Sickle and Hammer:
(so I don't open every jira ticket and log 1 by 1):
https://code.google.com/p/sickle-and-hammer/

Spoiler

PS: I recently can't use the tool here, the server admins probably disabled Basic Auth. I haven't had the time to ask them and update my tool. That's why I'm writing this post whining.
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Last edited by ManicCompression on Dec 14, 2014, 10:24:54 PM
My last job in printing, we had to keep track of our time in six minute increments for billing purposes. Everything took a minimum of six minutes no matter if it only took one.

I worked third shift by myself in my department and in the first two hours I could fill my time card for the next five. As we made books, we had a huge library for me to read to kill time until my last hour when I started working again in case someone came in early.

Spoiler
I got excellent reviews as I got more work done than first shift. Go figure.
In my first two or three years in my job I would typically be doing over 100 hours a week, and sometimes (not infrequently) at or above 120 hours per week (I was working weekends as well obviously).

Almost 16 years later and I don't work anywhere near those hours, but as with many professional careers, the early years can be a test of stamina, amongst other things.

P.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
In my first two or three years in my job I would typically be doing over 100 hours a week, and sometimes (not infrequently) at or above 120 hours per week (I was working weekends as well obviously).

Almost 16 years later and I don't work anywhere near those hours, but as with many professional careers, the early years can be a test of stamina, amongst other things.

P.

Petrov, log hours are not exactly the same thing as long hours, but I feel you - I read long hours as well.

300 hours a month is my personal record, often averaged 250h for five years straight. Longest streak - 24.5h non stop, not even a five minute nap. Fun fact - that workday I clocked in at 8am and clocked out at 8.30 am - I was worried that they would count that as 30 minutes instead of 24h 30 minutes lol.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
Long hours? Every Friday when I worked for the local newspaper was 6am to 2pm and then 6pm to 2am. Often we had to do special projects in between. Longest day? 29 hours. (I was 19)
"
Moonyu wrote:
Longest day? 29 hours. (I was 19)

Daaeem bro. I got to add that my job involved a lot of physical strain and some heavy lifting - just so I don't feel so defeated by an old goat.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
"
Moonyu wrote:
My last job in printing, we had to keep track of our time in six minute increments for billing purposes. Everything took a minimum of six minutes no matter if it only took one.

I worked third shift by myself in my department and in the first two hours I could fill my time card for the next five. As we made books, we had a huge library for me to read to kill time until my last hour when I started working again in case someone came in early.

Spoiler
I got excellent reviews as I got more work done than first shift. Go figure.

Nice. Did you have access to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books like Dune or Forgotten Realms ^^ -- but did you get tired of this routine? - I mean, not being busy on something is not fulfilling.

I felt this on my last job., I was with big big company, and they put me into "Talent Pool" - lol. Which meant you have nothing to do until you get called for duty. So for about 3 mos, I spent my time reading technical books. But the routine bogged me down.

And oh yeah, logging your work hours there was like a double boss mod. I had to make a work log for the company you are in, and then another for the US Client that required us to do work log --- but lol -- since the client only granted us 1 account on their windows domain, only our team lead can put on our work log. So what we did was to log in an excel spreadsheet first., then pass to the team lead. LOL.
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
"

Nice. Did you have access to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books like Dune or Forgotten Realms ^^ -- but did you get tired of this routine? - I mean, not being busy on something is not fulfilling.

I read a lot. Mostly picked books at random and some where medical text books or technical texts. I also spent a great deal of time writing. Not like I do now, but I filled notebook after note book with story lines.

But near the end, after we had broke every company record for production getting the first three Harry Potter books out when they came to America, they announced the plant shutdown. So I started bringing in a small TV and VCR. The night production manager and I would watch movies all night.

Now I have a much better job, but while on the nightshift I actually started writing stories for these clowns. But now I'm back on days and still writing. Training manuals, complaint investigation reports, and other fun stuff like that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info